after curing weed smells like hay?

• Thread starter captainkip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

captainkip

after my last harvest i hung it for 5 days (popcorn sized buds) cut them off the stems threw them into a paper bag for a day then threw them into a jar for a day burping them every few hours put them back in the paper bag for a day and then back into the jar seemed quite dry and was smokeable but smelt like hay and had basically no taste now for the actual question i cut a small branch off of my plant that i have flowering now the bud is nearly dry and still smells like hay? any advice?

After curing weed smells like hay

R

Rabbi

Take all veg off flower. Before hanging

Dry in darkness, colder the better down to low 60's no humitity.

Dry till Stem crack and dosent bend then but away for cure.

light is the enemy after harvest

N

nor cali farmer

pure water for 2 weeks before cutting down. thc joe

B

biggs

thanks still about 3-4 weeks left on the plant didn't know to do it on the last plant =P

when you cut a plant down early it will smell like hay when it drys. check the trichs before chopping.

C

chranotik

it will also smell like hay if it's not dried for about 14 days or more and cured properly burping the chlorophyll out of the jars (this is what smells like hay) .. generally like a couple weeks after or a month of curing it should start smelling like dank and not gas.

C

captainkip

also didn't know that but i did know to check the trich's to see if it's done
when you cut a plant down early it will smell like hay when it drys. check the trichs before chopping.

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Hmm.. If your growing Greenhouse Seeds or some inferior genetics, then you might not be able to get any smell at all. How are your genetics?

My gear st8 off the vine will be chem funk, kerosin fuel, or pineapple skunk piss, whatev. I used to think that all herb needed a "cure" to get that chem, skunk, sweet, or hashy smells and tastes. Not so.. Granted it helps a lot and helps the breakdown process.. But it all comes down to genetics, imvho..

I would def. flush for 2 weeks prior to harvests.. Allow for a slow and long dry with all the leaves on the plant, if ya want, you can cut the large fan leaves only. I allow for a min of 14 days to about 21 days for drying. I do not remove anything from the plant during this time. Once stems crack, I jar up and ready. Burp as will..

I had to make a separate small drying room to achieve optimum conditions in my environment. We go thru all this trouble with expensive nutes, lights, fans, bloom & veg boosters, etc., to have an amazing final product, why skimp on the drying room.. .02

C

captainkip

it actually seems like pretty good genetics but it's just bag seed but it has to be atleast decent genetics seeing the trich's i smoked the small bud i had picked off and it tasted pretty good very nice taste to it i don't know how to describe the taste though it was the opposite of earthy i guess
I agree with tex, genetics is everything. You can take the best cut, screw it, and dry it any way you want, its still going to be dank. lol On the other hand you can give crap to a master grower and you still get crap.

V

virgil

Allow for a slow and long dry with all the leaves on the plant, if ya want, you can cut the large fan leaves only. I allow for a min of 14 days to about 21 days for drying. I do not remove anything from the plant during this time. Once stems crack, I jar up and ready. Burp as will..

When I've not immediately trimmed, much of the smaller leaves dry extremely close to the bud. This makes it very hard to trim later and kind of gives it an outdoors look. Like someone had too much work to trim very well.

Do you just leave the buds like this and smoke those trich covered leaves on the bud in spite of a loss of bag appeal? It also seems like more crystals fall off when handling dried buds.

all due respect and thanks..

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
for the best smell make sure the plant is really dry before you put it into jars or bags. i dont mean like brittle dry i just mean dry enough so that when you put it into jars it dont sweat and get real wet again. a little moist is good but to moist and you will lose your smell.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

I don't really understand why the paper bags are necessary. Why not just go from rack to jar. You can stick a hygrometer in one of the jars to read the RH. Why not do this & adjust accordingly (quick burp, leave the top off for x hrs, or back to the rack). What does a paper bag accomplish in terms of drying that the rack doesn't?

sedate

sedate

Genetics? Please . . .

Tex said:
My gear st8 off the vine will be chem funk, kerosin fuel, or pineapple skunk piss, whatev. I used to think that all herb needed a "cure" to get that chem, skunk, sweet, or hashy smells and tastes. Not so.. Granted it helps a lot and helps the breakdown process.. But it all comes down to genetics, imvho..

purpleberry said:
I agree with tex, genetics is everything. You can take the best cut, screw it, and dry it any way you want, its still going to be dank. On the other hand you can give crap to a master grower and you still get crap.

I couldn't disagree more.

Especially with you purpleberry "crap genetics to a master and get crap" - :rofl

Quality caretakership of even middling genetics can easily produce great pot.

The genetics of a particular cut might determine whether a plant is suited to outdoors or indoors, gets strectchy or not, internode spacing and lateral growth profile, and, most importantly for med users, the ratios of CBN and CBD, among whatever dozen other cannabinoids there are, and THC, within the flowers themselves.

But - like so many things - it is not even close to the end of it. The temperature, pests, light spectrum, fertilizers, flush method, and grow medium all play just as important a role as 'genetics' - after all - the environment is what determines the expression of those genetics.

The genetics don't determine that chlorophyll, improperly broken down, smells like hay. This is 'genetic' only in the sense that it is universal among the species.

ANY cut of marijuana, improperly cut, dried, and cured, smells like hay.

Any phenotype.

virgil said:
it actually seems like pretty good genetics but it's just bag seed but it has to be atleast decent genetics

It's not your seed source, it's your cure method.

Believe that.

First of all - if it's bagseed, that means, more likely than not, some cartel grew it in a national forest somewhere for commerical sale - with genetics designed for commerical output - these guys aren't dumb - and the cartel scene is re-tooling all operations south of the border to meet "medical" demand - so your genetics are probably alot better than you might imagine on first blush - even if the herb you took the seed from wasn't that good.

Anyway - I can't even count the number of great grows I started from bagseed - let alone the number of times my friends have. Dozens and dozens of great crops in my lifetime . . .

Look virgil - there are dozens and dozens of excellent cure tutorials out there.

Fire up your search function and, most importantly, BE PATIENT.

This is a bitch - after waiting four months for the nugs the final three weeks to cure KILLS me too - but you really gotta take your time here.

Don't underestimate the amount of time the buds need to hang before they can go in jars. This is the most critical step in the organic breakdown that gives us that smell we all crave.

A good quality cure - devoid of all hay smell - will take at least two weeks for popcorn, and up to three and a half for big colas.

J

John Smith Esq.

Im with you on this Fader, i dont see the point of paper at all in curing. i rack it for 14 days or more sometimes, then straight to jars and burp for 15mins ish a day for a few weeks, drying/curing is almost an artform in itself, imo the longer it takes the better the taste/smell. for example my winter weed is alot nicer than my summer weed if i dont meddle with humidity.

i have heard that paper absorbs resins though which is the main reason i dont use it.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Im with you on this Fader, i dont see the point of paper at all in curing. i rack it for 14 days or more sometimes, then straight to jars and burp for 15mins ish a day for a few weeks, drying/curing is almost an artform in itself, imo the longer it takes the better the taste/smell. for example my winter weed is alot nicer than my summer weed if i dont meddle with humidity.

i have heard that paper absorbs resins though which is the main reason i dont use it.

My humidity is around 50% (evenings at least) here in SoCal. I chopped Mon morning & jarred last night - 3.5 days drying (lights off in tent w/ scrubber running) - and the hygrometer was reading 62% RH in the jar this morning. I don't understand how people are drying beyond a few days. Seems like if I went a week they would be waaayyy overdried.

D

Dubwobble

A brown paper bag is used when the humidity in the house is too high to allow "rack drying".

The paper with pull the moisture out of the buds into the paper. You just open the bags and turn the buds every day or so.

Kid Twist is dead on with his quote:
for the best smell make sure the plant is really dry before you put it into jars or bags. i dont mean like brittle dry i just mean dry enough so that when you put it into jars it dont sweat and get real wet again. a little moist is good but to moist and you will lose your smell.

This is really the most important part.

The difference between A+ Grade and other grades of weed is the cure.

B

blahman

Right after mine is dried it always smells like hay or green if you know what I mean. But after a month or so in jars the smell comes out. I find if you take a bud that smells like hay and squeeze it just a bit you can smell what your going to get after a good cure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom