After how many generations do the genetics start to get disturbed.

• Thread starter HighTolerance
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HighTolerance

Hi Fellow,

I tried searching around on this matter but couldn't find any good references, just people giving their opinion. Is there any solid info on this matter.

If I only need 2-4 cuttings every round, I can easily get by without keeping a mother.

How important do you folks think it is to keep a mother?

After how many generation do the genetics start getting funky and plant looses its positive traits?

I think it would vary from strain to strain, but I don't have enough experience to know how the plant would be after many generations, say a dozen.

I thank you guys and really look forward to all the info from everyone.

Cheers and have a jolly one.

S

spinkus

There is no definitive answer HT. All genetics differ so much. One strain might be cloned for 20 years without a hiccup, where another female starts to hermie after only after a couple years.

Keeping a mother is "very" important when you find that one plant you can't live without. You'll know exactly what I mean when you let one of those specimens go. Almost feels like you've lost a best friend...

S

sunsimulator

Hi Fellow,

I tried searching around on this matter but couldn't find any good references, just people giving their opinion. Is there any solid info on this matter.

If I only need 2-4 cuttings every round, I can easily get by without keeping a mother.

How important do you folks think it is to keep a mother?

After how many generation do the genetics start getting funky and plant looses its positive traits?

I think it would vary from strain to strain, but I don't have enough experience to know how the plant would be after many generations, say a dozen.

I thank you guys and really look forward to all the info from everyone.

Cheers and have a jolly one.

I do not think you can " ware out genes" . a myth that a plant can lose it's genetic make up after so many years is just crazy ,I have kept plants 11 years plus .
What you can do is fok it up via,, environment , feeding it wrong, virus's, Bacteria .These things can alter code sequence in the DNA.

M

Malachi

I do not think you can " ware out genes" . a myth that a plant can lose it's genetic make up after so many years is just crazy ,I have kept plants 11 years plus .
What you can do is fok it up via,, environment , feeding it wrong, virus's, Bacteria .These things can alter code sequence in the DNA.

Agreed Sun, stress can play a huge part in tiring out a mother plant. After 3 or 4 cycles I will often times create a new mother plant to keep the vigor. I also notice that by doing this clones root quicker and establish root's much faster than on an older plant. (no scientific evidence, just personal observation)

B

Budhog

I don't keep mothers anymore. I just clone my veg plants before I flip them. I have a good success rate with the cloning and I don't have to worry about taking care of moms. I think everyone has their own way, I just prefer this one.

Edit: It's easy for me tho. Living in Cali, if i lose some genetics, I can just pick up more. So non mmj states might look at my response differently.

H

HighTolerance

Thanks you everyone for your great input.

At the moment I have OG and Casey. I want to keep the OG around as I really like its pain healing effect. Once I find a strain which is as potent as the OG and has a high yield I wouldn't mind replacing the OG with it.

I am giving Casey Jones a shot, so far the CJ looks amazing and of course CJ is one of the highest yielding bitch out there.

Say the CJ turns out to be as potent or perhaps even more potent then the OG, then I will just drop the OG and keep the CJ. Since I will only grow one strain I will easily be able to keep a mother, I really hope CJ turns out good because as much as I like OG, it certainly sucks when it comes to the yield so OG wouldn't cut it for me if that is all I was growing.

OG from the last one. only pulled off 3 ounces from ~400watts in a very very tight space, but all the 3oz were extremely dank. I know I could pull of more with more experience but it is still not enough
59367d1261761363-i-think-i-got-really-good-cut-og-help-me-identify-dsc06754.jpg

59366d1261761363-i-think-i-got-really-good-cut-og-help-me-identify-dsc06773.jpg

59926d1262123387-medical-grow-coco-1200w-himalayan-gold-og-kush-dsc07016.jpg

Here the Casey Jones at day 26. I am really hoping that it is potent enough for dealing with a lot of pain and muscle spasms. Weak stuff just doesn't cut it.

Res1
Res2
Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
HT your pics look pretty good homie. i understand wanting more yield but your quality does look pretty good man....if cheef those meds most def :)

H

HighTolerance

HT your pics look pretty good homie. i understand wanting more yield but your quality does look pretty good man....if cheef those meds most def :)

Thanks Skunk Masta Flex, LOL that is a sick screen name. I couldn't understand the last part of your post (in red).

Yeah most def the OG was one of the best smokes I ever had, and it was the first time I grew anything. So I know I would only get better with growing OG.

What do you thing about the CJ. I was told that it is Joe's Cut but a lot of people have been BSing about that so what do you folks reckon, shmoe or not shmoe.

BTW, best of luck to Joe and his family, everyone in the community really owes him for his work.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
LOL, i type fast as hell, your right that made no sense hahaha. meant to say....I'd cheef those meds most def!....sorry homie, i get sloppy sometimes :)

Top Bottom