air conditioning blowing in sealed room causing crazy air pressure

• Thread starter Drizzle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Drizzle

Drizzle

The air conditioning blowing in my sealed flower room makes it near impossible to close the door. it swings open so fast if I don't put something heavy behind it. Any suggestions? Is it okay that the door swings open like crazy. Like right now there is no door knob on the door (no c02 yet) and the air flows so hard out the door knob hole. I would rather not exhaust from the room directly so when I flower I can keep the c02 in the room at all times. any suggestions? Is it bad for the plants that the pressure is kinda crazy?

purpleberry

purpleberry

What kind of AC? Sounds like you dont have the return hooked up right, All that air should be going back into the ac, Is your ac sucking air froim out side?

ttystikk

ttystikk

A good AC unit uses different air to cool the compressor coils than the air it's supposed to be keeping cool. Find that hot air exhaust and get it out of the room. Find the cold air intake that feeds the aforesaid exhaust and make sure that air is coming in from outside your growroom as well. This will solve your pressure problem, and will likely help the unit work better to boot-

Bannacis

Bannacis

you want to have a negative pressure, so that your smells wont be pushed into the rest of your living space.( i take it your in a home).
as for co2 you don't need it all the time, when lights out, your plants will not use co2.
what kind of a/c unit are you using? if its a window unit,it will draw air from outside, that's the cause of the positive pressure.
if you have some place to vent out air, vent from the top of your room. thaat is where the heat is and your co2 is heavier than air and
will be low in the gearden.

Drizzle

Drizzle

well its a central air unit...one that can pull air from outside if its cold enough outside...saving me $ air conditioning when its cold out.
So I should exhaust from the ceiling in my sealed room even when I'm treating it with c02 during the day? Should I blow it into the other part of my garage or outside? Also, I understand it will smell when the air pressure is being pushed out cause of the negative pressure and no exhaust....but won't it smell just as much if I exhaust? I guess atleast I'll be able to control where the air is coming out?

Bannacis

Bannacis

central air uses your existing furnace duct and air intake, depends on how your furnace works, if its recirculating or has an exterior intake of fresh air. easy to check.
don't exhaust if using co2, depends on temp, co2 use and no exhaust will raise temps. when temps get high...shut off co2 and exhaust air. then shut off exhaust and turn on co2.
only when lights on. at lights off don't use co2, and you can run exhaust continuously or put on timer. use a carbon scrubber on your exhaust, if your exhaust is powerful enough, that will create a negative pressure so you will not have air pushed out. positive pressure caused by central air and no exhaust will push out. run your exhaust to your garage, but use a carbon scrubber or your garage will smell
like Cheech and Chongs up in smoke van.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I don't know WTF people are talking venting your sealed room. Point of a sealed room is not to vent. I take it they don't run sealed rooms. Scrub your room. A scrubber with a fan on top works great.

Is it the central air off your house? If it is you need to put a return line in there so it will equal the pressure. Not sure if this is in your house or out in a garage or something similar. Most of the time people put in extra a/c lines and the gap under the door will not be sufficient or they seal it off to light proof it. Builds up a lot of pressure.

Even better is get a mini-split then you have total control and no air exchange problems. Also if you don't have bottles or a burner all the co2 is gone in about an hour or so. My meter will read zero when I turn my burner off after a while.

Drizzle

Drizzle

it is central air just for the garage...not off my house. just for that room so its blowing pretty hard in there.

when you say i need to put a return line in....what do you mean exactly?

thank you so much everyone for the input.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
it is central air just for the garage...not off my house. just for that room so its blowing pretty hard in there.

when you say i need to put a return line in....what do you mean exactly?

thank you so much everyone for the input.

You are blowing air from the A/C into a part of the house that has no connection to the main house or rooms. It is pushing air into your room with no air returning to the unit hence the positive pressure. You need to run a duct to the main part of your house or directly into your A/C return. This will equal out the pressure and keep everything kosher. Positive pressure is gonna have smell leaking out of your room if it's not totally sealed and you don't have order control on lock. I grow myself in a garage and this can be a bad move.

Drizzle

Drizzle

You are blowing air from the A/C into a part of the house that has no connection to the main house or rooms. It is pushing air into your room with no air returning to the unit hence the positive pressure. You need to run a duct to the main part of your house or directly into your A/C return. This will equal out the pressure and keep everything kosher. Positive pressure is gonna have smell leaking out of your room if it's not totally sealed and you don't have order control on lock. I grow myself in a garage and this can be a bad move.

I don't know how to mess with the AC unit like that....putting a duct on the return. I spent too much on it to break it. They told me not to mess with the big unit outside. I mean if I do have a totally sealed room and like 4 carbon filters in there is it okay to have a sealed room with no return...and crazy gusts of air that come out when I do open the door?

Or should I exhaust from the ceiling in the room with a filter that blows to the other part of the garage so the pressure won't be so crazy. the c02 stays low anyways right? I feel like it will still exhaust a bunch of the ppm's though. and that c02 burner running on propane will get expensive. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a sealed room

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

this just makes not a lick of sense. the ac should just be recirculating air throughout your room.......

It sounds like you are pushing air into your room from the ac rather than having the minisplit condenser inside the actual grow room.

A sealed room is one in which the ac recirculates the warm air cooling it down, you supplement c02, and scrub the air within the room with no exhaust anywhere. I don't understand how you are getting positive pressure here. Should be little to NO pressure difference.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
this just makes not a lick of sense. the ac should just be recirculating air throughout your room.......

It sounds like you are pushing air into your room from the ac rather than having the minisplit condenser inside the actual grow room.

A sealed room is one in which the ac recirculates the warm air cooling it down, you supplement c02, and scrub the air within the room with no exhaust anywhere. I don't understand how you are getting positive pressure here. Should be little to NO pressure difference.

Exactly. You might as well exhaust the room because it is in no way a sealed room.

T

tedsprogz

even if he put a return, it would fill the ductwork of the WHOLE house with CO2.

Drizzle

Drizzle

ok so my AC unit sucks air from outside and pushes it inside this room. And I have no exhaust anywhere so the pressure is causing my door to swing open. whatcha guys suggest.

thanks for the input.

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

change the unit in whatever way necesary, to pull air from your room only. Usually it just involves a single metal flange to block the air from out side but it sounds like there is no routing from your room ---> ac. Only ac----> Room. correct?

you may have to have hvac run to the room if it isn't set up this way yet.

I highly suggest calling whoever you had install such....

ttystikk

ttystikk

ok so my AC unit sucks air from outside and pushes it inside this room. And I have no exhaust anywhere so the pressure is causing my door to swing open. whatcha guys suggest.

thanks for the input.

Okay, so let's look at this again, from the beginning;
1. you have A/C from central air system pushing air into the room, causing overpressure.
2. since this is NOT a self contained A/C, you're not able to seal the room in the traditional sense.
3. positive pressure from this room is obvious when you open the door, and likely anytime you walk into the garage- after all, that air IS going somewhere, it's just not controlled.
4. I'm unclear about how or whether you're adding CO2.

First, you don't have a sealed room; by definition, a sealed room is one where the working air does not leave the room- and if you have an air intake, you're creating an outlet whether you like it or not- otherwise, you'd have no flow at all and your room would be overheating. Therefore, let's stop thinking about this as a sealed room for the time being because until you can install a cooling system that does not rely on air exchange for cooling, your room will not- cannot- be sealed.

The suggestion above to install a return duct for your room air to return to the A/C system will fill your house with the smell you're trying to eradicate- what else could reasonably be expected? The smell isn't gonna vanish on a trip thru the ductwork.

I'd like a bit more detail on your CO2 situation; are you supplementing, and if so, when and how? How this is done will make a big difference in how your room performs.

At the moment, I would install a carbon filter and an exhaust fan pulling through it up high in your room, and exhaust this waste air outside of the garage; don't worry about smell since the air will be filtered through the carbon filter. This will reduce but likely won't eliminate the smell in a garage, and it will help equalize pressure.

To create the pressure conditions you want (negative pressure in the room), you'll need to make sure the exhaust fan is pulling more air than the A/C is trying to push into the room. Adjust fan speeds, duct sizing or whatever to make this happen. Once this is properly done, the smell inside the garage should be a thing of the past.

CO2 naturally falls to the floor and is only spread around the room by fans, so place the filter and exhaust fan up high to limit this loss. Because the room is open, you're getting CO2 from the outside atmosphere- and what's more, you will likely not be able to significantly increase this percentage since you're turning the air in the room over so much.

Also, I'm betting your humidity is too low, due to the drying effects of central A/C and high air turnover. This would drastically limit the amount of CO2 the plants could take up anyway, since in dry weather they keep their stomata closed to reduce transpiration losses- which then leads to slowed growth.

To better control conditions, start by slowing the intake of A/C air as much as possible, while still maintaining acceptable temps in the room. In this case, less is definitely more. Adding humidity with a swamp cooler will help you twice; once in raising humidity, and again by the cooling action of evaporative cooling itself. This will reduce your need for A/C air as well. Seal and vent your lighting with air that is NOT coming from or blowing back into your room- this will reduce the heat load your cooling system has to cope with, making it easier to control the climate inside effectively.

To properly seal your room while still using the central A/C, look into using an "air to air" heat exchanger to shed the excess heat in your room without exchanging the working air inside. Other options are to get a minisplit, or a water chiller unit. It is at this point where you will need to ensure you're supplementing CO2, as the plants will deplete it quickly in a properly sealed space.

Drizzle

Drizzle

Well the AC has sort of a back draft damper. I think it's more of a way to suck air in if it's cold outside not so much to push air out.

So I guess I'll suck air out of the room with a carbon filter to even out the pressure a little. Not sure I want to have it going off certain times to give c02 treatment cause the air pressure being forced out of other spaces will make the smell leak out different spots. Will the c02 treatment be doable if I'm sucking out the air near the ceiling?

Drizzle

Drizzle

I mean...the air will find a way out even if I install a door knob right?

Top Bottom