Air cool the light?

• Thread starter Maton2219
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Maton2219

Maton2219

Hey everybody I have a 600w hps in a 6in reflector with a 40ib carbon filter and a active air 6in inline fan. A buddy of mine told me that since I already have an ac there is no point in aircooling the light. Another buddy of mine recomended that I vent the the light and the ac through the attic. I need help asap my plants are 30in tall and I wanna flower asap. The ac is 700 btu an the room is 8x8. Thank you

Maton2219

Maton2219

Come on guys, 61 views and no responses. I think I will go with my first thought and vent it through the roof. Here are some pics of the room. Excuse the mess. Any constructive criticism I would appreciate. This is my first grow.
http://i541.invalid.com/albums/gg387/Nathaniel1947/garden001.jpg
http://i541.invalid.com/albums/gg387/Nathaniel1947/garden002.jpg

T

Trichomie

i would suggest you vent everything into the attic. Make sure you have a passive intake also for fresh air to be drawn through while air is exhausted outa the room. But my opinion would be to run the exact set up you have but add ducting on the open light cooling side and run it to the attic. NOTE. ive heard the inline fans pull better than push so you could even move that inline up to the attic and have it pull air . Hope this helps! Peace

E

edux10

yeah, vent your lights so they are sealed with the blower fan pulling air from outside, taking it over the light, then out the room and into the attic. Make sure it is all air tight so your ac is not wasted and pulled out the room.

sedate

sedate

maton said:
A buddy of mine told me that since I already have an ac there is no point in aircooling the light

Um. Generally air-cooling lights is *always* a good idea.

However, a single 600 really isn't all that hot, especially enclosed on a fan like that. I have a 600w that I don't bother venting for my veg stage.

I don't really think you'd need to vent anywhere, but definately keep the bulb in the reflector with that fan on "medium" maybe. The room looks more than large enough to diffuse the heat from a single 600, especially with an AC in the mix.

Should be just fine.

Rest of the grow looks nice.

Plants look great for a first grow.

Maton2219

Maton2219

Thank all you guys. I just cut out a venting whole in the roof yesterday. I was told that I would need to vent the hot air in the attic out of an eve, due to moisture. I didn't really think one 600 would cause an issue with moisture in the attic. I live in extreme summer temperatures that regularly reach up to 117 daily. I finally get to flower and hope fully yield an ok amount.

T

Trichomie

Looks like you will do fine my friend. good luck. One note is i was taught to always put my inline at the end of the ventilation line. In theory it will be pulling air through your system instead of blowing it through.

Maton2219

Maton2219

Looks like you will do fine my friend. good luck. One note is i was taught to always put my inline at the end of the ventilation line. In theory it will be pulling air through your system instead of blowing it through.
Ok, your not the only one that has suggested that. Would the carbon filter still be as effective?

M

metameric

Premium Member
Supporter
With only a 700btu AC, I would definitely vent the light.

I always blow air from outside through the light then back out, keeping positive pressure in my lights ventilation system. This way, if anything leaks it is only leaking fresh air into the room, not stinky humid air out of the house.

Every watt generates roughly 3.4BTUs, so 600w=~2000BTU. With those crazy temps outside, you will have a hard enough time managing the temps with the light vented. Remember, fans, blowers, AC, etc all generate heat. They all add up in the end.

M

metameric

Premium Member
Supporter

What Trichomie says here is true for most applications as it is more efficient for inline fans to pull air than push it, but NOT for actively venting light heat with an outside intake. If you place it at the end of the chain, it will be pulling stinky air into the fixtures through the cracks in the line/tape and blowing it outside.

I would keep the room a closed system and have the carbon recirculating air around the room, keeping your AC cooled air in the house, but have a vent somewhere pull air into the room with a 6" 'inductor' (~$30 at home depot, lowes, etc) then blowing out your roof vent. No scrubbing is necessary, as there will be no stink sucked into the system.

Hope this helps.

Maton2219

Maton2219

I would keep the room a closed system and have the carbon recirculating air around the room, keeping your AC cooled air in the house, but have a vent somewhere pull air into the room with a 6" 'inductor' (~$30 at home depot, lowes, etc) then blowing out your roof vent. No scrubbing is necessary, as there will be no stink sucked into the system.
Okay, so your suggesting that I get another fan and pull air from another room in the house to keep it fresh? And should I stick what Sorry for being a newb, this is my first grow. Also is there any other upgrades that would be effective besides a co2 system that Im trying to get?
http://i541.invalid.com/albums/gg387/Nathaniel1947/garden003.jpg
http://i541.invalid.com/albums/gg387/Nathaniel1947/garden004-1.jpg

sedate

sedate

Much better pics there Maton.

Okay you're primed to go - but definately move that cannon fan to that exhaust you've got there. I'd mount it directly to the exhaust, with maybe some weatherstripping between the piping to keep vibration down.

Trichomie said:
ive heard the inline fans pull better than push so you could even move that inline up to the attic and have it pull air . Hope this helps! Peace

You've heard? Haha.

Yea, it's called the Bernoulli principle. Very important.

It's how planes fly.

Airflow will be far greater, always *much* better to pull that push - you get that high-pressure>low pressure Bernoulli effect of fluid dynamics - instead of just shoving the weight of the air around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

On that point, I disagree with pretty much everything Metameric posted:

Metameric said:
NOT for actively venting light heat with an outside intake. If you place it at the end of the chain, it will be pulling stinky air into the fixtures through the cracks in the line/tape and blowing it outside.

Yea for some reason hydro-employees spout this line of logic all the time but it's really a bad read of fluid dynamics and also inherently makes makes two poorly founded presumptions that Metameric himself doesn't make for his own suggestion 1) the hood is shitty; and 2) the insulated duct work has holes (what? Did you see his picture?)

Whatever "cracks" are in his hood (and lots of hoods are a little cheap here but Maton's looks okay - he can tell us if it is completely airtight or not) are going to be very large - if it's like my EasyCool6 - it might not be hermetically sealed, but it *is* effectively airtight.

If you have un-kinked ducting like Maton's and a large, powerful fan - like Maton's - you can pretty much point to places where air will move with no effort - and places where it will move only with *alot* of effort - like whatever 'cracks' on the corners of the hood for instance - you can again rely on the Bernoulli principle to tell you where the airflow will come from.

So if some infintesimally small fraction of the airflow is somehow "unfiltered" off the hood - it isn't going to generate some grow-revealing phantom smell.

. . . what might reveal some phantom smell is recirculating the same stagnant, pungent grow air through the same room over and over again . . .

Anyway, apparently, the same logic doesn't apply to Metameric's suggestion, since all the same "cracks" and holes in the line magically disappeer when you pull the air from the outside:

Metameric said:

Maton, put the fan at the end of the line. The carbon filter at the beginning, and the hoods and lights in the middle.

Everything flows best that way.

Keeps the air moving, smell down, and room cool.

Metameric said:
Every watt generates roughly 3.4BTUs, so 600w=~2000BTU.

Sort of - but not for HID lighting.

You're moving that watt around too much - letting it do to many things - a "watt" in an electrical rating somewhere doesn't immediately translate into that equivalent amount of heat-by-product.

The "600w" in 600w HPS means that the device has 600watts of input power at the bulb.

"Watt" is just a way of quantifying joules-per-second, the watts can't both be heat and light.

Obviously, most of that 600w is light.

Maton said:
Also is there any other upgrades that would be effective besides a co2 system that Im trying to get?

Um. To add co2 to that particular arrangement, you'd need to rework things pretty considerably and add a second cannon fan to effectively deal with odor.

Why don't you add another light or two first? You already have plenty of airflow.

co2 is the *last* thing to do here - you have lots of space and headroom with the equipment you have.

EDIT: Maton, I forgot you had a A/C there. Um - I actually would probably drop that - you'd free up electricity for lights and that cannon fan has got to move massive amounts of air.

If you really want to use it - Metameric was right about running a outside vent to the lamps, then back outside - that is the way to do this - but you'd have to get a second cannon fan to treat the air in the grow space itself with the carbon filter since the cannon fan you have will be taken up with lamp-cooling duty.

Maton2219

Maton2219

Thanks Sedate you have been a great help. I'm still trying to figure out how I could mount the fan onto the ceiling exhaust. The left side of the T is next to a stud and the studs are 24in apart in my house, which means I cant hang the fans on the studs. Do you guys have any other ideas on how to mount it?

M

metameric

Premium Member
Supporter
Anyway, apparently, the same logic doesn't apply to Metameric's suggestion, since all the same "cracks" and holes in the line magically disappeer when you pull the air from the outside:

The whole point of putting the fan at the beginning of the light-cooling chain is to maintain positive pressure in the lines, so the fresh air from outside is pushing out of the hood. The Bernoulli principle is irrelevant because you are sacrificing the efficiency for the sake of avoiding negative pressure. You would obviously need one or two inductors for that purpose not another cannon fan.

If you are growing schwag, maybe this doesn't matter. There are many strains where you can't afford any leaks though. A friend of mine did exactly what you suggested with quality hoods and did a very good job taping everything. However the gaps in the metal was enough to leak stray MassachusettsSuperSkunk outside. It wasn't intense but consistently noticeable. That to me is a security flaw.

I dont just pull air from a room and blow it outside because I like to control all my environmental variables. I can control temperature and CO2 independent of outside conditions.

If you do what sedate says, where is the air coming from? It will at least be the temperature of the source. If that source is your 100Degree weather outside, your not going to be happy. The only way to effectively control the temps is to have the carbon filter circulate the AC cooled air. While outside air cools your lights.

I've run 6,000 watts with a similar setup (but with sun tubes), keeping temps at 75deg F and being able to bring them down to 65 at the end. All the air was just cycling through the carbon filter and it NEVER SMELLED IN THE ROOM even with Sour Diesels, Chemdog D, and other stanky strains.

If you want to keep it super-fresh ad a couple negative ion generators.

And to be clear, I never said pull air from another room in the house. That would create a negative pressure in that room and possibly pull air out of your grow space. I usually pull the incoming air from a port in the outside soffits, then blow the air out of the roof vent.

______

As for your mounting problem, is there any way you can screw a board (maybe plywood) across two of your joists and mount the fan to that?

F

fabodnickMD

Thanks Sedate you have been a great help. I'm still trying to figure out how I could mount the fan onto the ceiling exhaust. The left side of the T is next to a stud and the studs are 24in apart in my house, which means I cant hang the fans on the studs. Do you guys have any other ideas on how to mount it?

Um.......how 'bout some 2x4's mounted across the studs.....Stud?

sedate

sedate

Metameric:

Wow Meta I re-read my post and I really sound like cock. A stupid, smarmy cock at that.

Sorry about that.

Metameric said:
The whole point of putting the fan at the beginning of the light-cooling chain is to maintain positive pressure in the lines, so the fresh air from outside is pushing out of the hood.

This is correct.

I stand by my statements and install suggestions - except this bit of nonsensical assholish bs:

sedate said:
Anyway, apparently, the same logic doesn't apply to Metameric's suggestion, since all the same "cracks" and holes in the line magically disappeer when you pull the air from the outside

^^^ Given the fact that I was lecturing other posters about the Bernuolli principle, this is/was a really fucking stupid comment.

Like shoe-down-throat stupid.

Metameric: You're right- if he's worried about smell or risks legal jeapordy he should run the fan your way.

Meta said:
A friend of mine did exactly what you suggested with quality hoods and did a very good job taping everything. However the gaps in the metal was enough to leak stray MassachusettsSuperSkunk outside. It wasn't intense but consistently noticeable. That to me is a security flaw.

My inner mechanic hates losing efficiency, but MJ is one fuck of a potent and recognizable smell - and even though I don't believe he'd have some grow-reveal smell from the airflow from his system "cracks" - better safe than sorry here, I suppose.

That *is* a cosmically stupid reason to get caught.

On a few other points:

Meta said:
You would obviously need one or two inductors for that purpose not another cannon fan.

Inductors? No, this I don't get. Explain?

Meta said:
If you do what sedate says, where is the air coming from? It will at least be the temperature of the source. If that source is your 100Degree weather outside, your not going to be happy.

No, no. I mean the air would be ambient from the house.

I understand why you indicate lots of reasons this isn't ideal - but remember this OP is only using a single 600w lamp - not exactly a heat-factory by grow-standards. He should be fine in his rather sizeable grow area just blowing the air - wherever he choses to place his cannon fan inline.

If the temperature is 100degrees outside - then hopefully he'd have some climate control in his place!

Metameric said:
All the air was just cycling through the carbon filter and it NEVER SMELLED IN THE ROOM even with Sour Diesels, Chemdog D, and other stanky strains

Yea man this I'm pretty skeptical of.

I can't ever smell my growroom since I'm living with the thing - anyway - be wary of your own judgement here, I guess is what I'm saying. The human smell sense is incredibly unreliable and failure prone.

Meta said:
If you want to keep it super-fresh ad a couple negative ion generators.

Consumer Reports always rips neg-ion generators as air filters of any style or manufacturer. I wouldn't spend money on these.

Again - marijuana is an incredibly potent smell - it needs removal, not mitigation.

Meta said:
I usually pull the incoming air from a port in the outside soffits, then blow the air out of the roof vent.

And that's always ideal - but again - it requires more equipment than the OP has and is *alot* of work for a single lamp.

fabodnick said:
Um.......how 'bout some 2x4's mounted across the studs.....Stud?

That's what I would do.

M

metameric

Premium Member
Supporter
sedated response

I appreciate your followup sedate!

Inductors? No, this I don't get. Explain?

You seem to have engineering knowledge, so you were probably thinking of the wound magnetic storage device. I was annoyed by this at first as well. In-duct-ors, as they are called, are a small $30 duct booster fan you can get from local hardware stores. They are cheap and push about 80cfm. They are "rated" at 200cfm, but I believe it is more like 80. I like them because they are cheap, quiet and affective for light cooling applications.

Yea man this I'm pretty skeptical of.

I can't ever smell my growroom since I'm living with the thing - anyway - be wary of your own judgement here, I guess is what I'm saying. The human smell sense is incredibly unreliable and failure prone.

Well, it depends on the application...In my setup, it was pulling it through multiple rooms, all through the same 12". All the air in the room would enter through a hepa filtered inlet, then passed through and out the carbon filtered fan. It would then be blown into an open area and sucked back into the initial opening. Everything was closed off except for the inlet and outlet, thus making sure every cubic foot of air in the rooms passed through the carbon constantly. Obviously a standing filter just blowing air around will not eliminate all smells as effectively.

Consumer Reports always rips neg-ion generators as air filters of any style or manufacturer. I wouldn't spend money on these.

They are not really filters at all. However, negative ions are great for plants, and will cancel stray smelly ions around the room when used in conjunction with a real filter, like an inline carbon. My friend zero always tells me how there are more than 100million negative ions per cubic centimeter in the rainforest, and that the average urban environment has only 30-60pcs cm3. Since I took his advice to add them to my rooms, they have had an added freshness which I enjoy and so do my plants. Google it. Thats all...

Top Bottom