Air cooled hood question

• Thread starter sgt. schultz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Have 4" 485cfm squirell cage fan trying to cool two 1000hps in Sun Systems hoods joined together with foil dryer hose. Pulling air from lung room exhausting to attic in a 4x8 sealed space. Even with 15,000btu portable temps are near or over 90 degrees. 100 with both. Portable is right against wall and venting through to lung room and then to attic. Also have 8" 865cfm exhaust I had carbon scrubber on but took off hoping to imrove flow. Even if I open the door it's still too hot.
I am wondering if the light fan is pulling too much air from outside of the hoods through leaks around the glass. I disconnected hose between lights and held my hand over the open flange of hood with fan and suction wasn't very strong. Could the lighting fan be sucking my air conditioned cool air out and leaving a lot of heat from lights? Should I seal around the glass and if so, what would be the best way and still be reasonably easy to remove glass for cleaning and bulb changes?
sarge

stickyicky

stickyicky

Yes, your hoods are pulling ac out of the room. You can use plastic wrap to seal up around your hoods.

I use a 6"-465 cfm inline exhaust fan for 2- 1000's and it does fine. Particularly at this time of year. I pull from from my garage to cool my lamps. But, I'm not sealed either. I use a 650 CFM Inline to exhaust my room.

Good Luck

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Thanks sticky. The plastic won't melt or burn? Do you roll it up and stuff it in cracks or stick it around corners?
I hear you Aussie. Mine struggles with one light.
Any other ideas?

stickyicky

stickyicky

I use 2-sided stickyicky tape and wrap the edges, corners and any other gaps.

Do you have backflow preventers on your exhaust outakes?

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Why 2-sided tape? Do I need some type of heat resistant tabe or probably won't get hot enough to melt most?

W

wvkindbud38

I have 4 hoods which are air-cooled.....I use clear 3m tape to seal around the glass and I used caulk to seal a few leaks around my adapters. The clear tape has never melted or burned and can be replaced easy.....I went air-cooled 2-3 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I run 1000,600,430, and 400 watt lamps and use a 6in Vortex fan+ have an oscalating fan helping......I could probably use a small 4in inline booster fan but the 6in Vortex does a very good job at keeping my hoods cool. I also use a 6in HO Can Fan/ with a carbon filter to exhaust air in my 7 x 7 growroom

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
Have 4" 485cfm squirell cage fan trying to cool two 1000hps in Sun Systems hoods joined together with foil dryer hose. Pulling air from lung room exhausting to attic in a 4x8 sealed space. Even with 15,000btu portable temps are near or over 90 degrees. 100 with both. Portable is right against wall and venting through to lung room and then to attic. Also have 8" 865cfm exhaust I had carbon scrubber on but took off hoping to imrove flow. Even if I open the door it's still too hot.
I am wondering if the light fan is pulling too much air from outside of the hoods through leaks around the glass. I disconnected hose between lights and held my hand over the open flange of hood with fan and suction wasn't very strong. Could the lighting fan be sucking my air conditioned cool air out and leaving a lot of heat from lights? Should I seal around the glass and if so, what would be the best way and still be reasonably easy to remove glass for cleaning and bulb changes?
sarge
If you could take some pictures of yoou lights and exhaust Im sure we could find some things to help you out,I also like to have my exhaust sucking /pulling It works like a radiator fan ...JACK

R

Raiderfan420

If you could take some pictures of yoou lights and exhaust Im sure we could find some things to help you out,I also like to have my exhaust sucking /pulling It works like a radiator fan ...JACK

I agree with Jack. If you post pics it would be easier to see what you are working with. I have a 6" vortec 450 cfm pulling accross two 1000w sunsytem hoods with glass and they are cool to the touch. I haven't done anything about the leaks as it hasn't been an issue. I am trying to visualize your set-up, pics would help. You might not have enough inflow.

S

spinkus

I use heat resistent foil tape. You can get from HD or lowes. Its really pretty easy to remove for cleaning too.

Also seal up ANY cracks with it too. The holes around the hangers, the socket, EVERYTHING. Every little seal will help especially with temps as high as yours.

I've also read that you need 300 cfm for every 1000 watts you were trying to cool, so maybe try adding another fan halfway through to help out. Just a thought.

Heres a pic of my sealed up hood.

Bottomview
I

idriveunsafely

yeah id just tape around the edges but i wouldnt worry too much about the tiny leaks just because it makes it a pain to clean the glass

Top Bottom