Air cooling lights Q

• Thread starter globe_toker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

globe_toker

I wanna buy 4 blockbuster 6in air cooled reflectors. I want to expand to 6 next crop. Can a 6 inch fan handle 3 hoods in a row. I plan on doing 2 rows of 3 each.

Muffler - fan - hood - hood - hood

I am under the impression that I draw cold air over the lamps, not blow cold air. Is that correct

I have a 18k split for 4k bare right now, once this crop is finished Im putting a 24k in new room and running 6k with hoods.

Tnelz

Tnelz

I wanna buy 4 blockbuster 6in air cooled reflectors. I want to expand to 6 next crop. Can a 6 inch fan handle 3 hoods in a row. I plan on doing 2 rows of 3 each.

Muffler - fan - hood - hood - hood

I am under the impression that I draw cold air over the lamps, not blow cold air. Is that correct

I have a 18k split for 4k bare right now, once this crop is finished Im putting a 24k in new room and running 6k with hoods.
Never went as big as u are. But u are correct that u want to pull air over bulbs and not push it through. I just bought a hyper 6 and it's fuckin amazing. Smallest thing ever but 315 cfms and it only draws 35 watts. My money says it would cool 3 lights but I'd play it safe and go for the 8. Good luck brother. Sounds like u r going to be producing some major shit.

sixstring

sixstring

I cool 4 x 600 with one 6 inch fan no problem.i would think 3 x 1000 would be fine but I wonder if the muffler has any air restrictions to it?

G

globe_toker

I have a 8in. muffler attached to a scrubber. I only use them to lower the noise. It is the type lined with acoustical foam.

I wonder if 6 relfectors @ 8in. will work with a single 8 inch fan. I believe only so much air can flow through the ducting as is so that is a big restriction in itself.

Tnelz

Tnelz

I'd say this can do it.
20140411 162805
Honestly just wanted to show u how small this fan is. It's the future imo. Takes up zero space but still pretty powerful @315 max cfms and uses less power at full speed than a forty Watt light bulb.

Pisces

Pisces

imo, an 8" would be perfect for cooling 3 hoods.

Or, go with 2x inline 6's ….one on each end.

I have an 8" Can Max Fan on a speed controller cooling two hoods and it works perfectly!

G

globe_toker

Yeah I think 2 is a good idea. I was curious about the s-line vortex fans. I have a regular 8" and it's somewhat loud. The s-line vortex is apparently quieter.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

The s lines are nice but they are HUGE

If you thought mounting a carbon filter on the ceiling is a pain, wait til you try n get one of these babies mounted above your head

Pisces

Pisces

And go with the 8" hoods you'll thank me later :)

The Blockbusters have an awesome footprint too btw.. great choice. just be sure not to get the plants to close or they'll bleach for sure…we had that problem when we ran the Busters.

Now we run Raptors and we can get the plants a Lot closer with the same footprint.

G

globe_toker

Pisces, do you think I should grab the raptor instead? I went by the greners research testing. You know that chart comparing a bunch of different reflectors...

Raptors are really nice from what I can see. So do you think I should have 8" reflectors and use reducer ducting adapters on each end, 6" to 8"?

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

I personally run raptors. Getting a 8' fan and 8' reflectors is worth it. Don't get the reducers unless you really need to.

On my current grow I'm using a 12' fan reduced to blow through 8' raptors. I'm def not getting the advertized cfm from my fan, but dam everything is cool

Pisces

Pisces

If it were up to me, i'd go with the Raptors

But again, i tried the Busters for a few runs and they were excellent.
But I didn't have a lot of head room so I was getting a lot of bleaching on my tops.

I then went with 8" XXXL's and they are built like Crap imvho... really flimsy construction and Lots & Lots of air was escaping from the gasket seal on both of them. switched em out and it was the same thing in a different corner of the hood.

I then switched to Raptors and couldn't be any happier.

Last edited:
Pisces

Pisces

And as Cheeser & sixstring said, go with the 8" with the 8" hoods.
You'll be able to keep shit cool all year round.

Those 6" hoods are ok if you only have maybe one or two lights and aren't going any bigger.

I only run two lights in flower right now but will be running more soon so I planned ahead :)

G

globe_toker

Cool yeah 8" will suffice. I can always turn the speed down if anything if it's too much. The raptors seem to cover a huge space. I do about 4.5'x4.5' of canopy per 1k so the spread of light is important. Bare lamps and not doing vertical isn't helping...

Pisces

Pisces

The Busters, XXXL's, and the Raptors will all cover that size of space.

But, Raptors win over XXXL's due to construction.

And again, Raptors win over Busters due to reflection.

Also, be sure to clean the glass with an Ammonia FREE glass cleaner…. (No Streaks)

I personally like using Pinnacle glass cleaner w/ a Microfiber towel as it leaves no streaks and cleans Extremely well.

Let us know how you like those Raptors bro… I know you'll Love em!
Peace, Pisces

symbiote420

symbiote420

A/C hoods are the equivalent to snake oil nutrients in my eyes, unless you're growing inside a tent!
Ask yourself.....

*Is bigger always better?

*How can a hood with 6" or 8" holes cut out of two sides get maximum lighting down to your plants?

*With all the $$$ you're spending on electricity why would you use a hood that'll block 10%+ of one of the most important aspects of indoor gardening with a glass shield?

*If you still have to cool your room after setting up a/c hoods, why use them??????????

*Doesn't ducting have to be properly installed to effectively remove the heat and prevent excessive loss of cfm's?

*Do the pros use a/c hoods? Not the peeps who think they're pros I'm talking actual gardening professionals

I've ran a/c ....once! I noticed such a BIG difference in my meds quality to the point that I'll never run with an a/c hood again, unless growing in a tent. Not saying you can't grow good erb using them but I'll bet it'll be so much better bare bulb.

sixstring

sixstring

I know all those facts are true sym, but i run my tubes (9200 watts) with no a/c for all but 2 or 3 months.so it def saves me a ton of money not using the a/c, probably 300.00 a month.i really dont see where all these bare bulb setups are making more or better colas per sq ft as I do running these tubes.im not saying there aint grows that crush it with bare bulbs but on average I would say its a toss up.thats based on pics from the net.the one room I set up without hoods has been converted to raptors and he is doing much better far as quality goes.he just needed that buffer maybe idk but his a/c bill was ridiculous before the switch lol.

Top Bottom