Air Pump Questions

• Thread starter NotaRasta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fatawa

fatawa

It will stay cold on concrete.you will b good.but i hear ya on monitering yurself..thats a must.good luck bro

J

J Henry

You are correct.. But what I am saying is that there is a better , more cost effective, way to get oxygen to the rootzone.
Do you have a "DO" meter? Can you tell me how efficiently your air pumps are working? Do you know how much oxygen is in our "air" How long does it take to raise your "DO" levels in your water?

Im my opinion... that is a terrible reason to use something.
Good luck!

BRAVO…Hey cannabeans you are definitely the brightest grower on this block for sure when it comes to oxygenation, how and why test dissolved oxygen in res water is so vitally important.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of hobby growers do not know the difference between ambient and elemental oxygen (O2) and that’s a well known fact on most hobby forums.

Most hobby growers think that (know) if they see plenty of air bubbles, that plenty elemental oxygen (O2) is guaranteed provided you have enough bubble rocks or the water falls are high enough.

Most hobby growers have no idea what a DO Meter is and they are totally unconcerned the value of having or testing DO. They don’t even care that DO can be tested with DO Test strips that cost 0$.50 per test.

MYTH - Ambient air is oxygen (O2) and plenty ambient air always insures plenty oxygen (O2). That's a water chiller salesman sales pitch, that's all.
If this were true hospitals would use electric fans and would not have oxygen (2) piped into every room in the facility. They would not need or ever use those little portable O2 bottles or O2 mask either.

Most hobby growers believe and promote sales saying that the DO Saturation is 100% dependent on using water chillers and cold res water. The water chiller salesmen continuously reinforce this their primary sales point and the DO Chart proves their point. We’ve all heard the sales pitch.

So how much elemental oxygen is the minimal safe concentration required for all the pot root balls and aerobic colonies collectively? How much oxygen (O2) does all this really need? Not talking about ambient air, talking about O2 only. The nitrogen and hydrogen is air is totally meaningless for all aerobic plants and microbes living in the res water.

This is how much oxygen – 100% DO Saturation 24/7 regardless of the res water temperature (61F – 87F). 100% DO Saturation must be sustained continuously throughout the months of growing period or watch for dead decaying roots, root rot and fungal infestations… watch every day too.

Most hobby grower’s guess and hope when it comes to maintaining minimal safe DO Saturations in res water because they never test the res water DO. Hobby growers do very excited when they discover root rot one morning and then go automatically into crises mode, brewing teas, poisons, adding H2O2 to increase the res DO and kill all the microbes and trying to accept the reality that they have had a serious low-O2 problem. And it’s way, way to late by then.

fatawa

fatawa

Or just watch yur leaves...lmfao...im an ol skool grower n wile i do hav digital ph/tds meter which is a must in water.a chiller is not needed.lol.its not as tech as some people make it....stick yur fucking hand n the water.would u jump n a pool at that temp??yes?then yur too warm,no?yur probably in the zone..idk what u consider hobbiest but i got lil over 800sq i use every inch.most gidgets/gadgets arent needed to make ALOT of cash..or smoke whatever floats yur boat.just learn how to read leaves in it tells u everything.they will look dehydrated if not getting enough o2..keep it simple..stupid.

FennarioMike

FennarioMike

I have an Under Current 6XL system and they use a 6o Lpm pump. I added a secondary air pump and stones to each module - but if you DO - it's super charging it with O2 and it will require less nutes and can cause nute burn at levels that it didn't previously.

A chiller isn't cheap - but losing a crop to root rot is even more. Air alone won't keep your roots healthy - above about 69 degrees, you're effectively not going to get more O2 to dissolve in solution no matter what the air flow rate is. O2, temp control, and go lighter on nutes than the manufacturers usually recommend.

I'm a huge fan of maintaining an adequate level of disinfection also with hypochlorous acid like UC Roots. Especially if you aren't chilling yet...

Last edited:
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I have a 6 bucket rdwc system and I use Active Aqua 4 port and 2 port pumps with large cylinder air stones, one in each bucket. Seems to work ok so far. They are pretty quiet as well. I can't tell you how durable they are as I've only used them for 3 months at this point.

cannabeans

cannabeans

BRAVO…Hey cannabeans you are definitely the brightest grower on this block for sure when it comes to oxygenation, how and why test dissolved oxygen in res water is so vitally important.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of hobby growers do not know the difference between ambient and elemental oxygen (O2) and that’s a well known fact on most hobby forums.

Most hobby growers think that (know) if they see plenty of air bubbles, that plenty elemental oxygen (O2) is guaranteed provided you have enough bubble rocks or the water falls are high enough.

Most hobby growers have no idea what a DO Meter is and they are totally unconcerned the value of having or testing DO. They don’t even care that DO can be tested with DO Test strips that cost 0$.50 per test.

MYTH - Ambient air is oxygen (O2) and plenty ambient air always insures plenty oxygen (O2). That's a water chiller salesman sales pitch, that's all.
If this were true hospitals would use electric fans and would not have oxygen (2) piped into every room in the facility. They would not need or ever use those little portable O2 bottles or O2 mask either.

Most hobby growers believe and promote sales saying that the DO Saturation is 100% dependent on using water chillers and cold res water. The water chiller salesmen continuously reinforce this their primary sales point and the DO Chart proves their point. We’ve all heard the sales pitch.

So how much elemental oxygen is the minimal safe concentration required for all the pot root balls and aerobic colonies collectively? How much oxygen (O2) does all this really need? Not talking about ambient air, talking about O2 only. The nitrogen and hydrogen is air is totally meaningless for all aerobic plants and microbes living in the res water.

This is how much oxygen – 100% DO Saturation 24/7 regardless of the res water temperature (61F – 87F). 100% DO Saturation must be sustained continuously throughout the months of growing period or watch for dead decaying roots, root rot and fungal infestations… watch every day too.

Most hobby grower’s guess and hope when it comes to maintaining minimal safe DO Saturations in res water because they never test the res water DO. Hobby growers do very excited when they discover root rot one morning and then go automatically into crises mode, brewing teas, poisons, adding H2O2 to increase the res DO and kill all the microbes and trying to accept the reality that they have had a serious low-O2 problem. And it’s way, way to late by then.
Thank you and WELL SAID!

J

J Henry

Or just watch yur leaves...lmfao...im an ol skool grower n wile i do hav digital ph/tds meter which is a must in water.a chiller is not needed.lol.its not as tech as some people make it....stick yur fucking hand n the water.would u jump n a pool at that temp??yes?then yur too warm,no?yur probably in the zone..idk what u consider hobbiest but i got lil over 800sq i use every inch.most gidgets/gadgets arent needed to make ALOT of cash..or smoke whatever floats yur boat.just learn how to read leaves in it tells u everything.they will look dehydrated if not getting enough o2..keep it simple..stupid.

Well fatawa, even the least savvy, beginner DWC hobby growers very seldom has any problems with root rot and fungal infestations so they claim. Everyone hobbyist DWC pot grower knows that it’s really hard to suffocate Rhizomes in res water. Killing the roots really takes an exerted effort, gross neglect or stark ignorance.

Now do you really believe that testing pH/tds is more vitally important than testing DO for minimal safe oxygenation (DO Saturation) in res water? You discount testing DO in res water, you never scientifically test your res DO, but you can and do “read the leaves” to accurately diagnose low DO in res water that makes leaves and roots sick, suffocating roots and microbes. Dying and dead root usually terminate in root rot (decayed roots) that always invite fungal infestations... low O2 is a primary cause of Rhizome suffocation, that acute and chronic suffocation causes a real mess out of the crop so to speak and plenty of stress for growers that are less fortunate.

Diagnosing by a low oxygen crisis in res water by simply “reading the leaves” is **FREE, but so primitive, archaic and certainly guessing like “reading the bones.” Dead pot plant leaves can certainly be one symptom of low oxygen problems and Rhizome suffocation. If the roots suffocate, the leaves will look sickly and die for sure. Accurately diagnosing a low O2 problem in res water requires scientific testing which is not simply guessing by “reading the leaves.”

Back when I was in Jr. High School, before I knew anything about scientifically testing oxygen levels, reading the leaves was diagnostic and that was the extent of diagnosing a serious plant health problem. If the leaves died, then the whole plant was going to die, a no-brainer for all savvy experienced teen age farmers.

I have gotten older now and I test the DO several times a week and prevent any low O2 problems before the leaves and roots suffocate and microbes die. DO test strips cost $0.50 per test and totally eliminate stress, wondering, hoping, guessing and of course “reading the leaves” waiting and watching for any low DO problems.

Did you know that elemental oxygen (O2) is absolutely the most vital nutrient element there is for all aerobic plants, DWC pot roots, animals and microbes and should never be discounted. If you don’t believe that, put your head in a plastic bag, seal the bag around your neck and just see what happens in a couple minutes without a continuous minimal safe supply of oxygen minute by minute. Then compare oxygen deprivation (low oxygen) to pH change in your blood like when you take a couple Tums for your tummy. Do you see the point yet?

Speaking of low-tech observations… Did you know that decades ago, when Bobby felt really bad, when his lips and finger nail beds turned from pink to dark blue, Bobby went to the Doctor and was diagnosed with low oxygen in his blood. Of course the treatment of choice for low oxygen was and is today the administration of supplemental oxygen (> 21% oxygen or air) with an oxygen mask or put Bobby into an oxygen tent containing an enriched environment (>24% oxygen).

Chilled Water temperature, high 60’sF-low 70’s F… You might want to rethink jumping into water this cold, you would be surprised just how cold this really is. You would definitely need a wet suit if you were in water this cold over an hour and change to prevent hypothermia. Swimming pool water below 86F is definitely uncomfortable when you jump in. Hypothermia can be deadly.

Most hobby growers like yourself just “read the leaves” so to speak, hope, prey, and always looking for dying roots and fungal infestations. That’s normal, FREE, but certainly archaic in the 21st century.

You might want to take a moment and rethink or even a couple minutes researching the vital importance of a continuous minute to minute supply of elemental oxygen (O2) for aerobes and maybe even how to test DO in res water vs. “reading the leaves.” If for no more than fodder for trivial conversation with your buds.

You may discover that water chillers may not be really necessary like the water chiller salesman claims… if you can provide and insure plenty oxygen (O2) and efficiently dissolve the gas into you res water 24/7 for several months of the growing season.

Plenty dissolved oxygen means insuring 100% DO Saturation 24/7 every day of the several months growing cycle whether the water temperature is 65F or 86F.

That’s is what prevents Rhizome and microbial suffocation caused by low oxygen in res water.

Preventing a low O2 problem is better than waiting, worry and watching pot roots for the low oxygen crisis, suffocation and the sundry pantheon of emergency treatments…

Yes, No, you have no idea or you really don’t care?

fatawa

fatawa

20170422 133923
20170422 134114
This turned into somekind of battle or wits or something?lmao.dude just askd if his roots lookd good bro.no d.o.'s Jhenry but yes i fully understand them..42 branches 1 plant(3wk veg/clone)...i think i kno wtf im talking bout....like i already said we can compare pics??if u aint got none its cause it never happned.....

J

J Henry

View attachment 693899 View attachment 693901 This turned into somekind of battle or wits or something?lmao.dude just askd if his roots lookd good bro.no d.o.'s Jhenry but yes i fully understand them..42 branches 1 plant(3wk veg/clone)...i think i kno wtf im talking bout....like i already said we can compare pics??if u aint got none its cause it never happned.....
This is no challenge of wits at all, this is pure horticulture science and technology for profits and fun vs. "reading the leaves" so to speak, that's all this is. Great looking sticks, what do you sell 1/2 oz. of those buds for?

fatawa

fatawa

I drop everything at once 225 zip.i kno the science stuff too.just isnt that complicated to me honestly.ive been around alot of differnt plants and mj is very forgiving and easy to grow n my opinion.ive only had a couple touchy pheno's n 10+ yrs.u can use all the new science for target numbers but at the end of the day each strain is differnt so thats y reading plants is much more important.(my opinion)if there not perky they aint happy...lmfao.in o2 levels,ppms,lights,humidity,temp,water temp,co2...all that shits pretty basic (least to me n im only 35)im just not a noob in throwing numbers/theories isnt my style.i can get from a-z np's everytime..

fatawa

fatawa

Plenty dissolved oxygen means insuring 100% DO Saturation 24/7 every day of the several months growing cycle whether the water temperature is 65F or 86F.

That’s is what prevents Rhizome and microbial suffocation caused by low oxygen in res water.

Preventing a low O2 problem is better than waiting, worry and watching pot roots for the low oxygen crisis, suffocation and the sundry pantheon of emergency treatments
yur basicaly saying samething as i am if u read what i wrote..i use 300gal pumps(4outlets)..thats 75gph to each tote.it takes 7gal to fill a 10gal tote full over netcup like ol boy mike...im throwing 4-5gal instead of 7 to totaly full.dont u think 75gph will oxygenate 4gal better then 7??lol.if yur plants arent getting enough o2 it will b painfully obvious..they will look dehydrated.i kno i wouldnt need a meter for this.lowering water levels helps me n multiple ways,ends up more o2 cuz same size pump less volume of water,my roots harden which is obvious will aid with rot,and i use less nutes cause my nutes r EXPENSIVE...

Last edited:
J

J Henry

yur basicaly saying samething as i am if u read what i wrote..QUOTE]
Yep, your right. Hobby growing is certainly not rocket science or anything close to it. More technical pro growing may be more aligned to horticulture science 401-B, that’s all… more applicable to the large scale commercial medical market pro-growers that grow strictly for high profits and highest quality yield vs. the average hobby grower. About farming for profit and making money vs. growing for fun and getting loaded.

Like I said, your sticks look good, “…what do you sell 1/2 oz. of those buds for?”

fatawa

fatawa

@ j henry,u a commercial grower?cause i am.i havnt showed meat n potatoes or what i do.i hav 2 96 site areponics setups..the couple pics ive shown is just for personal.i agree semi what yur saying bout science part but to a grower who has grown for yrs i still dnt find it that hard idk...if you are a true commercial grower pm me n we will talk real shit not these baby discussions.peace brother.pics i showed r for my best friend who has m.s..shooting for cbd's for him to make it to wrk.we all got kids u kno

Top Bottom