Air Pump running hot. Any ideas?

• Thread starter healthdude38
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

healthdude38

I bought a 924gph comercial air pump and after turning it on for a day the temperature of my water in the reservoir went up by 8C degrees (20°C to 28°C).

The pump has 12 outlets but im only using 4, the others are closed. Could this be causing the pump to be running so hot? And if so, I only have 4x 15Gallon Dwc Buckets, what should I do with the remaining outlets? If add them to the buckets I think it's going to be too much air

R

ritoMox

I bought a 924gph comercial air pump and after turning it on for a day the temperature of my water in the reservoir went up by 8C degrees (20°C to 28°C).

The pump has 12 outlets but im only using 4, the others are closed. Could this be causing the pump to be running so hot? And if so, I only have 4x 15Gallon Dwc Buckets, what should I do with the remaining outlets? If add them to the buckets I think it's going to be too much air
First check the power draw of your pump with all outlets working, then do the same test using only 4 outlets. Compare power draw to pump specs. More power draw will mean more heat. Can you run the pump slower? Or just use dummy buckets?👍

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I know the ones you are talking about. They are the piston pump with all the fins on them. Its the friction that causes heat and is part of the design.

I started with those too because they are cheap and powerful. Threw them all out because of heat and noise. They get worse the more you use them too.

Diaphragm pumps are what you want.

Reactions: PK1
steamroller

steamroller

Try bleeding off the extra air instead of plugging it up.
Run a fan on your pump. All serious air pumps recommend this in their directions.
Finally look into and learn about Alita linear drive pumps.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

i ran my air through a cold water pot before it went into my clone bubbler I coiled about 20ft of line into the pot that cooled the air to the water temp before going into the bubbler. I put the pump in the mini cooler to keep it quiet and that heated it up more so I had to cool the air.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Try bleeding off the extra air instead of plugging it up.
Run a fan on your pump. All serious air pumps recommend this in their directions.
Finally look into and learn about Alita linear drive pumps.
Nice, did not know about Alita.

I think airstones and pumps will be a thing of the past for hydro once @Aqua Man gets his new O2 system perfected. Why spend hundreds on pumps that do part of the job when you can directly inject O2?

Mytwhyt

Mytwhyt

Filter on GH pump.. Two-sided tape. No extra load on the pump.. The intake is a simple hole on the top .
11821 93293a5b7f75849a8622d721dfb518c3

Justlovetogrow

Justlovetogrow

Nice, did not know about Alita.

I think airstones and pumps will be a thing of the past for hydro once @Aqua Man gets his new O2 system perfected. Why spend hundreds on pumps that do part of the job when you can directly inject O2?
Directly injecting co2 hmmm another tad bit of information 😂

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Directly injecting co2 hmmm another tad bit of information 😂
O2. CO2 injection at the root zone would be very bad. PH would drop uncontrollably and it would displace O2 pretty much killing the plant.

You want high O2 low CO2 in the root zone and the opposite in the atmosphere.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

Woops itchy enter finger. I had a finned, commercial looking pump, and it blew hot air. No bueno. I picked up an AQUANEAT Aquarium Air Pump 300GPH, for 25/27 bucks. 2x4 inch stones, and it's cool air. The piston driven pumps do pump a lot of air but it's hot. Diaphragm pumps are where it's at. I have an old whisper air pump that after 20 years still runs well and is quiet. Hot air blows.

H

healthdude38

I just went to the store and changed the comercial pump for smaller pumps.. now im running a pump per dwc bucket... so far so good and the water is not gerting hot feom the pump anymore.. comercial pumps suck

Top Bottom