Air Pump Smells Like Pesticide

• Thread starter dumbthumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dumbthumb

I just ordered a new air pump from amazon. its the Elemental 951 gph model.
the retail box shows signs of having been opened and one of the styrofoam
shock packing removed. i guess perhaps amazon might have done it to squeeze the thing into a flat rate envelope.
Everything else looked perfectly new but i plugged the thing in and was instantly nauseated by the smell of pesticide.
I got a splitting headache from it.
Is it possible the rubber diaphram or plastics production method uses a similar foul smelling chemical?

DGP

DGP

I have been a part of the industry for many years and I have come across many plastics that have some odd smells usually associated with plasticizers and various additives that are aromatic but have not experienced what you are describing. I would send it back especially since it had such a bad effect on you. I suppose it is possible that a material they use has an unusual smell but it doesn't sound quite right. I have 3 of these pumps that I got from amazon as well and never noticed a problem like this.

GrowzNCali

GrowzNCali

Was it an Amazon-fulfilled order or a third-party? Amazon does have sellers much like eBay, and not all are equal let me tell you. That being said machined parts can have oils and other chemicals that give off odors. If it is as bad as you make it sound and with evidence of packaging being tampered with, perhaps you got something used?

Top Bottom