Air tight cook?

• Thread starter Terpeneluv
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Ok, as my coco grow is finishing up, I've decided to make my own mix for an organic grow. I just don't have the time to do the bottled nutes and coco. It worked great, but I want to try a different route.

I was going to take Jimsters advice and go with Promix, but I had all the components I need to make my own. Bu's Blend, Canna Coco, Premium worm castings and perlite is the plan. Dan, from Green Sunshine company sold me Earth Dust to amend and I'm using his light that I love.

He recommended I mix it all up, add the amendments and let it cook for 2 weeks and the very least, and use the mix without amending to start my seeds. Sounds like a plan to me.

I mixed and amended a could days ago and I have it in a tote. The question is, do I need to make that air tight? Seems like you'd want to have at least some air in there so it can do it's thing, but I'm not sure. Same goes for the seedling mix.

Y'all helped me out huge in the coco realm, so I figure I'd get the same solid advice one here.

Thanks

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

you want some hole on bottom of the tote,get it off the ground ,leave the lid on the tote,you need to stir it at least once a week ,if the lid has condensation on it when you lift it,it is working,only get condensation from heat,heat is cooking and decomposing your mix,what you want,no clue of what your mix or amends are,but 2 weeks aint gonna get it in my opinion,more room for problems ,now that said,when you mixed it all did you give a small shot of water to get it going,it wont cook if there is no moisture,just like a compost pile,same exact thing your doing,moisture and stirring is what you want to acheieve her,now moisture,in a 18 gal tote i would add about 1 gal water to get it going,then let
condensation do the rest,if you live with no humidity,you might have to give it a little spray of water now and then,the holes in bottom and condensation on top will exchange your mix,off the ground keeps the crawler out,if you cant avoid that when you get it ready and done a simple drench to kill any bugs will do,ive used azamax for this purpose and havent had any issues just saying,only one time have i had to do this,i cook mine for several months and wait for the first frezze and lay it out on a tarp and kill bugs and larvae myself,like i say i cook mine for several months

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

just like this,this is peat moss and manure,amend with phosphrus,potash ,gypsum 6 month cook made real soil from it

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Thanks.

Yeah, I used a bug sprayer filled with RO water and misted-turned, misted, turned several times and used about a half gallon in a full 13 gallon tote. It's moist, but not to the point of where I squeeze a handful and water drips out.

I figured about a month would do it, but now I'm not sure.

I'll post the ingredients of the amendments.

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Ok, it's a two part system. Add part 1 with soil mix and cook.

Base:

ALFALFA MEAL, WHEAT MIDDLINGS, SOYBEAN MEAL, POTASSIUM SULFATE, STEAMED BONE MEAL, DRIED MOLASSES, DISTILLERS GRAINS, AZOMITE™ , HUMIC ACID, KELP MEAL, WORM CASTINGS, INSECT FRASS

Then a week before flower, top dress with 1 to 3 tablespoons/gallon. About halfway, top dress again with the second part

Boost:

ALFALFA MEAL, WHEAT MIDDLINGS, BAT GUANO, ORGANIC POTASSIUM SULFATE, STEAMED BONE MEAL, DRIED MOLASSES, DISTILLERS GRAINS, AZOMITE™ , HUMIC ACID, FISH MEAL, KELP MEAL, LIMESTONE

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

I could have bought all this stuff separately and did it myself, but I figured I'm only doing 2 and it's my first time using this method. So, I went the easier, cheaper route as a start.

As I dig in and fall deep in the rabbit hole, I'm sure I'll tailor my own as I learn.

I trust Dan from Green Sunshine, so I'm giving it a shot. The even answers emails and questions within a couple hours. Respect.

Top Bottom