Airpots, really like em. Seem to build excellent roots.

• Thread starter Pileit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scolymia7

Scolymia7

They are great until you get fungus Gnats.
After fighting gnats for over a year I'm considering going back to Rdwc after using coco or getting solid pots to grow in so I can restrict access points. The air pots are like multi story hotels with rooms gallore for gnats.

I've done everything from predatory nematodes, h202, drying pots out, neem oil, and I might as well have invested into a yellow sticky trap company as many as Ive purchased. Fyi if you need them amazon has the best prices. 72 pack for under 10 bucks.

If you already have preventatives great, if not I would start because with them air pots its a challenge/fight im loosing in ridding my grow of gnats.

To the point where either I change mediums/ type of pot or take a 2 month break till I know they are gone. I clean/bleach regularly, strong air flow but just can't beat them lol. All it takes is one to lay eggs and game over imo.

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
I have 2 of the 3gal that I use. I also have made my own 4 gal version from square buckets, hole saw and old mesh blinds. Ran my Auto grows in them for 2 cycles, AMAZING root structuring. Also had a mother in one for almost a year before up potting her. Didn't have any Gnat issues myself, but understand what Scolmia7 is saying, you would have to very diligent on stopping/controlling that issue.

blasius

blasius

We started using these new Air pots a while back. Really like em. They were ridiculous in price. Lately some copies are for sale. Fairly good quality for price.
I don't use air pots but I'm curious if the roots are growing through the holes, and if yes do you trim them off?

Scolymia7

Scolymia7

I don't use air pots but I'm curious if the roots are growing through the holes, and if yes do you trim them off?

I've never had to, on the bottom there is a plastic mesh and I've had roots grow past that but you won't know until harvest unless you move /look under plants. They just dry out once they hit that low moisture point. If I remeber correctly the term was called air pruning.

Thanks for that amazon link. I really want to rid myself of these gnats as I prefer to grow in coco. I tried the dunks eith no success but I just ordered a jar that. Uf it works will be the best 20 bucks ever haha. I love rdwc but hate cleaning all that hydroton at the end. With coco , I just burn the roots/coco, the air pot gers a quick rinse/bleach soak and good to go.

Pileit

Pileit

Scol, the Microbe lift took a couple weeks to work. If I drop a few drops in to our reservoir every cpl weeks we never see gnats. As far as the pots, air prunes them. Then they seem to build the small root hairs. Excellent thus far.

Last edited:
quirk

quirk

I utilize air pots for their superior aeration and root development. I often remove during flower to better understand plant/soil water use. I've never seen gnats though. Organic soil auto grower.

DSCN3038 3
DSCN3053 2
DSCN3059 3
IMG 20200312 093340536 HDR
CF89

CF89

How are these better than the fabric pots? Seems like fabrics would be better in almost every way as far as air to the roots go?

Scolymia7

Scolymia7

I think my biggest issue is living in a heavily wooded area. Plus not knowing what fungus gnats were until having them. By then it was too late. Really hope that product works over next couple months. If not, going to enjoy a cheaper electric bill for couple months and admit defeat 😅.

@CF89
I have no experience with fabric pots. My reasoning for choosing air pots over fabric was air pots being plastic they would last longer. Not because one was better or worse.

quirk

quirk

How are these better than the fabric pots? Seems like fabrics would be better in almost every way as far as air to the roots go?

Same strain. same age. With the fabric I had to add training grommets and they're a pain to clean. I find the air pots more versatile as I can overlap and make a 3gal out of a 5 or combine and make larger, plus they come with training holes and I get superior root development.
Grower preference is all it comes down to. Organic soil auto grower.

IMG 20200513 175854983 2
IMG 20200523 170726371
Scolymia7

Scolymia7

@Pileit
You are a life saver!! I was probally going to go back to rdwc after this go around due to gnats, but going to give it another round. That microbe lift is destroying the gnats. In 8 days I am having to look hard to find a gnat. Going to stay on regular every couple days, give couple drops in rez for peace of mind. This is how easy it was for me to find them ,the picture shows 3 of 14 traps all double sided and all looking like that. I put them in 12 days ago. And have always had atleast 12 for the last 1.5 years. Microb life is the best 22 bucks ever!!! And will always just dose as long as I'm in coco. Ive been in my room 20 min now and have only found 2 gnats!!! Mind=blown 🤯🤯

20201010 220630
Pileit

Pileit

Until I found the Microbe lift they were a nightmare. Thank GOD for some smart people out there. There are so many products out there that are marginal, this is a great solution and cheap too.

Top Bottom