Airstone in topoff rez? Yes or no?

• Thread starter QuarterbackMo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

I have been using one for a long time now and it doesnt seem to have any ill effect on the nutrients as far as mineral fallout and whatnot... I have been thinking though that maybe what if it does? As a grower I find myself constantly striving for perfection and if my minerals are falling out before they hit the uc then I would be hurting myself right? But then again what about anerobic bacteria? I have seen a lot of people who say don't use them and a lot of people who say do use them... Whats your opinion/facts?

P

potberryfin

From my experience adding an airstone and more aeration never had any ill effects in any reservoir

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I use 2 6" stones in my 45gal res and when I clean every thing I don't see any residue on the bottom, besides if it made the elements precipitate it would happen in every modual and the epic center

St3ve

St3ve

I have always used two 6" stones in my 100 gal. I've tried it with and without the stones and I don't really noticed any difference in the plants. I only notice that I don't get a film on the water in the rez. The Rez is the same to clean either way so I don't notice anything other than some salt built up. (same either way)

M

Max Powers

what dizzle said. just make sure you get the a pump that's big enough to move the water well, but not so big as to heat up the water significantly with the motor

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I found that a 250 MagDrive will heat 45 gal res to about 86 in 3 days...that's why the air stones. A smaller pump might not heat it too much.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

It is not always feasable, but we have always kept both storage and top off tanks controlled by both temp and air stones. 68F is the constant temp and I forget the specs on the air pumps we use (filtered UV air on all air pump intakes).

I

Innov8tr

It is not always feasable, but we have always kept both storage and top off tanks controlled by both temp and air stones. 68F is the constant temp and I forget the specs on the air pumps we use (filtered UV air on all air pump intakes).

+1, I keep mine chilled and areated. Areation brings up the ph in the water in most cases. I use well water which has no dissolved oxygen and the ph is really low. After just a few hours the ph jumps up a couple points.

Latest posts

Top Bottom