Algae in reservoir water ? How to prevent

• Thread starter Zakattack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zakattack

Zakattack

I have a 60liter reservoir of nutes that I mix once a week and replace the existing reservoir with. On about day 4 of it being there I notice a lot of algae present in the reservoir. I have and air pump with air stones to keep the water airated and it is deprived of light. I also noticed the ph rose from 5.8 to 6.28 over the 4 days since mixing. Fixed that problem tho.
Any one have a recommendation on how to prevent the algae from forming ?

BigCube

BigCube

It cant be deprived of light. Algae doesnt live without light.

Clear hoses, thin plastic and light leaks are the most common culprits.

It is 100% light leaking in from somewhere. 👍

pdasterly

pdasterly

I have a 60liter reservoir of nutes that I mix once a week and replace the existing reservoir with. On about day 4 of it being there I notice a lot of algae present in the reservoir. I have and air pump with air stones to keep the water airated and it is deprived of light. I also noticed the ph rose from 5.8 to 6.28 over the 4 days since mixing. Fixed that problem tho.
Any one have a recommendation on how to prevent the algae from forming ?
light leak as suggested
tetra algaecontrol - orange/yellow bottle

Zakattack

Zakattack

light leak as suggested
tetra algaecontrol - orange/yellow bottle
Is the algaeside detrimental to the plants at all ? The only possible light entry is in the form of the clear 5mm air tuning going in otherwise there’s nothing. But there’s a ton of algae

pdasterly

pdasterly

Is the algaeside detrimental to the plants at all ? The only possible light entry is in the form of the clear 5mm air tuning going in otherwise there’s nothing. But there’s a ton of algae
what color r ur buckets?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Algae will grow in light and is green. Cynobateria is also green and will look like pea soup. Diatoms are brown and will grow even with no light and feed on silicates for the most part.

First are you running a live system like hydrogaurd or sterile system?... or neither?

Zakattack

Zakattack

what color r ur buckets?
Got a black bucket. With a black lid. The only hole where light can possibly get through is where my 5mm air hose enters otherwise the amount of light is relatively none cow it’s onset a table
In a dark space.

Zakattack

Zakattack

N
Algae will grow in light and is green. Cynobateria is also green and will look like pea soup. Diatoms are brown and will grow even with no light and feed on silicates for the most part.

First are you running a live system like hydrogaurd or sterile system?... or neither?
No idea what a hydro guard or sterile system is. Just mix nutes once a week and have an air pump with two stones to keep it airated and moving. Algae is brown tho. If that accounts for anything. Last week when it was bad I used molasses in the mix. This week I’ve left that out so gona see if there’s any change

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

N

No idea what a hydro guard or sterile system is. Just mix nutes once a week and have an air pump with two stones to keep it airated and moving. Algae is brown tho. If that accounts for anything. Last week when it was bad I used molasses in the mix. This week I’ve left that out so gona see if there’s any change
Do not put molasses in dwc or any organics for that matter. Sounds like diatoms they are harmless but messy.

I would do some reading on beneficial bacteria or sterile systems and choose one. Running without anything is usually a disaster waiting to happen.

Zakattack

Zakattack

Do not put molasses in dwc or any organics for that matter. Sounds like diatoms they are harmless but messy.

I would do some reading on beneficial bacteria or sterile systems and choose one. Running without anything is usually a disaster waiting to happen.
Got any quick links on sterile systems? I do supplement acti Vera https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/biobizz-acti-vera/ . Supposed to be really good in keeping the plant healthy

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Quick pluck off the net. I will look into the doses for sterile but I think it was about 1-2ml a gal of 30% hydrogen peroxide every 3 days. Wait until I confirm this as I have never and would never run sterile. Thats just a personal opinion and because I have a lot of experience running live tanks and hydro thats works for me. I find them easy to look after. Others swear by sterile and there is nothing wrong with that and its less complex and possibly easier for the newer grower

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This breaks it down well. I have seen it diluted 10 to 1 and dosed at 1-2ml a gal but again I have never used it. Likeni was saying the stuff you buy at 3% in the pharmacy is not the right stuff to use.

Top Bottom