Almost harvest time.- Advice please

• Thread starter Hsilvas81
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hsilvas81

Hsilvas81

So I'm hoping for easy guidance here. I know they look like crap but this is my first grow. I'm a total novice. Please no judgements or criticism just friendly advice. Ill get better for sure as I learned a lot of the temperament from these plants.These are autoflowers - Hawaiian purple kush, Jack Herer and Fortune Cookies. They pretty much died in week one of flowering. Spent the following three weeks resurrecting them. Then from week 4 they began to thrive. Now this is week nine and they are full of newly clouded trichomes, sticky and smell delicious. The pistils are about 50% orange on each plant. Week eight I started putting them in natural sunlight a couple of hours a day and the trichomes and frosting seem to have enhanced and new sprouts/pistils have popped up; bud size has increased by 20-30%. Leaves beginning to wilt and yellow. I'm struggling to find creative ways to keep humidity below 60% and temperatures are around 70 degrees in the dark cycle. Up until the sun experiment it was easy. Temperature during light cycle is about 77-80 degrees and about 44% humidity. From what I've read I'm looking for the pistils to be about 80-90% orange and a slight number of trichomes to begin turning amber. Then I should pull them. According to the instructions these plants are 8-10 week flower period so I'm thinking by next Wednesday, 10/20 I should be right there. Nothing but distilled water past week. I just started flushing them this Monday, 10/13. They are still wet today so I'm thinking another flush by Friday. And another by Tuesday. Then harvest I'm hoping somewhere between Wednesday and Saturday.

Almost harvest time  advice please
Almost harvest time  advice please 2
Almost harvest time  advice please 3
Almost harvest time  advice please 4
Almost harvest time  advice please 5
BluePowerRanger

BluePowerRanger

they lookin good to me. So what’s your question? Lol seems to me you already have a decent game plan as far as when to pull them. I pull mine when most trichomes are cloudy and amber is just starting to develop here and there.

sandune

sandune

Looking good! You'll get weed to smoke that you grew. Your next grow will produce more and you'll smile more. Hang in there, we all had that 1st grow...

Hsilvas81

Hsilvas81

Thanks everyone really appreciated. My last post caught a ton of hecklers and people telling me to just throw the plants out and start over. But I couldn't. It was my ignorance putting these ladies through hell trying every silly "tip" I read. But the best one was a blog saying pull the plants out of soil, rinse the roots, replant in new soil minus nutrients, and just ph balanced water. So these ladies came back strong. I guess instead of a question I'm just looking for guidance and reassurance what I should be doing as I wait and if what I'm looking for is correct. Are my humidity levels and temperatures okay? For plants these size how.long do I dry them? I'm reading some that say 5 days and some that say 30 days so I'm just really nervous and hopefully will have some good smoke.

Ponky

Ponky

If you dry them too fast they taste bad. 7 days is a minimum. 14 days is average. If you wet trim expect to lose 83% of total weight in moisture.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Judging from the appearance, you have way too many white stigmas to harvest this week. I would give it another two weeks. They will pack on weight, as well as potency.

You want ALL those white stigmas to be red. The amber trichs you are seeing are probably on leaves, not the calyxes themselves. Amber on leaves doesn't count.

If you need weed, cut a branch, don't harvest the whole thing. You're sooo close.

Hsilvas81

Hsilvas81

Judging from the appearance, you have way too many white stigmas to harvest this week. I would give it another two weeks. They will pack on weight, as well as potency.

You want ALL those white stigmas to be red. The amber trichs you are seeing are probably on leaves, not the calyxes themselves. Amber on leaves doesn't count.

If you need weed, cut a branch, don't harvest the whole thing. You're sooo close.
Awesome. No amber trichs yet. That is the trigger I've been looking for. Yes there are fresh white sprouts ever since I put in the sun daily. Not looking to rush at all. Again, just following the tips online. I myself was thinking the plant is just too green and I'm still seeing fresh growth on top and a widening of the cola. And of course the fresh white pistils which seem to pop up after the dark cycle. Have not fed a single nutrient in 6 weeks. Anything else I should be doing besides distilled water? The humidity is what is scaring me. Ever since it has frosted and became sticky I'm struggling with humidity as soon as I turn out the lights. In the tent with fans the humidity is staying at 65-70%. So last night I moved to my closet and the humidity was at about 58%. Any tricks to help? This is a grow of endearment as my wife has cut off anymore spending for anything. So I'm at the mercy of DIY at this point.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Surprisingly, those chemical dehumidifiers, like Damp Rid, work. You have to be careful though, because they collect the water they pull out of the air in a bucket or bag, mixed with calcium chloride. If you spill it, it's messy.

You can have a few in the "lung room" or in the tent itself.

Hsilvas81

Hsilvas81

Surprisingly, those chemical dehumidifiers, like Damp Rid, work. You have to be careful though, because they collect the water they pull out of the air in a bucket or bag, mixed with calcium chloride. If you spill it, it's messy.

You can have a few in the "lung room" or in the tent itself.
Wow. Never heard of those. May I ask what a lung room is? I just ordered a wireless dehumidifier on Amazon. It's for a small place like a closet so I'm hoping this will work. It was $15 which I had to convince the old lady it was absolutely necessary.

BluePowerRanger

BluePowerRanger

Wow. Never heard of those. May I ask what a lung room is? I just ordered a wireless dehumidifier on Amazon. It's for a small place like a closet so I'm hoping this will work. It was $15 which I had to convince the old lady it was absolutely necessary.
A lung room is a room and or area where you condition / treat your air before it enters your veg and or bloom room/ areas. Typically your Co2/Ac/dehumidifier are in your lung room.. you then use intake fans and ducting to pull and push air into the (lung room) from and to your bloom and veg rooms creating what’s called a closed looped system. Meaning there’s no interference from outside the system as long as your lung room and area and grow room / bloom rooms are sealed 🙂

Hsilvas81

Hsilvas81

A lung room is a room and or area where you condition / treat your air before it enters your veg and or bloom room/ areas. Typically your Co2/Ac/dehumidifier are in your lung room.. you then use intake fans and ducting to pull and push air into the (lung room) from and to your bloom and veg rooms creating what’s called a closed looped system. Meaning there’s no interference from outside the system as long as your lung room and area and grow room / bloom rooms are sealed 🙂
Oh wow now that sounds professional. Yeah I'm just growing in a 3 x 3 and 4 x 4 grow tents. Using autoflowers since I'm in a apartment.

BluePowerRanger

BluePowerRanger

Oh wow now that sounds professional. Yeah I'm just growing in a 3 x 3 and 4 x 4 grow tents. Using autoflowers since I'm in a apartment.
Well if you call complete control over your grow environment professional then I suppose so lol.. people use lung rooms instead of cramming everything into their grow tents due to space limitations for one. Like in a 5x10 tent if you running 4x4 tables or 4x8 not much room for anything else on floor level. You would have to even get a specialized dehumidifier to fit in there one that could go under your system. Typical dehumidifier design wouldn’t work due to lack of space.. same goes for portable ac units etc… put all that crap in a separate area and pull into your tents is the only way to get around space limitations of tents. Well if your growing in soil or co co maybe you can move things around to get all that stuff to fit. I cultivate through hydro so I had to do it that way.

Hsilvas81

Hsilvas81

Yeah. I've read about several different grow methods but had to opt for the covert style being in apartments and in Texas. Then found out about autoflowers so I thought I'd give it a try. This is my first grow and I managed to screw them up right at flower. Then luckily pulled it together to salvage them. Just ordered a small dehumidifier which is wireless. I can barely keep RH at 60 so hopefully this machine can help me get under 60%.

BluePowerRanger

BluePowerRanger

Yeah. I've read about several different grow methods but had to opt for the covert style being in apartments and in Texas. Then found out about autoflowers so I thought I'd give it a try. This is my first grow and I managed to screw them up right at flower. Then luckily pulled it together to salvage them. Just ordered a small dehumidifier which is wireless. I can barely keep RH at 60 so hopefully this machine can help me get under 60%.
Hopefully you got a self draining dehui having to dump water can be a nuisance and god forbid you forgot to dump it and your unit is just sitting there doing nothing.

Hsilvas81

Hsilvas81

It uses Silica gel but the drawback is it only absorbs 5 ounces. So I bought three. To use one after the other at night.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

I one hundred percent agree! People also don’t tend to realize that there are layers of colored ”hairs” or “stigma’s”.

strider26554

strider26554

So I'm hoping for easy guidance here. I know they look like crap but this is my first grow. I'm a total novice. Please no judgements or criticism just friendly advice. Ill get better for sure as I learned a lot of the temperament from these plants.These are autoflowers - Hawaiian purple kush, Jack Herer and Fortune Cookies. They pretty much died in week one of flowering. Spent the following three weeks resurrecting them. Then from week 4 they began to thrive. Now this is week nine and they are full of newly clouded trichomes, sticky and smell delicious. The pistils are about 50% orange on each plant. Week eight I started putting them in natural sunlight a couple of hours a day and the trichomes and frosting seem to have enhanced and new sprouts/pistils have popped up; bud size has increased by 20-30%. Leaves beginning to wilt and yellow. I'm struggling to find creative ways to keep humidity below 60% and temperatures are around 70 degrees in the dark cycle. Up until the sun experiment it was easy. Temperature during light cycle is about 77-80 degrees and about 44% humidity. From what I've read I'm looking for the pistils to be about 80-90% orange and a slight number of trichomes to begin turning amber. Then I should pull them. According to the instructions these plants are 8-10 week flower period so I'm thinking by next Wednesday, 10/20 I should be right there. Nothing but distilled water past week. I just started flushing them this Monday, 10/13. They are still wet today so I'm thinking another flush by Friday. And another by Tuesday. Then harvest I'm hoping somewhere between Wednesday and Saturday.
You are at the hardest point for first time growers, patience my man is the name of the game, wait until you begin to see some amber or at least all cloudy trichs,.A lot of people have trouble with the aroma of their bud when harvested too early, and it boils down to having a sense for when the plant is at peak potency but enough cloudy and amber to retain the full terp smell throughout the cure. You can cure immature bud and it will get you high, but to perfect the process , you have to wait until the trichs have signaled that they are done, and I have found that it is not one indicator , but many....hairs will turn brown, leaves will yellow, and trichs will cloud up, maybe not all at the same time but you will begin to have a sense for when that happens.

Top Bottom