Alternating between HPS and MH

• Thread starter TheNman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheNman

Greetings all!

I've recently upgraded to digital ballasts, so i now have the ability to instantly switch between HPS and MH.(without destroying the life of the MH bulb that is)

Now, since i only have 2 600s in my 4x4, i can't split the lights up like i might be able to if i had 3(2 outer HPS, inner MH), so my question is.....

Do you think a cycle with 2 days HPS 1 day MH would benefit my yields and oil production?

Every other day seems like too much MH and every 4th day seems like too few.... though still probably better than 100% HPS.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: This thread is not, i repeat NOT about debating whether one way or another yields, nor is it about any other situation other than i've described above.
It's simply about a possible regiment of rotating HPS and MH.
Thanks

T

tenacious

Supporter
i quit using mh altogether after i found almost no-one was using them in holland.

T

TheNman

i quit using mh altogether after i found almost no-one was using them in holland.

huh....
well, people do weird things sometimes. :)

MH keeps the stretch down during flowering and the more balanced spectrum provided by adding MH to HPS makes for better bud growth and oil production.

The closer you can get to reproducing the sun, the better your results.

Do you know why growers in holland have stopped using MH?

L

l33t

TheNman

I guess cause HPS-only gives more yield over MH only or HPS+MH..

I like Mixed spectrum myself but if I could use only one type I 'd go with HPS.

Now regarding your Q in the first post , personally I d just use mixed spectrum all the way and just move the plants around every now n then . Also you can rotate them so all budsites are exposed to direct light.

T

TheNman

TheNman

I guess cause HPS-only gives more yield over MH only or HPS+MH.

Well, that's kinda debatable, l33t.
Actually, my buddy was just telling me last night that him and the local hydro guys were talking about budding under just MH.
I'm rather skeptical about that method, but the point is everyone has their own idea of the best method.

Now that i have digital ballasts, i'm gonna experiment on my own.

I like Mixed spectrum myself but if I could use only one type I 'd go with HPS.

Definitely HPS if you're only going to use one or the other!
The 600nm range is king!

Now regarding your Q in the first post , personally I d just use mixed spectrum all the way and just move the plants around every now n then . Also you can rotate them so all budsites are exposed to direct light.

Well, i do SOG in hydro, so there's no moving of the actual plants.

I can either use 1 HPS and 1 MH and just switch them from one ballast to the other each day, or i can switch both from HPS to MH on alternating days.

Which brings me back to my original question, which schedule do you think would work the best?

leadplant

leadplant

l33ts got it right - mixed is best, on at the same time, all the time. thats how I'm doin it anyway. I got 2 mh and 2 hps. Some ladies are getting mostly mh and others are getting mostly hps just cuz of the positioning limitations. The MH ladies are looking as good as the hps ones. The ladies positioned ideally between mh and hps do look better.

The mh buds may look a bit smaller but thats cuz its tighter growth. The hps ladies are a bit stretchier and the buds look a bit bigger but also airier too - but really hardly any difference.

The hps definetely bleaches the closer buds. MH seems to make lusher, darker green growth with more essences. It also makes for great root growth.
The stretchier hps buds have an advantage of better light penetration. That airiness is a good thing in some ways. MH ladies can sometimes be too tight for their own good.

If I had only 1 light, I'd go hps but mixed is well worthwile.

T

TheNman

l33ts got it right - mixed is best, on at the same time, all the time. thats how I'm doin it anyway. I got 2 mh and 2 hps. Some ladies are getting mostly mh and others are getting mostly hps just cuz of the positioning limitations. The MH ladies are looking as good as the hps ones. The ladies positioned ideally between mh and hps do look better.

The mh buds may look a bit smaller but thats cuz its tighter growth. The hps ladies are a bit stretchier and the buds look a bit bigger but also airier too - but really hardly any difference.

The hps definetely bleaches the closer buds. MH seems to make lusher, darker green growth with more essences. It also makes for great root growth.
The stretchier hps buds have an advantage of better light penetration. That airiness is a good thing in some ways. MH ladies can sometimes be too tight for their own good.

If I had only 1 light, I'd go hps but mixed is well worthwile.

Thanks for the insight leadplant.

But, with my situation of 2 lights, should i use just HPS or alternate?
And if i alternate, should it be an every other day regiment, every third day or every forth?

T

twisted metal

So you are a follower a not leader, be different try new things.

Well you could start the 1st stage of flower under MH and the last stage under HPS. You will get bigger denser buds this way. I dont like buds that are to dense, and i dont like buds that are to fluffy, so get a good balance doing it this way.

There was a write up years ago about the growzilla reflector which you can put 2 bulbs in one hood. The guy put one MH and one HPS the outcome was pretty impressive.

Moe Danks

Moe Danks

I've been using a 250w MH for my last 2 grows and i'm very impressed with it. you can check my thread in the grow diaries to see how they do with a some sat. dom hybrids.

here's a some nugs from 1 plant under a 250w MH.

Picture 002
GET MO

GET MO

Supporter
If you want to bring stretch down you should look into a product such as bushmasters, that way you will still yield fat and wont have to go thru all that trouble changing lights.

C

Cloud 99

hey NMAN why dont you try MH for the first 6 hours and HPS for the last 6.this mimics the suns throughout the day.then as you get closer to harvest you could lessen the MH to 2 hours and increase HPS to 10.i had good results like that but i only have 1 light now.anyway be creative and try diff configurations and have fun.

G

goldrusher

Interesting topic been doing a little research about this. If i would you i wouldnt waste my time switching every other day or w.e i would switch once a week. just my opinion good luck.

Top Bottom