Alternative To Vacuum Purging?

• Thread starter DannyBlue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DannyBlue

So I've been wanting to blast my own shatter ever since I first tried a dab, and I must say that the entire process is quite a fascinating one. The only real problem I have with making my own shatter is the purging process, as I do not wish to invest in a "serious" vacuum system. I mainly want to just do this for a little side project, blasting an ounce or two of shake when wax supplies are low, as I can definitely make it an affordable option. That being said, I'm also someone who wants to purge all the crap out of my oil before I dab it lol.

I've been trying to think of different ways I could extract, and the first one that came to mind was ethanol. The only real problem I would have with that is that myself, and a friend, would prefer I do it go with grape seed ethanol... which means it won't be a cheap project. Then I started thinking... is there a solvent that could be used, and doesn't require a vacuum chamber to purge at least half of the crap out of it? I'm not a chemist, and I have talked to a friend who ran an extraction for a dispensary about this. He doesn't think there's a way to do what I have in my head, but he does want to see me try, and he wants to help me try some ideas out.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to start, and any tips for purging without a vac? I'd prefer to use butane for my solvent, as I can get Whip-it cans cheap enough for a disposable side project (should I make wax that isn't clean enough for my taste). I will be having help when I do this, as this will be almost like a crash course intro to concentrates (yeah, I do this kind of thing a lot lol). On the other hand, I'm not new to handling volatile chemicals, or working with/around dangerous tools/equipment/etc.. I did use to reload competition pistol ammunition with my dad as a kid, I've field stripped, cleaned, and shot guns as a kid, and have worked with pool chems, gases, lots of soldering experience, I understand maths and basic concepts of chemistry... this will be a nice little learning project.

TL;DR- Looking for recommended solvents/extraction methods for dabable oil, and ideally a vac-less purging method. Open to a griddle, but that's when I'd want to bust out the mason jars and a mighty vac... even though it'll probably only remove a fraction of the impurities. I've had diy shatter that was purged that way, and it probably had more butane in it than anything else. That was the most ridiculous gram of shatter ever.

Okay, time to stop rambling. I've seen some good ideas on the forums, but I don't know which would really be suitable for my kind of idea. I will be doing a round or two of bubble hash with one friend, as he really enjoys making it. I will also be looking into a diy rosin press, so that might be something to play with? Otherwise, not too sure where to start. I don't have many people I can bounce ideas around with, so I'd love to hear any/all ideas.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Just buy a vac, Im really not sure why your so against that idea, Its nothing MAJOR, Its beyond fucking simple..

Its a pot, a lid, and a vaccume.. That sucks... Air..

Nothing serious other then the time your going to spend on maintenance cause the pump's oil needs changing alot.

100-150$ can get you the complete " serious " setup off ebay. A griddle to heat the pot 15$ at wally world.

Past that and i'd never really suggest people use this method but you can purge using hot water if you keep the temps correct. It won't be 100% or anywhere near that.. but it will be clean enough if you can't get a vac... . . . . .. . . .. . . .. Get a vac!

Last paragraph you talk about buying a rosin press.. Yet you won't buy a vac and chamber..................

Top Bottom