Am I burning this baby?

• Thread starter LauraShay2020
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LauraShay2020

LauraShay2020

So yes this is all new for me these last few months I tried so hard to get a seed to sprout, killed roughly 150 in cost ...but..I finally succeeded with 2 new babies. Am overjoyed yet it looks like I may be doing something wrong when I viewed them this afternoon.
One is curling on one of the 4 baby leaves..the other younger one looks like I'm burning the ends of the leaves somehow.
I keep them on patio w sun til noon then in grow tent til late night then rest 6 hours. I've got humidifier, using veg stage blue led, spray outer light water using filtered water..no drying out but not soaking..
Any thoughts? Would be much appreciated. I just ordered a new bigger tent and fan/filtration system will be here tmrw..
Used all the best stuff for planting 1st bany..Coco bricks, perlite, root booster, diatomaceous earth..good soil..
I really want to keep this 1st one healthy! His one leaf looks slightly limp...what's that about???
Thank You!!
Am i  burning this baby
Am i  burning this baby 2

Ruki3

Ruki3

I’m pretty new to this myself and I noticed this happening to a couple of my seedlings and those are just the Cotyledons which is those little leaves. They’re going to continue to turn yellow and eventually fall off which is normal. They basically supply food to the roots until the leaves have enough chlorophyll to generate photosynthesis, then the soil is its supply of nutrition.

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

So yes this is all new for me these last few months I tried so hard to get a seed to sprout, killed roughly 150 in cost ...but..I finally succeeded with 2 new babies. Am overjoyed yet it looks like I may be doing something wrong when I viewed them this afternoon.
One is curling on one of the 4 baby leaves..the other younger one looks like I'm burning the ends of the leaves somehow.
I keep them on patio w sun til noon then in grow tent til late night then rest 6 hours. I've got humidifier, using veg stage blue led, spray outer light water using filtered water..no drying out but not soaking..
Any thoughts? Would be much appreciated. I just ordered a new bigger tent and fan/filtration system will be here tmrw..
Used all the best stuff for planting 1st bany..Coco bricks, perlite, root booster, diatomaceous earth..good soil..
I really want to keep this 1st one healthy! His one leaf looks slightly limp...what's that about???
Thank You!!

Start seeds in moist paper towel under gentle light (I use a 12 watt led) until there is about a 1/2 inch to inch long root (takes 3-5 days usually). I start in Promix growing medium since it's not over fertilized and leave space at the top of the pot to add soil later. Make sure the towel stays a little wet. When it's time to plant use a pen or pencil to push a hole in the earth just deep enough to drop the root in. The seed should stay visible but the root buried when planted. Water a small amount twice a day when small like this. If the seed gets buried after watering I push gently with the pencil to make sure I can still see it. When young the earth shouldn't be soaked but the root should stay moist. 20-24 hour light at this point. Add earth to support as the plant starts getting tall to help support. If the seed jacket is sitting on top of the leaves I try gently to push it off with the pencil. Within a couple days it typically comes off with no pressure.

Just about every seed planted becomes a plant using this method.

If you use too hot earth (too many nutrients) you get burnt leaves. That's why Promix (which I get at Walmart) works well. Don't add nutrients at all for the first couple weeks at least. Depending on where you live the sun may be the problem since young plants are sensitive. Limp leaves can be the plant trying to take a rest or water issues. Plant's need the right amount of things more than "the best". Don't kill them with kindness.

LauraShay2020

LauraShay2020

Start seeds in moist paper towel under gentle light (I use a 12 watt led) until there is about a 1/2 inch to inch long root (takes 3-5 days usually). I start in Promix growing medium since it's not over fertilized and leave space at the top of the pot to add soil later. Make sure the towel stays a little wet. When it's time to plant use a pen or pencil to push a hole in the earth just deep enough to drop the root in. The seed should stay visible but the root buried when planted. Water a small amount twice a day when small like this. If the seed gets buried after watering I push gently with the pencil to make sure I can still see it. When young the earth shouldn't be soaked but the root should stay moist. 20-24 hour light at this point. Add earth to support as the plant starts getting tall to help support. If the seed jacket is sitting on top of the leaves I try gently to push it off with the pencil. Within a couple days it typically comes off with no pressure.

Just about every seed planted becomes a plant using this method.

If you use too hot earth (too many nutrients) you get burnt leaves. That's why Promix (which I get at Walmart) works well. Don't add nutrients at all for the first couple weeks at least. Depending on where you live the sun may be the problem since young plants are sensitive. Limp leaves can be the plant trying to take a rest or water issues. Plant's need the right amount of things more than "the best". Don't kill them with kindness.
Thank you so much for responding! Do you think a grow light at this early stage is good for them, it is only the first week of growth. I have been putting them in the morning sun the last few days only instead of using the light all day because they turned a lil brown on the edges..I thought the light was probably cooking them a lil too much so they are on a break for a few days until I know what to do! I've got a taller grow tent arriving in a few days, I think the light in my current one was too strong and too close! Here are pics from today 06/16/21...PS I did cut the one leaf off as you can see from the picture..might have not been the best move..I'm just doing what I do for my plants or flowers when they got brown tip leaf!! lol...

20210616 140035
20210616 140026
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Don't over water. That soil looks rather moist.

People tend to stare at seedlings, thinking, "What can I do to help this little gal grow?" The answer they often come up with is adding water or nutrients. Don't. Those gals need oxygen in their soil.

I have had bad luck with peat pellets and cannabis, btw.

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

Oh
Thank You!! View attachment 1135681View attachment 1135682
Too big of pot and to wet use small pot and water less get a moisture meter on Amazon my opinion only hope this helps

Madbud

Madbud

The peat pot is probably saving it, they never stay wet for me. I have nearly 100% germination in a half solo cup of soil with a baggie on top to hold in moisture til they sprout, usually the third day on a sunny window sill. Plant a half inch deep, if the seedling stretches just add more soil for support.

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Thank you so much for responding! Do you think a grow light at this early stage is good for them, it is only the first week of growth. I have been putting them in the morning sun the last few days only instead of using the light all day because they turned a lil brown on the edges..I thought the light was probably cooking them a lil too much so they are on a break for a few days until I know what to do! I've got a taller grow tent arriving in a few days, I think the light in my current one was too strong and too close! Here are pics from today 06/16/21...PS I did cut the one leaf off as you can see from the picture..might have not been the best move..I'm just doing what I do for my plants or flowers when they got brown tip leaf!! lol...

You're welcome.

I don't use strong light for the first while and by the looks of the rest of your garden you are in a hot climate. They do need some light though so the morning sun is a good choice. I've got leaves that aren't perfect on my plants and the leaves stay on, especially if the plant only has 2 leaves. You have a couple good suggestions so far with promix for starting (I'd stick with the peat pots for this grow unless they really get looking distressed) and not overwatering when they are small.

Below is a shot of what some young ones looked like after a watering. There is water around the plant but a lot of the earth actually never gets watered at this stage. There is a single little root for the plant to use and it just can't use much water yet. I'll water twice a day, but only a little at a time. The earth isn't packed very tightly so I end up evening the earth out where it sinks.

DSC00616

Top Bottom