Am I feeding correctly?

• Thread starter Migrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Migrower

Migrower

So here a my babies. Currently in peat n perlite only. Put into these starting containers from rooted clones. I am feeding gh brand nutes near the whole line. I just upped my nutes from around 400-450 ppm to 650. I noticed my bottom leaves not holding their green for to long and eventually dying faster than normal. Now idk if this is do to the high amount of toppings I’ve done to all these plants or if my nutrients weren’t strong enough to keep my babies healthy. So it’s been two feedings now. My runoff is very clear and at about 430 ppm And the ph dropping a cpl points also about 2 it seemed. Now my plants are about 5 weeks old( and so small due to the excessive topping and training Or so I thought. ) The question I pose is : Does this nutrient strength seem correct for the size and age of my plants? And is eating about 200-225 ppm per feeding correct?Ill post some pics. This was gonna be my first shot at growing with no soil. Just peat n perlite. But the plants don’t seem as green and healthy as they did (in my very hot fox farm+amended lol) soil I ran my first grow in. I wanted to see if hydro was so much faster and vigorous as they say. I must be doing something off because they just don’t seem great!! I mean they are growing good. But not as expected. Any feedback is greatly appreciated
Am i feeding correctly
Am i feeding correctly 2
Am i feeding correctly 3
Am i feeding correctly 4
Am i feeding correctly 5
Am i feeding correctly 6
Am i feeding correctly 7
Am i feeding correctly 8
Am i feeding correctly 9
Am i feeding correctly 10
Am i feeding correctly 11

az2000

az2000

I used HP Pro-Mix HP + 25% perlite, and fed GH FLora series 3-part. I fed considerably stronger than you mention.

What exact GH product(s) are you feeding, and which schedule are you following?

I followed the so-called "Useless" schedule. You can google for it. It's on the growkind forum. It uses only the 3 bottles, and allows for a "bloom booster" in the end. I used 5ml/gal Botanicare Liquid Karma in every feeding. I started with 150ppm water. And, often had 900-1100ppm final mix.

The "Useless" schedule is a strength somewhere between the GH "1-2-3" schedule (on the bottle's label), and feeding that at 1/2 strength. I.e, "usless" is stronger than 1/2 strength. But, not as strong as full strength. It worked well for me. I got some burn, and N toxicity. The schedule seemed like it was right on the edge (which is what it's intended to be).

One problem with these multi-bottle "lineups" is that you don't know the NPK ratio you're feeding. If you tell me the schedule you're following (and which week. Or, just what you're feeding now), I can tell you the resulting NPK ratio (I have a spreadsheet that does it). Often these schedules cut N too much, too fast in flower. But, it doesn't look like you're in flower.

I think they look good. But, I know you're comparing to your own previous soil growing.

PS: When I switched from soilless to soil, me & friends noticed a definite taste difference. The smoke was smoother/richer. (People say it's impossible or soil/nutrient to make a difference. But, we all noticed it.). If you smoke, it will be interesting to hear whether you notice the soilless being brighter/harsher.

Migrower

Migrower

I used HP Pro-Mix HP + 25% perlite, and fed GH FLora series 3-part. I fed considerably stronger than you mention.

I followed the so-called "Useless" schedule. You can google for it. It's on the growkind forum. It uses only the 3 bottles, and allows for a "bloom booster" in the end. I used 5ml/gal Botanicare Liquid Karma in every feeding. I started with 150ppm water. And, often had 900-1100ppm final mix.

The "Useless" schedule is a strength somewhere between the GH "1-2-3" schedule (on the bottle's label), and feeding that at 1/2 strength. I.e, "usless" is stronger than 1/2 strength. But, not as strong as full strength. It worked well for me. I got some burn, and N toxicity. The schedule seemed like it was right on the edge (which is what it's intended to be).

One problem with these multi-bottle "lineups" is that you don't know the NPK ratio you're feeding. If you tell me the schedule you're following (and which week. Or, just what you're feeding now), I can tell you the resulting NPK ratio (I have a spreadsheet that does it). Often these schedules cut N too much, too fast in flower. But, it doesn't look like you're in flower.

I think they look good. But, I know you're comparing to your own previous soil growing.

PS: When I switched from soilless to soil, me & friends noticed a definite taste difference. The smoke was smoother/richer. (People say it's impossible or soil/nutrient to make a difference. But, we all noticed it.). If you smoke, it will be interesting to hear whether you notice the soilless being brighter/harsher.
Ok so I’m using the gh flora nova two part. Grow and bloom. Currently my girls in veg are about four to five weeks old from being planted as clones. So my feed looks like this. 1 ml/ g silica,1 ml/g flora nectar humic acid, 1 ml/g Cali magic, .5 ml/g floralicious , .15ml/g floralicious plus, .5 ml/g flora nova grow, and every third feeding a dose of super thrive. I’ve been using a feed feed water scheme with r/o water. I only feed half of the recommended feeding on the bottle. And I’m have a gh feeding chart for soil to drain as a base to go by but I’m not following it to a T. I try to read my plants. I don’t like how the bottom leaves just don’t wanna live long. I’m very curious if this is from the mainlining. Your always removing the growth up to the new growth area. Maybe it’s just part of training the plant this way.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'd feed them more. I grow in the same type peat/perlite mix and usually feed a plant that size 700-750ppm on a feed feed water cycle.

You're going to get sick of all those bottles. I used FN on it's own for years with great results.. and never bother with all the other stuff, besides silica. And occasionally cal carbonate or Epsom salt. But I've since switched to pure blend pro.

Migrower

Migrower

I'd feed them more. I grow in the same type peat/perlite mix and usually feed a plant that size 700-750ppm on a feed feed water cycle.

You're going to get sick of all those bottles. I switched from 3 part to floranova and actually got better results for less work. And have since switched to pure blend pro.
I’m using the flora nova now. And I already am lol

Migrower

Migrower

You're going to get sick of all those bottles. I used FN on it's own for years with great results.. and never bother with all the other stuff, besides silica. And occasionally cal carbonate or Epsom salt. But I've since switched to pure blend pro.
I upped it to 630 today I’ll go up some more then and see how they respond. Thanks for the knowledge.

az2000

az2000

I only feed half of the recommended feeding on the bottle. ... I don’t like how the bottom leaves just don’t wanna live long. I’m very curious if this is from the mainlining. Your always removing the growth up to the new growth area. Maybe it’s just part of training the plant this way.

1. I agree with dirtbag, I think you could stand to feed more. (You can always feed different strengths to different plants, and see what works best. It's a bit of work.).

2. I imagine the NPK ratio is good because the plants don't look bad. However, if this is something you want to explore, this is my spreadsheet (<<link to my Google Drive). You can read the README. It explains how to do it. There is a spreadsheet containing a couple dozen products (which can be copied into the Mixer spreadsheet). Some of your products aren't in it. You'd have to add those yourself. It's easy, just copy the info from the bottles' labels. You need the weight of liquid products. Most manufacturers print that on the label (like 1qt, 2.39lb). General Hydoponics seemed to be the exception. I had to call them to get that info. It's not critical. The weight of pure water is 1g/ml. So, if you omit the liquid product's weight/volume, it won't be *that* far off.

I think it's fun to unravel the NPK and strength of those proprietary multi-bottle "lineups." It's nice to know what you're feeding. Like you said, you read your plants. But, it's nice to relate that to something universal (not 5ml of the pink stuff, and 8ml of the brown stuff). If you think of it as NPK ratios, you can recreate those ratios using non-proprietary things. (The README gives an example of doing this.).

3. I was going to say something in my earlier post about the nude bottoms. But, that seemed like more than you were asking for. Since you were comparing soilless to prior soil grows... I figured it was a technique you like.

I've mainlined once. The plants didn't get that tall, stretchy. Your leafless bottoms look different. Maybe it has something to do with strain. (I ended up thinking mainlining wasn't worth the time it added to veg. For a short grow space it would make sense to flatten the growth. But, I was in a 7' tent. It seemed like I got the same results from letting the plants grow taller (in terms of time vs yield).

What kind of light are you using? I was thinking maybe the plants need more light, or the light should be closer. (But, you've previously grown in soil. I assume this topic isn't an issue.).

(PS: If you play with that spreadsheet and add products, PM the info to me so I can add them to the downloadable copy.).

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

Running Useless week 3 @ 15% less then the full strength from start to finish kills it btw. Sits at about 800-900 ppm (with Si and 80ppm tap). Fuck a bunch of mixing nutes for different weeks. I'm on salts but my feed is very similar to that ppm wise of the breakdown and that is what I ran when using GH for about 2 years.

Yeah I would prob up the feed a little. If you are on Nova it should fix it up. Just make sure you keep the ph dialed.

Migrower

Migrower

I’m using a hipargero light that is the 800 series and uses 400 real watts it says but I doubt it. It did veg my previous plants fine on soil but the bloom feature was also on. It is not right now due to me trying to save on electricity with 500 watts lighting up my flower room with all the other appliances running. And yes my plants are definitely growing slower and not nearly as tall!! I didn’t realize it would take so long and the new tops themselves don’t seem to like to grow out any side growth or horizontal extra limbs, or maybe mine aren’t that far along but it’s appearing that way now. I guess we’ll see. I’m thinking your right about a higher ceiling room and training with mainlining well more than once. A split might not be too bad.

az2000

az2000

I’m using a hipargero light that is the 800 series and uses 400 real watts it says but I doubt it.

I googled it. The specs say 240w actual. (Maybe you have an older model?). What is the size of your grow space?

For that type of light ($150 USD on Amazon), I suspect you should be running 40w/sq ft in veg (maybe 50 in flower). The specs say it uses OSRAM diodes. But, I doubt it at $150. They probably use one OSRAM just so they can make that claim. (An example of why I don't use LED grow lights anymore.). Anyway, if I'm right: the light should cover 6 sq ft. (a 2x3' space). In flower, maybe 4.8 sq ft (2x2.4' space).

I haven't looked at LED in 4-5 years. Maybe things have gotten better. But, back then... that's about what you'd expect from a $150 "Osram" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) 240w actual.

If you were happy with your soil growing, maybe this is a non-issue and you only have a low-feeding problem.

Note: You probably don't need the Floralicious. FloraNova has fulvic acid already. (It's probably not hurting anything).

The Flora Nectar... I think that's more for soil. Feeding the microbes. I don't think I'd be putting sugars in soilless. (I add a pinch of ordinary sugar to every gallon of my nutrient solution. But, I'm using soil. Sometimes I use molassess in late flower. But... I don't think it does anything. I've just about forgotten about it.).

Migrower

Migrower

The light I do believe was the best plug n play for 140 bucks. It had ok par specs and yeah osram diodes. I don’t use it for flower. I have 480 watts off Samsung lm301b diodes running on boards. They seem to be doing well but I have nothing to compare it too. I did a lot of research before purchasing them . The hipargero shouldn’t be the issue. It vegged my other ones just fine. They’re starting to look a lil better after this am feed that I upped. I may be on the right track. Tomorrow’s another day.

BigCube

BigCube

600 - 800 maybe upward of 1000 if the plant can handle it. When my white widow was that size it was talking 980 and loving it.

Migrower

Migrower

Next morning and things look better. They definitely liked the feeding. And my veg is a 2x4 tent. I’m thinking of making a real light mix with a bit of compost, castings, humus, peat, perlite, and a few amendments to put these girls into for flower. That way there is a process in which they can derive nutrients from if the feed is off a bit. So the medium offers a protection buffer of sorts. Not a hot or even semi hot mix. Just a bit of everything besides the peat n perlite. And hopefully it gives that earthy taste people talk about soil grows having. That seems to be a conscientious. Does anybody have any input on this matter? Btw I love our little thread we all have access too!!

az2000

az2000

I’m thinking of making a real light mix with a bit of compost, castings, humus, peat, perlite, and a few amendments to put these girls into for flower.

That's where I ended up. I started with soilless (and GH Flora 3-part, "Useless" schedule <<link). I think that's a great way for new growers to start (with Pro-Mix HP & 25% more perlite. But, under HID I might not add the perlite, it could dry too fast. Especially HPS lights. Promix HP has 35% perlite itself). It's hard to mess up. It's simple in the sense that it doesn't depend upon soil health, conflict with nutrients in the soil, etc.

It's basically hydro, with ease of growing one plant in soil (no hydro setup). The only downside is you have to pH the nutrient solution. In soil, you don't have to (if it's not overfed). Growing soilless can get a person started with practices that are bad for soil. I went through a period of overfeeding in soil because I was used to force-feeding in soilless. And the whole microbe health thing is important in soil, but not soilless. Switching to soil from soilless requires some different views. You suffered the opposite going from soil to soilless. You're feeding bennies to an organically inactive medium, feeding the lower soil-like strength.).

I got tired of the soilless/hydro bottles. I wanted to grow in soil with a simple soil fertilizer. I wanted more of a houseplant than a *project*.

For my soil: I mix 50-60% Pro-Mix HP[1] with 20-25% Kellogg's Patio Plus (potting mix) and 20-25% perlite. I add dolomite lime (Fertilome Hi-Yield Agricultural Lime) 1.5 Tbsp per gallon of mixed soil.[2] I fill the containers and soak them (and let dry) once or twice before growing to let the dolomite activate a little into the medium.[3]

The Patio Plus adds some organically-active material. But, the available nutrients are low enough (as part of the whole mix) that it only feeds a seedling for a week or two. (I start feeding 1/8-strength nutrients after a week, and move up to full strenght during the 2nd week.). The Patio Plus just makes the soilless materials "dirty" ("soiled") enough to promote organic activity. Compost might be better.

This is a photo of Patio Plus by itself:

Kellogg patio plus2

Patio Plus is 0.30-0.10-0.10 (which would be too hot by itself, and I don't think it's a good consistency by itself. It's a little woody which makes the soil consistency chunkier than I'd like. (But, it works well the way it's mixed.)

This next photo shows the final mix. The NPK should be about 0.7-0.02-0.02. (But, I'm extrapolating that based upon how I "dilute" it by volume with peat and perlite. NPK labels are based upon weight.).

3 1 1 mix2

I like this consistency because it dries in 2-3 days (after a plant has grown into the container). I think cannabis likes those fast drench/dry cycles.

If I mix it more toward 60%-20%-20%, it dries faster. 50%-25%-25%, slower. I'm not precise about it. I use level scoops of Pro-Mix with heaping scoops of Kellogg's and perlite to get something in between.

Kellogg's isn't sexy. It's just Home Depot stuff. But, I have great results with it. (That's one reason I never have enough motivation to experiment with making my own Pro-Mix HP, or using compost or the Kellogg Palm & Cactus potting mix -- which looks like a very nice consistency of sand and other things. Not woody. I feel like using that would improve it. But.. this works very well for me.).

I feed Grow More - Sea Grow All Purpose (16-16-16) as my base. For all my dislike of multi-bottle "lineups," I ended up creating my own "schedule" using various generic fertilizer products. I mix various generic products to get my own NPK ratios. Like you said, I "read the plant" and have a few "blends" I can throw together.

I've attached a PDF showing how I feed in this soil. (The strengths are worked out to avoid salt buildup. But, I tend to mix enough volume for higher runoff than most soil growers would do. The runoff helps avoid salt buildup, letting me feed stronger. Coming from soilless (the way I did), I had that force-feeding mentality. Soil growers tend to think of keeping everything in the soil, not washing away microbes and things. I think (at least with this light soil), cannabis likes the plate cleaned between feedings. I think of it as giving the plant a fresher plate of food each feeding. Not trying to maintain unused nutrients in the soil in case the plant needs them (the typical "complete soil" approach).

So, it's a hybrid between soilless/synthetic (medium/nutrients) and soil/organic. I'm not fastidious about avoiding synthetic nutrients. But, I try to use organic sources of food if something's available. (E.g., I use inorganic potassium sulfate to raise K because I can't find anything organic to raise K. Ashes would wok. But, I want to be more in tune with the NPK ratio. I don't think I can do that with ashes. If I were creating a more complete/living/composted soil, where everything's available to the plant when it needs it, I'd use ashes. I want the benefits of both worlds. Some organic activity in the soil. But, more immediate delivery/control of nutrients. I reach for organic sources of nutrients when it fits my goal. Gypsum for Ca def instead of "calmag" containing inorganic calcium nitrate, etc. But, I'm not religiously against inorganic sources. I just try to default to organic sources if they're relatively fast acting. It's a balancing act. I'll use epsom salt for Mg def. That's inorganic. But, I might use Langeinite if I want to adjust both K & Mg. It's organic, I think. Comes from mined material.).

That way there is a process in which they can derive nutrients from if the feed is off a bit. So the medium offers a protection buffer of sorts. Not a hot or even semi hot mix. Just a bit of everything besides the peat n perlite.

If you do it the way you described, I would be careful to err on the light side. With all those amendments, you could end up like Fox Farms Ocean Forest where people never know when to start feeding, how much, etc. I wouldn't know how much to add.

[1] I intend to experiment using an ordinary peat moss, like bales sold at the garden center. Mix 65% peat, 35% perlite. Add some amount of dolomite (in addition to what I add to my mix. I.e., Pro-Mix HP has some dolomite already. I'm not sure how much. The plain peat at the garden center doesn't.). And some myco. (Pro-Mix HP has myco.). I've been told this might not end up being as good as Pro-Mix HP. But... I'd like to find out.
[2] I also use calcitic lime to improve the Ca:Mg ratio of dolomitic lime. Maybe 7/8 Tbsp dolomitic to 5/8 Tbsp calcitic. A 3:1 ratio of those two limes produces a 2:1 ratio of elemental Ca:Mg. (A 1:1 ratio of those limes produces a 3:4 ratio of Ca:Mg.). Anywhere in that range is good. But, dolomite by itself is fine. It's 1.62:1 by itself. That's not optimal.
[3] This was more of a concern when I planted seeds directly in the soil. I still germinate in the soil, but I create a small (1 rounded Tbsp) "seed bed" in the top of the soil. I soak Jiffy pellets in water, cut them open and keep the fine peat material without the netting holding it together. I put some perlite in a plastic bag and step on it a few times to break the perlite chunks down to a sand/powder consistency. I add that to the fine peat. Maybe 1:1 or 2:1 peat to perlite.

I feel like the Jiffy pellets are too dense and dry too slowly. Also, the net interferes with the roots. But, I also feel my soil is too chunky for sprouting. So, I scoop out a Tbsp or two of my soil, and replace that depression with fine peat & perlite material.

This is a photo of it in wet soil & seed bed (the seed is in the center, hasn't been covered yet). You can't see the finer, more-powdery perlite mixed into that fine peat. It's about 1" diameter and 3/4" deep:

Planting in jiffy

View attachment Grow More - Sea Grow - schedule.pdf
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That's where I ended up. I started with soilless (and GH Flora 3-part, "Useless" schedule <<link). I think that's a great way for new growers to start (with Pro-Mix HP & 25% more perlite. But, under HID I might not add the perlite, it could dry too fast. Especially HPS lights. Promix HP has 35% perlite itself). It's hard to mess up. It's simple in the sense that it doesn't depend upon soil health, conflict with nutrients in the soil, etc.

It's basically hydro, with ease of growing one plant in soil (no hydro setup). The only downside is you have to pH the nutrient solution. In soil, you don't have to (if it's not overfed). Growing soilless can get a person started with practices that are bad for soil. I went through a period of overfeeding in soil because I was used to force-feeding in soilless. And the whole microbe health thing is important in soil, but not soilless. Switching to soil from soilless requires some different views. You suffered the opposite going from soil to soilless. You're feeding bennies to an organically inactive medium, feeding the lower soil-like strength.).

I got tired of the soilless/hydro bottles. I wanted to grow in soil with a simple soil fertilizer. I wanted more of a houseplant than a *project*.

For my soil: I mix 50-60% Pro-Mix HP[1] with 20-25% Kellogg's Patio Plus (potting mix) and 20-25% perlite. I add dolomite lime (Fertilome Hi-Yield Agricultural Lime) 1.5 Tbsp per gallon of mixed soil.[2] I fill the containers and soak them (and let dry) once or twice before growing to let the dolomite activate a little into the medium.[3]

The Patio Plus adds some organically-active material. But, the available nutrients are low enough (as part of the whole mix) that it only feeds a seedling for a week or two. (I start feeding 1/8-strength nutrients after a week, and move up to full strenght during the 2nd week.). The Patio Plus just makes the soilless materials "dirty" ("soiled") enough to promote organic activity. Compost might be better.

This is a photo of Patio Plus by itself:

View attachment 881138

Patio Plus is 0.30-0.10-0.10 (which would be too hot by itself, and I don't think it's a good consistency by itself. It's a little woody which makes the soil consistency chunkier than I'd like. (But, it works well the way it's mixed.)

This next photo shows the final mix. The NPK should be about 0.7-0.02-0.02. (But, I'm extrapolating that based upon how I "dilute" it by volume with peat and perlite. NPK labels are based upon weight.).

View attachment 881137

I like this consistency because it dries in 2-3 days (after a plant has grown into the container). I think cannabis likes those fast drench/dry cycles.

If I mix it more toward 60%-20%-20%, it dries faster. 50%-25%-25%, slower. I'm not precise about it. I use level scoops of Pro-Mix with heaping scoops of Kellogg's and perlite to get something in between.

Kellogg's isn't sexy. It's just Home Depot stuff. But, I have great results with it. (That's one reason I never have enough motivation to experiment with making my own Pro-Mix HP, or using compost or the Kellogg Palm & Cactus potting mix -- which looks like a very nice consistency of sand and other things. Not woody. I feel like using that would improve it. But.. this works very well for me.).

I feed Grow More - Sea Grow All Purpose (16-16-16) as my base. For all my dislike of multi-bottle "lineups," I ended up creating my own "schedule" using various generic fertilizer products. I mix various generic products to get my own NPK ratios. Like you said, I "read the plant" and have a few "blends" I can throw together.

I've attached a PDF showing how I feed in this soil. (The strengths are worked out to avoid salt buildup. But, I tend to mix enough volume for higher runoff than most soil growers would do. The runoff helps avoid salt buildup, letting me feed stronger. Coming from soilless (the way I did), I had that force-feeding mentality. Soil growers tend to think of keeping everything in the soil, not washing away microbes and things. I think (at least with this light soil), cannabis likes the plate cleaned between feedings. I think of it as giving the plant a fresher plate of food each feeding. Not trying to maintain unused nutrients in the soil in case the plant needs them (the typical "complete soil" approach).

So, it's a hybrid between soilless/synthetic (medium/nutrients) and soil/organic. I'm not fastidious about avoiding synthetic nutrients. But, I try to use organic sources of food if something's available. (E.g., I use inorganic potassium sulfate to raise K because I can't find anything organic to raise K. Ashes would wok. But, I want to be more in tune with the NPK ratio. I don't think I can do that with ashes. If I were creating a more complete/living/composted soil, where everything's available to the plant when it needs it, I'd use ashes. I want the benefits of both worlds. Some organic activity in the soil. But, more immediate delivery/control of nutrients. I reach for organic sources of nutrients when it fits my goal. Gypsum for Ca def instead of "calmag" containing inorganic calcium nitrate, etc. But, I'm not religiously against inorganic sources. I just try to default to organic sources if they're relatively fast acting. It's a balancing act. I'll use epsom salt for Mg def. That's inorganic. But, I might use Langeinite if I want to adjust both K & Mg. It's organic, I think. Comes from mined material.).

If you do it the way you described, I would be careful to err on the light side. With all those amendments, you could end up like Fox Farms Ocean Forest where people never know when to start feeding, how much, etc. I wouldn't know how much to add.

[1] I intend to experiment using an ordinary peat moss, like bales sold at the garden center. Mix 65% peat, 35% perlite. Add some amount of dolomite (in addition to what I add to my mix. I.e., Pro-Mix HP has some dolomite already. I'm not sure how much. The plain peat at the garden center doesn't.). And some myco. (Pro-Mix HP has myco.). I've been told this might not end up being as good as Pro-Mix HP. But... I'd like to find out.
[2] I also use calcitic lime to improve the Ca:Mg ratio of dolomitic lime. Maybe 7/8 Tbsp dolomitic to 5/8 Tbsp calcitic. A 3:1 ratio of those two limes produces a 2:1 ratio of elemental Ca:Mg. (A 1:1 ratio of those limes produces a 3:4 ratio of Ca:Mg.). Anywhere in that range is good. But, dolomite by itself is fine. It's 1.62:1 by itself. That's not optimal.
[3] This was more of a concern when I planted seeds directly in the soil. I still germinate in the soil, but I create a small (1 rounded Tbsp) "seed bed" in the top of the soil. I soak Jiffy pellets in water, cut them open and keep the fine peat material without the netting holding it together. I put some perlite in a plastic bag and step on it a few times to break the perlite chunks down to a sand/powder consistency. I add that to the fine peat. Maybe 1:1 or 2:1 peat to perlite.

I feel like the Jiffy pellets are too dense and dry too slowly. Also, the net interferes with the roots. But, I also feel my soil is too chunky for sprouting. So, I scoop out a Tbsp or two of my soil, and replace that depression with fine peat & perlite material.

This is a photo of it in wet soil & seed bed (the seed is in the center, hasn't been covered yet). You can't see the finer, more-powdery perlite mixed into that fine peat. It's about 1" diameter and 3/4" deep:

View attachment 881141

I do similar, I start with promix and for every 10 gallons of soil add a cup of worm castings and 1/3 cup organic fertilizer. I really like gaia green 4-4-4.
Gives the plants some nutrition but leaves room for feedings.

I would argue though that you can infact establish benificial microbe population in an amended soiless mix as long as the liquid fertilizer you are feeding is very low dose or even better, organically derived.

Top Bottom