Am I Missing Anything Important?

• Thread starter below frigid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
below frigid

below frigid

Here is this years soil mix. Is there anything else that I should really have in there.
My base is a blend of mostly native soil and some Roots 707 with extra perilite, chicken and steer manure mixed in. Some of the soil has been reused over 10 years just re amended every season. I made a blend of
bone meal, fish bone meal, crab meal, blood meal, feather meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, seabird guano, gypsum, oyster shell, dolomite, humic acid, rock dust and lots of compost. Did not add anymore worm castings this season since I made 6 yrds of compost. It has got some worm castings every year in the past. Anything I am missing??? Do you think I am making a mistake forgoing the castings??? Thanks.

iKharon

iKharon

Here is this years soil mix. Is there anything else that I should really have in there.
My base is a blend of mostly native soil and some Roots 707 with extra perilite, chicken and steer manure mixed in. Some of the soil has been reused over 10 years just re amended every season. I made a blend of
bone meal, fish bone meal, crab meal, blood meal, feather meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, seabird guano, gypsum, oyster shell, dolomite, humic acid, rock dust and lots of compost. Did not add anymore worm castings this season since I made 6 yrds of compost. It has got some worm castings every year in the past. Anything I am missing??? Do you think I am making a mistake forgoing the castings??? Thanks.
Mix I use...

IMG 0310
below frigid

below frigid

Mix I use...

Thanks for that, we have a lot of the same ingredients. I see that feather meal is your main source of N. I know it is released slowly over time. I like to use a few different sources some N now blood meal and some N later feather meal. It seem I always come up a little short on N come September/ October with a little more yellowing earlier than I would like. The good side is I know all the N is used up. Not sure if it matters to much when it's all organic.

tj Wise

tj Wise

Mycorrhiza and Azomite -- and i'd add a small amount of fresh Worm Castings, too. I would stir in something like one cup of each per one yard.

below frigid

below frigid

A handful of straw and/or cardboard might be appreciated by the earth worms & fungi.

I made 6+ yards of compost from Straw, Alfalfa and some Bloodmeal. I think the worms and fungi will be happy since I have see worms and mushrooms already in the compost pile as well as all that good white stuff growing all over the compost. Going to split up the 6 yards up into 40 - 200 gallon pots.

Top Bottom