Amateur grower in Texas needs help with the details!

• Thread starter ewo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

So, how should I do the grow?

• Indoors

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Outdoors

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Indoors, move outside when strong?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
E

ewo

Hi,
You've probably heard this all before - but hi! I'm in Texas and this is my second grow. The first was in 2004 and went OK. I've moved since then and have some new options and wanted to get some expert advice.

On Thursday (6 days ago) I germed 6 seeds by paper towel method.

• Skunk
• Hindu Kush
• White Widow
• Northern Lights
• California Orange
• Sweet & Sage (local variety)

They sprouted over the weekend and I planted them on Sunday. I was out of town and probably should have done it sooner.

For now, I planted them in over-sized jello shot cups. About two inches of dirt.

So first questions:
Is that a bad place to put them? Should I start them out in something large? Or let them get going and move them?

Moving on, they are currently outside. Now, I know Texas heat is usually a bit much, but I've gotten lucky - this week it has stayed under 90* much of the time because we've been getting some rain.

But basically, second question:
If I want success, do I need to make this an indoor grow? I also research my strains, would an indoor/outdoor mix with some in some out be a good idea?

Also, how does the natural vs. artificial light cycle impact the plant? If I put it indoors, I would have it 18/6. I suppose with summer having a lot of daylight we're getting CLOSE to that outside but not the same ...

Indoor setup would be (for babies) 6 CFLS made into one large fixture (see below .. thats how they are attached)

... OR ... there's the option of indoor til they are looking good and then moving outside. It just stresses me out a lot to have the be 1000W light / ballast when they get bigger ... in a closet ... it's such a hazard. and I have 2 extra bedrooms but they both have HUGE windows and I dont really know if I am ready for an entire grow ROOM.

Anyway, I just wanted to get your thoughts and input so I can make the best decision for these plants.

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

Also, one final question - how does this forum work with me being in Texas and growing being less than encouraged in Texas?

Should I not post pics? Are pics ok? Should I use a proxy server when accessing the site? Or should I just chill a bit?

Thanks!

J

Jayrodd

Hi, welcome to the site!! Anyway, my advice is: 1) they should be fine in the jello cups for like 2 weeks or so, just make sure that you don't overwater when they are so young, as the roots are pretty fragile at the beginning.
2) you don't necessarily need to grow inside to have a successful grow, as all those strains shoud do fine outdoors as long as it isn't too humid/rainy in your climate in late flowering. Just make sure you place them where they get enough direct light, and put them in Good soil.

I plant both indoors and outdoors, and you'd be surprised how easy it seems to be to grow outside, compared to inside (with the exception of predators). Give it a shot bro, it'll be a good learning experience if nothing else. Oh and about worrying about posting pics and what not-- just make sure the pics don't have you or anything that could show your exact location in them. You should exercise a little caution when posting, but you have enough other things to be worrying about than posting on an internet forum.

E

ewo

Cool, i appreciate the reply - thanks! I started a grow diary too so we can see how it goes!

What soil do you recommend? During vegetative it should be either
20-10-10 or 30-15-15, right?

Mine is 10-5-5 and is an organic blend ... do you think that would be okay for the next 2 weeks? Then put them in something a little stronger for the rest of veg when they move containers?

H

heater

If your thinking about plants outside i hope they are going in a very safe location.
Plants in containers outside the root ball must be protected from the heat, bury container or no direct sunlight hitting pot.

Fox Farm Ocean Forest is good, use their 3 pack nutes to keep it simple follow their feeding table starting at half strength and watch the plants to tell you they need or want more.

In regards to pictures just show the plant make sure nothing to give location away.Keep safe in texas neighbor,,:rasta:

S

snowkitty

Stay indoors if your state isn't cannabis friendly, for sure. Pick up Barry Cooper's DVD Never Get Raided for some good tips on garden security. I think he might be a fellow Texan, in fact.

S

shdowlkr

Cool, i appreciate the reply - thanks! I started a grow diary too so we can see how it goes!

What soil do you recommend? During vegetative it should be either
20-10-10 or 30-15-15, right?

Mine is 10-5-5 and is an organic blend ... do you think that would be okay for the next 2 weeks? Then put them in something a little stronger for the rest of veg when they move containers?

In a sense, all of those ferts are "the same thing"
Ratio wise that is... 2:1:1 which is suggested for veg and 1:2:2 for flower

I'd be careful when its time to transplant from the jello cups... not much soil for the roots to hold on to, it may crumble then you have delicate roots to manage into the soil..
You dont have any solo cups or a dollar store near by to pick up a pack?

E

ewo

Thanks all! Really appreciate the advice. Will pick up solo cups or small pots tomorrow and get them moved while they are still small if thats the best thing to do ...

I did realize I'd need to bury the pots if I was using ceramic or something like that but I will be sure to if it's best for the roots.

I think I am going to do half indoors and half outdoors for now and see how it goes, how hot the closet gets and how the outdoor plants look and see how to move forward.

I'd really like to keep them outside - I feel like it should be safe with just a few plants b/c I own my house, have a reasonably secluded yard and would be able to keep the plant from public view ... I guess may eventually have to move them in if the smell is too strong when they get bigger ...

Thanks again, will post some updated pics manana.

P

paco666

I'd really like to keep them outside - I feel like it should be safe with just a few plants b/c I own my house, have a reasonably secluded yard and would be able to keep the plant from public view ... I guess may eventually have to move them in if the smell is too strong when they get bigger ...

if your creative with your planting, no one will ever notice them....i dont put them near my veggies... i use the plums, chinese elms and the weeds....friends will look right at em, hang out by em... walk right next to them.... no one sees em but me and my momma dog...gonna get a small digi camera and post some pics soon....
sounds like the only difference between our yards is i'm in a medical state that seemed friendly before it went medical...my votes indoor and out...good luck

Top Bottom