Amending Native Soil

• Thread starter LexLuthor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Hey farmers, just wanted to start a thread about native soil amendment, if you have any experience or idea's related to this, please share.

Im gonna be guerrilla growing soon, i have no idea what the native soil contains, maybe I'll get it analysed soon...anyways, here is my plan (that will probably change before its implemented)

I'm gonna loosen up the soil about 18-24 in. wide and 12-18 in. deep, per plant, then amend with EWC, bone, blood and kelp meal and dolomite lime. Not sure exactly how much I'm gonna use, I'll probably just wing it. Lets say 1 gal EWC, 2 cups bone meal, 1 cup blood meal, 2 cups kelp meal, 1 cup lime. Oh yeah, and almost forgot the most important ingredient of all, OG BIOWAR!! I'll use his bennies per instructions.

I think thats good, what ya'll think? These plants will be very young when put into the ground. Im not trying to grow 2 lb. plants, if I start end of Aug. they will be ready beginning of Dec. I know ya'll think its too cold, but I'm in FL and Pro told me he did it like that for years, so I'll take his word for it. So with a short veg time I dont expect huge yields per plant, so I think that'll be good. Share your idea's and experience farmers!!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How it's amended really depends on what you're starting with, in my experience. Which is pretty much on very heavy, rocky clay. It requires a LOT of CaSO4 and organic matter, and even then... it's a tough patch o' dirt.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

i havent decided on a spot, still checking them out to find the safest one. But the soil aint got much clay in it, more sandy.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Sandy soil is very airy, dosn't hold nutrients well, or stabilize plants well. Making sure your plants are firmly rooted is important. What I like too do is place diapers at the bottom of fairly deep holes this helps extend the frequency of needing too water, as well as creates a water table deeper in the ground for roots too grow towards which helps hold and stabilize plants. The deeper the root system the more protected it is from drought. This is crazy important when growing big plants in sandy soil. You will need organic material too help hold nutirents from being washed away any sort of organic compost will work. Some of my best set it and forget it grows ive done were done with cheap soil i got from big lots for $.99 a bag made from cow and poultry waste. Depending on how sandy your material is will dictate how much organic material too add, that'll take a little trial and error. Depending on how often you will frequent your plants. I like too judge it by getting it wet and making a ball of dirt in my hand if it stays together it's good if it falls apart I add a little more compost. Last adding mulch of any kind too prevent evaporation is also important in sandy soils. Leafs, tall grass, even sticks will work whatever is available at your site too cover the ground. I also like too amend my sandy soil with slow release nutrients.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

thanks for the tips, I already changed my mind lol Im gonna use this for nutrients

http://www.urbansunshine.com/bmz_cache/f/f686bcd3a7b93439e4f43b3fb1766add.image.170x198.png

not the best nutrient profile imo, but its mostly organic and the ease of use is what I really need since the location will be kinda far from home in uncharted territory lol i dont want to go in and out with too much shit, but i'll definitely add some compost for the structure.

i heard of the diaper trick before, but never used it....i think ima do it this cycle

SpiderK

SpiderK

i was in michigan this past weekend and picked up a nice tip.

take a wine bottle & fill it with water stick it into the soil. it only comes out as the soil dries around the root zone ..... he was using two per tomato plant and only visited on the weekends.

SunGrown

SunGrown

I grew some plants in straight decomposed granite last year with great success. The stuff is basically sand. So don't be afraid of the sand. They were over 12 feet tall and round easy at harvest and yielded great. I have pics posted in one of my old threads somewhere.

For amendments I didn't really use any. I tilled in a small amount of old soil and probably added some oyster shell and kelp and irrigated liquid nutes.

Mad Mike

Mad Mike

I think it would really depend on your soil type. some soils would be good to grow in from the get-go...others would probably take years to turn into something half decent. Soil high in limestone will have a high ph which would hhave to be factored in..sandy soils are better to stsrt weith than rocky imo..

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

i was in michigan this past weekend and picked up a nice tip.

take a wine bottle & fill it with water stick it into the soil. it only comes out as the soil dries around the root zone ..... he was using two per tomato plant and only visited on the weekends.

so stick the wine bottle with no top upside down, into the soil near the plant? good idea

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wanna know what I'm doing in my new big raised bed? Permaculture principle--stuck a bunch of logs in the bottom, soaked 'em. They act like gigantic sponges. Since the neighbor had a pine go down a few months ago he'd been trying to give away the logs, nobody wanted 'em. I couldn't take all for this installment, but when we do another we'll be golden.
i havent decided on a spot, still checking them out to find the safest one. But the soil aint got much clay in it, more sandy.
Then your problem will be water retention moreso than root penetration, which is my problem. Adding a good bit of organic matter and magnesium to tighten the sandy soil up would be a start.
I think it would really depend on your soil type. some soils would be good to grow in from the get-go...others would probably take years to turn into something half decent. Soil high in limestone will have a high ph which would hhave to be factored in..sandy soils are better to stsrt weith than rocky imo..
You can fuckin' say THAT again! Jesus God, it's more like we get a little dirt with our rocks up here.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

rocky soil sucks, i lived up north in the mountains and i couldn't get a shovel 3 in. deep without a DING!!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

anybody grow in a state park? theres one close to my house and its massive, i was thinking of going balls deep in the park and planting close by a creek. i just have to scope it 1st to see how much traffic goes thru there.

SunGrown

SunGrown

so stick the wine bottle with no top upside down, into the soil near the plant? good idea
a guy near here created these things many years ago for watering that way
aqua-globes.jpg

but almost any glass or plastic container works, I have used pvc pipe the same way before, or a 5 gallon bucket with a 1/4" drip line on the bottom buried in the ground waters slowly for a long time

SunGrown

SunGrown

anybody grow in a state park? theres one close to my house and its massive, i was thinking of going balls deep in the park and planting close by a creek. i just have to scope it 1st to see how much traffic goes thru there.
lots of folks grow in state and national parks, but I wouldn't personally. But if I had no choice I would certainly go with a state park over national. Large tracts of private land with springs or creeks is a much safer bet for not getting caught. Fish and game are all over waterways in state and national parks.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

hahaa i remember the aqua globes corny infomercial, great idea.

I know its sketchy, but the large areas of private land are far as hell from me. Im just gonna grow some big balls and do it lol but i will definitely plan shit out

SunGrown

SunGrown

I was gonna add to my post earlier that yes, if you are gonna do it, go balls to the wall and do it well and do it big and have a plan to get it all in and more importantly, to get it all back out when you are done!

Mad Mike

Mad Mike

You can fuckin' say THAT again! Jesus God, it's more like we get a little dirt with our rocks up here.

haha sorry, must have hit a chord there :P

I have in the past. Make sure you cover your tracks well and stay right off the beaten path.

kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid

Blumat's are a great auto-watering system that just uses gravity. I've left my indoor go 2.5 weeks unmonitored while I was on vaction and they all survived. They are fairly cheap and even costco sells them now. Plus, you can use 5 gallon buckets or what ever to make as big of a reservoir as you want.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I wont be able to set up a watering system, but I will use diapers in the bottom of the holes to help and if I have to visit 2x a week so be it. Planting them in the ground so I dont think it will be a huge problem with drying out.

Top Bottom