• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Get Up, Stand Up: Ammiano Introduces Marijuana Legalization Bill to the Press

By Joe Eskenazi in Breaking News, Government
Monday, Feb. 23 2009 @ 11:21AM

Assemblyman Tom Ammiano's press conference this morning announcing his marijuana-legalization bill started punctually and stayed relentlessly on-point -- thereby denying a barb to every journalist present.

Ammiano and the assembled speakers at San Francisco's State Building also spoke calmly and methodically, at one point being drowned out by a floor-waxer. The famously funny lawmaker reined himself in, presenting "The Marijuana Control, regulation and education act (AB 390)" as a simple matter of fiscal common sense. If you believe Ammiano and his straitlaced panel, it is.

In a nutshell, here's what the bill would do: "Remove all penalties under California law for the cultivation, transportation, sale, purchase, possession, and use of marijuana, natural THC and paraphernalia by persons over the age of 21," "prohibit local and state law enforcement officials from enforcing federal marijuana laws (more on that later)" and establish a fee of $50 an ounce on marijuana on top of whatever pot will cost in a legal future - which legalization advocates say is about half what it costs now. This tax rate figures at about a buck a joint.

Betty Yee, the chairwoman of the Board of Equalization, called Ammiano's proposal "a responsible measure on how to work out the regulatory framework of the legalization of marijuana." Her board's research indicated $1.3 billion in tax dollars could immediately head into the state's coffers from the fee on marijuana and the sales tax on medical pot. She figured the halving of marijuana's street price would cause a consumption increase of 40 percent, but the $50 per ounce levy would cut use by 11 percent.

Steve Gutwillig, the state director of Drug Policy Alliance, noted that regulatory measures like Ammiano's bill can work: Teen smoking is way down, and he claims juveniles report it is easier to obtain marijuana than purchase smokes. "Marijuana arrests actually increased 18 percent in California in 2007 while all other arrests for controlled substances fell," said Gutwillig. "This costs the state a billion dollars a year and taxpayers are footing the bill. Meanwhile, black marketers are laughing all the way to the bank."

But the morning's most forceful speaker was Judge James P. Gray, who retired from his 25-year post on the Orange County Superior Court six weeks ago. With his gray suit, tasseled loafers, and conservative salt-and-pepper haircut, he looked like central casting's offering for "Republican candidate for higher office." Not surprisingly, Gray did run as a Republican for Congress against Bob Dornan and Loretta Sanchez and Senate vs. Bill Jones and Barbara Boxer. He now says he's "not a politician - and I have the votes to prove it."

"I served 25 years on the bench and I've seen the results of this attempted prohibition. It doesn't make marijuana less available, but it does clog the court system," said the judge.

"The stronger we get on marijuana, the softer we get with regard to all other prosecutions because we have only so many resources. And we at this moment, have thousands of people in state prison right this minute who did nothing but smoke marijuana."

Gray noted that anyone who tokes up while out on parole can immediately be sent right back to prison, at great cost to the taxpayers.

"You and I as adults can go home tonight and drink 10 martinis. It's not a healthy thing to do but it's not illegal. Someone who smokes marijuana and goes to bed risks jail," continued the judge. "I don't smoke marijuana and if you legalized it today and gave it away at every street corner I'm still not going to. But the most harmful thing about marijuana today is prison - and also the most expensive. I take President Obama at his word - he said let's look at what's working and what is not, and jettison those programs that are not working."

Obama also wrote in his autobiography that he did "a little blow" and Ammiano is hopeful the new president will look upon this issue differently than his predecessor (it warrants mentioning that those fighting against torture and rendition also hoped that - and were disappointed).

Ammiano told SF Weekly that he doesn't expect his bill to pass "overnight," but doesn't see it as merely a "placeholder." As far as superseding federal law, he pointed to a similar bill recently introduced in Congress by Rep. Barney Frank; hopefully the law of the land will change. If not, Ammano hoped to exploit "fuzziness" regarding state and federal laws and the low priority this state has given to busting marijuana users entitled by Proposition 215. He predicted that, in these dire economic times, "support will fall all over" for his bill.

Perhaps, perhaps not. But this much is certain: If Ammiano pulls this off, there's a place for him reserved on the Mount Rushmore of Pot Gods, right between Cheech, Chong, and Bob Marley.

Source:
Activism:
Digg:
Reddit:
Current: http://current.com/items/89837037/l...egislation_monday_to_allow_pot_and_tax_it.htm

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Truly unreal to see legislators going for it. Pass or fail, it's these types of historical events that help to propel a real change in peoples' perception of marijuana.
:yes

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
It wasn't just him on the news either, the Treasurer, state secretary, etc...all hung it out there, but they are right so it is going to be hard to argue...

14 Billion a year conservatively in Cali alone, they just want their cut, same as it ever was....

His voice drives me crazy, it's like mighty mouse rockin the mic

Tex

Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Here's the bill text:

Even the governator said "It's just a leaf." Call or write CA state legislators today.

G

greyfx

With recent times I truly believe it has a chance, email and write your reps.

T

twisted metal

So when is the voting on this bill gonna take place or did i miss it?

N

Nuglover

One dumbass will probably screw it up somehow....not sure how but it seems like every time something good starts to happen some moron will come along...
I do hope it passes though, for all my Cali brethren.

Memorias

Memorias

This is some really good news.hope this happens.If this goes thru, time to come home for sure.:cool0041:

Cali smoke

Cali smoke

So when is the voting on this bill gonna take place or did i miss it?
CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 390
AUTHOR(S) : Ammiano.
TOPIC : Marijuana Control, Regulation, and Education Act.
HOUSE LOCATION : ASM

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 02/24/2009
LAST HIST. ACTION : From printer. May be heard in committee March 26.

TITLE : An act to add Section 22394.1 to, and to add Chapter
14.5 (commencing with Section 25400) to Division 9 of,
the Business and Professions Code, to amend Section
68152 of the Government Code, to amend Sections 11014.5,
11054, 11357, 11364.5, 11370, 11470, 11479, 11488,
11532, 11703, and 11705 of, to add Division 10.3
(commencing with Section 11720) to, and to repeal
Sections 11358, 11359, 11360, 11361, and 11485 of, the
Health and Safety Code, to add Part 14.6 (commencing
with Section 34001) to Division 2 of the Revenue and
Taxation Code, to amend Sections 23222 and 40000.15 of
the Vehicle Code, and to amend Section 18901.3 of the
Welfare and Institutions Code, relating to marijuana.

H

Hemphrey Bogart

Good to see Ammiano is sticking with his stance on herb. He's been with the whole legalization movement since before the Peron days.

A

Attis

I'll smoke to that

It's about time that our representatives do something about this. We all know that they are aware of the benefits that this holds, as well as the BS that the current laws promote. :afroweed:

P

punkadc

from the NORML website:

"U.S. Attorney General Says Justice Department Will No Longer Interfere With States’ Medical Pot Policies"

another step in the right direction!!!

Cali smoke

Cali smoke

from the NORML website:

"U.S. Attorney General Says Justice Department Will No Longer Interfere With States’ Medical Pot Policies"

another step in the right direction!!!

another obstacle cleared for the passage of this bill. :banana:

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah it was on the new last night that they will not be steppin in with raids and shit no mo

E

ESSC-RIPmaster

I think that it should made "legal" by those possessing a medical card. If we make it legal to everyone the market will flood with low quality weed, and crime in our neighboring states will rise because every crime syndicate in the US will come grow super mega amounts of weed in our state then transport it back

Top Bottom