Amount of A/C needed for 12k + controller question.

• Thread starter Gnarfbuckle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gnarfbuckle

Hey all,

Planning out a sealed room grow and have a few questions.

Gonna be running 12 1000w lights in magnum vented hoods.

How big of a mini split will i need to keep it cool?

Also im looking at enviro controllers, particularly the Sentinel EVC-2, but noticed it only takes up to 15 amps and most mini splits take 30 or more amps.

Do mini splits have a thermostat built in, or do i need a controller and what kind would you recommend?

Thanks. and more to come.

deacon1503

deacon1503

CannabisJohn can verify this. If the lights are sealed and vented to the exterior, Id say a 2 ton would be plenty. If open in the room, then 4 tons.

To power the mini split being controlled by a controller, a CAP High Power Relay would work.

However, mini splits have a thermostat built in, so I don't think you'll need one.

brd

brd

I installed a mini split recently and they have there own controls. I would recommend at least a 16 SEER unit. You will be very happy they are awesome. The installation is quite easy as well.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey all,

Also im looking at enviro controllers, particularly the Sentinel EVC-2, but noticed it only takes up to 15 amps and most mini splits take 30 or more amps.

Do mini splits have a thermostat built in, or do i need a controller and what kind would you recommend?

I recommend 4 tons for 12kw vented lights. Depends on ur room to some extent. Do it with 2- 2 ton units then you can stage them plus largest mini you can buy is 3 tons. I have seen 4 tons do 12kw vented in an insulated,sealed room built in garage. They need all 4 tons when it is hot. Also the air for hoods is from house so it is cool in summer. Mini splits have tstat built in to indoor unit. If you have big room I recommend getting units that you can buy hard wire wall stats for them. Most of the cheap brands you can't do that with. I know Mitsubishi and Fujitsu can but can't buy the hard wire stat for Mitsubishi online and can't buy Fujitsu online at all unless you want warranty voided. Actual amp draw on 2 ton unit is usually around 12-20 amps depending on outside temps. Not sure if a mini can be wired to environmental controller. Check with maker of controller.

G

Gnarfbuckle

Thanks for the info guys.

Couple more questions.

A mini split only goes up to 3ton, what is the step up from mini split?

I am also thinking about eventually making a seond room adjacent and run a flip flip.
Is there a way to have one ac unit cool both rooms or switch between em?

I was budgeting around 4-5k for A/c, will this be enough?

brd

brd

Cannabisjohn is recommending using 2 two ton units. That way in the spring and fall you can use one for heat and one for cooling. I would agree that would be the cats ass. You should be able to get two units for five grand.

If your planning on two rooms you can buy a dual zone mini split. But the biggest dual zone units I've seen are two 18,000 btu units. You have lots of options. I would just do a mini split search and you will come up with all kinds of info. I Bought mine from ebay no problems and good deal. Also many sites give you a tutorial on how to install them. But at the same time warn against it. But its not hard. All I can say is make sure you tighten the hell out of the flared connections.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Couple more questions.

I am also thinking about eventually making a seond room adjacent and run a flip flip.

If you want a single unit for 2 rooms on flip flop of 12kw lights each it will be hard to get it done for 4-5000. I would not do it because in hot weather both rooms will need a/c in daytime whether lights are on or off. Obviously you will need less a/c for room with lights off. Next step up is to a household type ducted split system. You can duct the rooms with zone controls to only a/c one room at a time or zone it with a over sized unit for 1 room ,with lights on, to provide some cooling to room with lights off. For example if you need 4 tons for room with lights on then do a 5 ton unit and they may work. I would recommend multiple minis for each room.

bobby

bobby

Hey all,

This is a very important decision you are about to make, so I would carefully weigh your options before pulling the trigger.

You need to think about the climate, when you eventually run 2 rooms. 1 of them will always be running during the day time, so it could be hot out. If it's hot outside and you are air cooling your lights, pulling in hot air through your lights is a waste of time and increased security and pest risk.

Air cooling your hoods is tricky to do right, this is because no air fixture is actually air tight and flexible ducting will have small air leaks. In order to pull air through your lights, you actually need to build a custom filter box the end of the run. You put your can filter in the box, then pull the air from the box. The can filter must be connected to your ducting, so when you pull air from the box, it will force the air through the filter.

It's best that you eliminate your air cooled light plan, if you are serious about running 2 rooms.

If you plan on only running 1 room, then you could air cool your fixtures, run the room at night...and get away with a smaller AC....but this really limits your financial plans. Why not do it right from the beginning?

In order to properly cool 12kw, you will need to run a 5 ton split AC. This is not a mini split, but a regular split. The reason I know this is because I've built more than 10 grow rooms, all sealed with AC in Southern California...if you are somewhere else, maybe you can get away with a smaller AC, but I wouldn't take that huge risk.

With the 5 ton split system, you can get a zoning kit with 2 zones. You put a thermostat in each room with supply and return ducting to each room, all with dampers that open and close when your room needs cooling.

You do not need an environmental controller with a sealed room.

By doing it this way, you eliminate the need to air cool your lights...so you can spend the money you save on the fans/ducting/filter system...and put it towards the correct AC.

AC is the heart of growing, so don't test the limits by purchasing a 4 ton...You might be able to get away with it at night....but why limit your revenue by trying to save a thousand bucks?

Do it right the first time and laugh all the way to the bank. Go cheap and you will have to turn off lights...eliminating a lot of revenue.

bobby

bobby

Couple more questions.

Ask CJ what his cost estimates are, but I don't think 5k will be enough to install a 5 ton split AC, drop your condenser on your roof with a crane, ducting, zoning, dampers, etc.

You might be able to get someone to do it for 5k, but probably only for 1 room with minimal ducting.

Seriously, if you plan on running 2 rooms, and you have the space for it, do it. The goal in growing is to have as many lamps as possible on and producing.

Top Bottom