Amount of water/nutes per feed?

• Thread starter AnOldColdSoul13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

Okay so this may be a dumb question and im going to try and word it the best i can... So when giving a plant water, we basically want to thoroughly soak the soil but also drain off the excess, right? Dont want to drown the roots or let the plant go thirsty, where good drainage and certain medium comes into play like coco and perlite, etc.. So my question is, "When feeding nutes to a plant, do you just mix up enough feed water to thoroughly soak the medium until it starts to drain at the bottom? And does it matter how much nutrients are passing through the roots/medium when you're watering as long as the ratio of nute/water is correct and there is good drainage?" Basically dont want to burn the plants, starve them, or dehydrate them. By the way, I have 3 gallon fabric pots with coco/perlite mother earth mix as about 80% of my medium. I have some peat mixed in also, is why i say 80% I'll be using ph perfect micro, grow, and bloom by advanced nutrients. And i have autos.. Thank you for any input

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

For coco... if you have the right conditions... temps 78-84f room.

I did a thread here on high fertigation. It's for optimized feeding under an optimized environment and lighting.

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

For coco... if you have the right conditions... temps 78-84f room.

I did a thread here on high fertigation. It's for optimized feeding under an optimized environment and lighting.

Okay i just read that and it makes a lot of sense, so i copied and pasted to my notes under "Feed guide". So basically I'd probably want to start out half strength or less on my nutes with this fertigation guide? I've been told to start out that way and adjust accordingly, so I'd imagine that goes for this method also? Youre a lot of help by the way. I appreciate it

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Okay i just read that and it makes a lot of sense, so i copied and pasted to my notes under "Feed guide". So basically I'd probably want to start out half strength or less on my nutes with this fertigation guide? I've been told to start out that way and adjust accordingly, so I'd imagine that goes for this method also? Youre a lot of help by the way. I appreciate it
Yeah prob start 200-300 and work up to 600-800ppm.

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

Yeah prob start 200-300 and work up to 600-800ppm.
Is this is a pretty good guide to go by as far as an auto feeding guide? I know a certain ppm range is what im going for, but is this a good idea as far as which nutes to feed and how much?
Screenshot 20210308 021833 Chrome
Screenshot 20210308 020808 Chrome

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Is this is a pretty good guide to go by as far as an auto feeding guide? I know a certain ppm range is what im going for, but is this a good idea as far as which nutes to feed and how much?
View attachment 1100477View attachment 1100476
It's all depends on the plants and growth rates which is directly related to pretty much everything from media to lights and everything enviroment.

I dont agree with that schedule only because of the nutrient ratios and the time they are used. I can look at the GH trio and make a suggestion here in the next hr or so if you like?

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

It's all depends on the plants and growth rates which is directly related to pretty much everything from media to lights and everything enviroment.

I dont agree with that schedule only because of the nutrient ratios and the time they are used. I can look at the GH trio and make a suggestion here in the next hr or so if you like?
Hell yeah. If you don't mind.. i know its something i have to get a feel for with the individual plants and the enviroment, but a guide line to go by or start with would be great! I fully trust your opinion too, so by all means, i would appreciate that very much. Im going on a road trip in a few minutes, so i probably wont see it for a couple hours, but i will at some point today be able to log in and check it out. My autos are 10 days old now and the tracking on my nutes says its on the other side of the country, so hopefully ill have them within 3 or 4 days so i can start feeding

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

By the way, i ordered the rest of the ph perfect line that i was missing. I have some cal mag on the way also. I have some silica supplement here too

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

By the way, i ordered the rest of the ph perfect line that i was missing. I have some cal mag on the way also. I have some silica supplement here too
I hate to say this but PH perfect is designed for RO and has plenty of cal mag in it... it usually doesn't play well with additives.

So not GH trio? Will be using PH perfect?

They IMO are used very differently.

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

I hate to say this but PH perfect is designed for RO and has plenty of cal mag in it... it usually doesn't play well with additives.

Yeah i was trying to take everybody's advice and get the 2 out of the 3 that i didnt have. I dont know if you remember a couple weeks ago when i posted a thread on using hydro nutes in soil or coco. But i was asking about the different nutes i have and what the best route would be. Everyone was saying to order the rest of the ph perfect line (I already had Grow. Just needed micro and bloom) Im wondering if i shouldve just went with my initial thought and do fox farm organic liquids..

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

In your opinion, being that my auto seedlings are 10 days old already and the nutes are still in transit being shipped, should i just roll with the Ph perfect when it gets here? Or try shipping it back for a refund then ordering the GH trio and waiting another several days for shipping? Theyll be probably 4 weeks old by time i do that and get my hands on the other nutrients.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

In your opinion, being that my auto seedlings are 10 days old already and the nutes are still in transit being shipped, should i just roll with the Ph perfect when it gets here? Or try shipping it back for a refund then ordering the GH trio and waiting another several days for shipping? Theyll be probably 4 weeks old by time i do that and get my hands on the other nutrients.
You can use either they are just used differently.

If ya have ph perfect coming I'd just stick to it.

When using them I suggest just sticking to the ph perfect and adding nothing else. Do not ph adjust them and only check the ppm. Which is completely different than I would recommend with the trio.

You will want to start off at about 400ppm to ensure there are enough nutrients to adequately control ph.

They are the designed to be new grower friendly and usually only have issues when ppl try to ph or add a bunch of other stuff to them.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah i was trying to take everybody's advice and get the 2 out of the 3 that i didnt have. I dont know if you remember a couple weeks ago when i posted a thread on using hydro nutes in soil or coco. But i was asking about the different nutes i have and what the best route would be. Everyone was saying to order the rest of the ph perfect line (I already had Grow. Just needed micro and bloom) Im wondering if i shouldve just went with my initial thought and do fox farm organic liquids..
No you will be fine with those... just stick to keeping it simple and don't add anything else to them.

Madmax

Madmax

Gee im giving mine fertilizer from near day dot.but very very low dose .i rinse my coir down to a more acceptable level of 100ppm...most bags i buy can b up to 500ppm..i dont know if anyone else is doing that but its working for me..

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Gee im straight it giving mine fertilizer from near day dot.but very very low dose .i rinse my coir down to a more acceptable level of 100ppm...most bags i buy can b up to 500ppm..i dont know if anyone else is doing that but its working for me..
I like my canna coco... washed really well even though I rinse my bricks but anyone I know using the bags of already expanded don't even bother rinsing

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

You can use either they are just used differently.

If ya have ph perfect coming I'd just stick to it.

When using them I suggest just sticking to the ph perfect and adding nothing else. Do not ph adjust them and only check the ppm. Which is completely different than I would recommend with the trio.

You will want to start off at about 400ppm to ensure there are enough nutrients to adequately control ph.

They are the designed to be new grower friendly and usually only have issues when ppl try to ph or add a bunch of other stuff to them.
1 more question and ill leave u alone🙂 Ive been having to adjust the ph of my water a little bit. Do i still do that before i mix the nutrients in or just forget adjusting ph altogether?

Madmax

Madmax

I like my canna coco... washed really well even though I rinse my bricks but anyone I know using the bags of already expanded don't even bother rinsing
They arnt me lol 😉...even when i up pot i will rinse to the ppm im feeding at.ive noticed i can get alot of the finer coir out that blocks the holes up in pots when im rinsing

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

1 more question and ill leave u alone🙂 Ive been having to adjust the ph of my water a little bit. Do i still do that before i mix the nutrients in or just forget adjusting ph altogether?
Nope you never adjust the ph with these... prob best to not even look unless you have an issue.

What is your source water and ppm?

AnOldColdSoul13

AnOldColdSoul13

Nope you never adjust the ph with these... prob best to not even look unless you have an issue.

What is your source water and ppm?
Im using tap water that seems to have a ph of 7.0 or more, so ive been adjusting that to 6.0-6.5
I just recently got a tds meter. I havent checked it out yet other than reading the instructions. Just been letting tap water sit open for bout 24 hours, then adjusting the ph, and watering about every 4 hours

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Im using tap water that seems to have a ph of 7.0 or more, so ive been adjusting that to 6.0-6.5
I just recently got a tds meter. I havent checked it out yet other than reading the instructions. Just been letting tap water sit open for bout 24 hours, then adjusting the ph, and watering about every 4 hours
No need to let it sit... but temp adjustment is important... you want as close to the media temp as possible.

Can you test the ppm? Also wanna make sure that you don't have a water softener because you absolutely cannot use it if you do. Unless you run it through RO

Top Bottom