Amsterdam to close 43 coffeeshops (inc. Bulldog)

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

Amsterdam is closing down 43 coffeeshops. At the same time mayor Cohen insists the city is standing by its three-decade old policy of tolerating 'soft drug' sales. The announcement coincides with a meeting of city mayors from throughout the Netherlands to discuss pressing problems with the current Dutch drug policy.

Amsterdam currently has 228 'coffeeshops' where the sale and use of small amounts of marijuana and hashish is permitted.

One of those due to be closed down is The Bulldog, an icon among tourists that is housed in a former police headquarters in the heart of the city. American tourist Dan, from Michigan, says he's shocked by the news that the Bulldog will have to close its doors for good.

"It makes me wonder if I'll come back. When I come over here, I fly 4,000 miles (6,437 kilometres), spend probably 4,000 euros while I'm here. Twice a year. I'll go elsewhere. And I have four Canadian buddies I want to meet later this afternoon - we're meeting here. This is the place to meet."

* On the agenda at today's "weed summit" in Almere are the top-ten issues relating to soft drugs policy. At the top of the list is drugs tourism. Many border towns are unhappy at the nuisance caused by tourists visiting the Netherlands to buy cannabis, and the travelling drug dealers who chase after the tourists trying to sell them both soft and hard drugs.
* One option to deal with nuisance caused by drugs tourism is to locate coffee shops close to the border, away from towns. This is highly unpopular with neighbouring countries. Another is to introduce a pass system, only allowing local residents to buy cannabis.
* Cannabis is not legal in the Netherlands, but it can be sold freely in small amounts in licensed 'coffee shops'. Paradoxically, it remains strictly illegal for the coffee shops to buy in their supplies of cannabis wholesale. Many say this maintains the link between soft drugs and organised crime.
Supporters of the Dutch approach point out that cannabis consumption in the Netherlands is lower than in surrounding European countries, which still operate a purely repressive policy.

Weed summit
The closings in Amsterdam occur against the backdrop of a major meeting in Almere, near the capital city, where several Dutch mayors are discussing local problems with drug policy. The so-called 'weed summit' was called after two southern Dutch towns announced the forced closing of all coffee shops within their municipal limits.

Amsterdam mayor Job Cohen strongly favours the current tolerance policy, but he faces growing opposition from rightwing and moderate parties including the powerful Christian Democrats.

The reason for Amsterdam's sudden about-face is a new national government policy, which dictates that coffeeshops will not be allowed to operate within 250 meters of a school. The Bulldog coffee shop is a short distance from a high school called the Barlaeus Gymnasium.

School
School Principal Margriet Bosman admits that some of her pupils frequent coffee shops, but not The Bulldog, she says. Her school has held talks with the management of the coffee shop to ensure that all customers are checked to ensure they are at least 18 years of age. She takes a dim view of the city's new measure.

"We don't think it's very useful. We actually think it's just for show. Children will get their drugs if they want to anyway, and closing the shops which are quite regulated, like The Bulldog, is not a very good solution to this problem."

But one pupil at the Barlaeus Gymnasium is convinced some of her classmates do buy cannabis at the Bulldog. And she's pretty sure they won't be pleased by the news.

"Yeah, I think so because we go to a school where lots of people smoke joints and that kind of stuff, so I think they won't like it very much that The Bulldog is closing.

Source:

Amsterdam to close 43 coffeeshops inc bulldog
F

FastForward

Obviously The Bulldog is a bit of a Dam posterboy/legend, but what other Dam coffeeshops that you know and love are affected by this? And is it just the Bulldog up by Leidseplein? Presumably the others will all continue as normal....

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

Ahh Europe is really coming together now.. Its all a farce and nothing more. Brussels says something and the right wingers and christians pounce on the chance to push their stupid agenda's, same as the smoking ban.

the free market is supossed to regulate the market but when it comes to fun the christians step in to regulate that for us. But when it comes to health care the christians/right wingers say the market will regulate that in fair and orderly way. Mean while the cost of health care in holland is just as expensieve as it is in the states, converted from $ to euro's. 10 years ago it was a quarter of the price. More cops are visable and petty theft is up, poverty is rising sharply here. I could go on and on. Holland is no longer what it used to be; a guide country for other countries, it just follows big money same as USA and is america's little lap dog. Holland was the only western country besides UK in the coalition of the willing. Little BIATCHES.

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

Obviously The Bulldog is a bit of a Dam posterboy/legend, but what other Dam coffeeshops that you know and love are affected by this? And is it just the Bulldog up by Leidseplein? Presumably the others will all continue as normal....

Rookery just aruond the corner, Betty Boop. Ill find uot more as time goes by..

F

FastForward

Rookery just aruond the corner, Betty Boop. Ill find uot more as time goes by..

The one next to the Bulldog and Doors by the bridge at Harlemerstraat??! All 3 of those going??

And DH - even though modern .nl isn't the same as it used to be, it's still WAY WAY more open minded, liberal and progressive that the rest of the world. But I hear ya...the decline sucks...

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

The one next to the Bulldog and Doors by the bridge at Harlemerstraat??! All 3 of those going??

And DH - even though modern .nl isn't the same as it used to be, it's still WAY WAY more open minded, liberal and progressive that the rest of the world. But I hear ya...the decline sucks...

yeah I supose your right.. But it still pisses me off:swear:mooning:head

S

Stackin Paper

I remember the 1st time i went 70 gilder was like £20 if i remember rightly, the euro certainly fucked things up over there, i've been 5 times since its been the euro and everything just seemed well expensive compared to even at home.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

WOW! I am totally shocked by this. I have been seeing that the Dutch government has been moving farther right, but this is extreme. I unfortunately have never been able to get over to the 'Dam, but with this kind of attitude from their government I may as well stay in the states.

It really seemed as though the high school principal was the most reasonable about it. Why don't the people at the meeting listen to her?

Why do I have the strange feeling like the one student they interviewed was a bit of a goodie goodie?

meangreenmartian

meangreenmartian

Such a sad day, Rokerij always has quality and Betty Boop was a long time favorite of mine...cant imagine not getting their blueberry any more

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

I dont know about you guys but BullDog always sold swag weed so its no big deal.

S

Stackin Paper

I dont know about you guys but BullDog always sold swag weed so its no big deal.

True true, Grasshopper the same, just a tourist haven cos thats the main coffeeshops they heard of cos they're a chain.

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

True true, Grasshopper the same, just a tourist haven cos thats the main coffeeshops they heard of cos they're a chain.

I must admist GrassHopper is a nice coffeeshop to chill in but never buy the shit weed they sell for bogus prices, im sure they sell grit weed aswell lol

T

thc4sim

Grit weed and an 8 euro pint :beer!! they have taken the piss for years..

see ya in the morning hoover :rock

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

Grit weed and an 8 euro pint :beer!! they have taken the piss for years..

see ya in the morning hoover :rock

Yep see you in the morning at Breakfast at Barneys if there is any room lol i will be the asian guy with spikey mohog style hair lol

D

drpressure600

why the doors . .

why is the doors closing, thats not such a bad place, it's farly well know over there too . .

R

Resinator

Aren't there like over a dozen bulldog coffee shops in the Dam? Are they all closing or just the one close to the school

Top Bottom