An auto flower breeders here?

• Thread starter Trustfall
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Anyone know how to make auto versions of a regular photoperiod plants?
Trying to learn the process any help is appreciated.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Autoflowering strains are created by crossbreeding indica or sativa plants with ruderalis. Ruderalis is a wild subtype of cannabis that grows in regions where the summer is very short but features many hours of daylight (e.g. Northern Europe or Siberia).

Autoflower genes are recessive so it could take a lot of backcrossing to stabilize.

Last edited:
Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Anyone know how to make auto versions of a regular photoperiod plants?
Trying to learn the process any help is appreciated.

Pretty sure @Poekie has done this
Mendel's law...

Cross your photo with an auto (mine started about 10 years ago with regular auto Lowryder but now there's much better auto genetics to start with), grow the offspring and select the ones that have auto traits, cross those and repeat last step.

You're gonna need a regular auto to cross your photo with.
I have about 50 left from a regular Mephisto cross, you can have half of those.

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Mendel's law...

Cross your photo with an auto (mine started about 10 years ago with regular auto Lowryder but now there's much better auto genetics to start with), grow the offspring and select the ones that have auto traits, cross those and repeat last step.

All my autos in the greenhouse got demonolished by spider mites, except 1 of you pins, it was completely untouched. Wish i had found a way to breed with it. Talk about a fantastic trait

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
All my autos in the greenhouse got demonolished by spider mites, except 1 of you pins, it was completely untouched. Wish i had found a way to breed with it. Talk about a fantastic trait
Yeah in a greenhouse plagues can spread quick...and spider mites are probably the worst of plagues.
Which one was untouched ?

I'm having my yearly battle with caterpillars here, but at least with BT i get rid of most, dont want to use chemicals.

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Pina, i had 2 of them, this one was smaller but untouched by mites. Everything else was covered in webs

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Pina, i had 2 of them, this one was smaller but untouched by mites. Everything else was covered in webs
Ahh too bad, havent got those genetics anymore.
Only continued crossing the most potent and productive autos and had to drop quite a few as i had more than 20 auto varieties.
Great to hear though about the Piña !!

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Mendel's law...

Hey buddy thank you for your time. So what is your Mephisto cross and I was wondering if they are good for outdoor runs? My work wants autos for outdoor distillate, so main wants are autos that handle stress the best, flavor doesn’t matter, frost production is good and size is also what we want.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Hey buddy thank you for your time. So what is your Mephisto cross and I was wondering if they are good for outdoor runs? My work wants autos for outdoor distillate, so main wants are autos that handle stress the best, flavor doesn’t matter, frost production is good and size is also what we want.
Made some regular Sour60 crossed with itself.
They were pretty quick to finish so didnt get very big, for the rest they did really well outside.

I think i also pollinated another variety with the same Sour60 but gotta check which one, will let you know.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Also pest resistant is a big plus, planning on using a massive ak47 feom 25 years ago as my photoperiod strain.
Good idea to use a vigorous sativa leaning plant, that way you may get big autos as well.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
The other regular auto i got is Grizzly Crinkle x Sour60.
Can sent you some of both.

Gtglicky3

Gtglicky3

Here’s a good guide I found that I found when I was trying to figure it out. Or find true Ruderalis seeds and start the process. From what I have been told and from my own experience I’m going on my 4th round an only had 3 of 20 show Autoflower traits. Photo x Auto cross twice and a back cross

Last edited:
I

iloveautos

@Trustfall

There's a few ways to do this.

1) Cross Photo x Auto F1. 25% of those seeds will be autos, then you cross again with autos, then again up to F4 which all seeds should be autos (quick way) but doing this will essentially lead to having the original auto that you used,

2) Cross desired photo with desired auto (F1) grow offspring, find specific traits and make a clone once you find your desired parent from the F1 line, stabilize the traits, then start crossing with Auto, I won't introduce auto parent again until minimum F3. It takes year to get a good strain.

Essentially the goal is to have all the desired traits of the photo in an auto form.

I'm new to the site and have a few strains myself I wouldn't mind sending you to check out, mods apologizes if this is not allowed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom