An Interesting read for all you coco gorwers

• Thread starter HypnoToad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HypnoToad

Penned by the author of the book: Integral Hydroponics (never read, but intend to). What really caught me was the formula for prepping untreated bricks of coco coir. Maybe this will help someone out there.

Peace,
HT

E

easypleasie

That was a really good read! I've read some of the things mentioned in the article here at the farm. Looks like others have come across it before. Even using the same terminology :)

Thanks for posting, HT!

H

HypnoToad

I definitely want to get that book, and try a coco grow. What would be cool is if they had slabs of coco that worked like slabs or rockwool or STG.

Peace,
HT

E

easypleasie

They make coco slabs! You're really gonna love coco, bro. Shit is pretty amazing! You can run it so many different ways.

H

HypnoToad

Do they make them to the same dimension as the slabs? You know, the 6" or 8" x 3" to 4" x 36" or more? I thought they were thinner. I have used coco. for my organic garden, but now I know that I didn't flush it well enough by far. Also, it was a giant brick. My success with it was variable, but it was outdoors with waaaay too many other factors that I didn't control very well, so I'm looking forward to going at it again, but this time for some quality smoke.

Peace,
HT

L

Lost

In my limited and uneducated opinion, I think coco kicks ass so hard over hydroton its not even funny... :)

H

HypnoToad

it seems that run to waste with Coco coir is a cult favorite among more than a few growers.

T

theghostinthema

I'm glad you enjoyed the read. I penned the first edition of the book in 2002 and have noticed the rise in popularity in coco growing since. In Australia it is possibly the most widely used medium. Great substrate - I highly recommend it. I'll be releasing a book very shortly on nutrient and additive production for the indoor grower with over 40 formulas for grow, bloom and coco nutrients and various additives (sorry if that seems like spam but I think you will find this information very important when it comes to product choices). I'll try to post some new information shortly on soil fertigation growing but am currently on the road in Asia and using net cafes (so don't want to risk uploading viruses to the site) Go well....Glow...

H

HypnoToad

Damn,

Thanks for the post, but how depressing! This stuff sounds like a bitch to use. I'll probably try it anyway.

HT

J

jaybird

i've been using co-co since the beginning...drains well and a nice organic soil medium...i've bought 40lb slabs of it out here...some places make it in hawaii...others out here import it from india...aloha ...be safe...Gro-On
jaybird

0sWizZle

Coco is so easy to use....anyone can do it with str8 ease.....dont buy dry bricks of coco...that shit is a hassle and waste of time....the best brand of coco is Bcuzz then Canna.... feed your plants 1100-1300 of floranova bloom and your choice of kelp extract....feed to waste.......feed....water...feed...water....etc...do this everyday....one day feed,,,,next day plain of ol RO water..... it's the easiest method in the world ...u dont need coco specific nutes...those are gimmicks..u dont need any of that bullshit...100% pure coco nothing else....u can grow any size plant with this method...i've been using coco for 3 years now and i have got this shit down..if anyone is actually interested in learning all of this from a scientific perspective then please try reading up Gojo's posts on CW...his posts will blow your mind away...find one person on the internet that knows more about growing than this man...

purpleberry

purpleberry

I started with coco for 2 years and went to soil, and now im going back to coco, its easyer. lol I always use canna coco and nutes, in 2-5 gallon pots ,water, feed, water every other time and I let mine dry out like soil, so they get feed about 1 time a week and water 1 time. I use to add perilite but i think it hold so much air Im now running straight coco. With canna if you run RO water you shouldnt even need to check PH, its always good after i mix.

Aligee

Aligee

I too use coco for a few years and I must say I won't even consider using soil again just no real comparison I prefer black gold coco no complaints of this product use from germing seeds to flowering trees !!! currently using with AN and tap aqua great results aliG**

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Excellent link... I'm considering coco, but when you guys say alternate the water and feed cycles, do you run two separate reservoirs with pumps and airstones... One with R/O and one with the nute mix? I can't imagine hand watering every day...

Also, is it correct to assume larger amounts of CalMag are being used with Coco and R/O compared to soil? :thinking

L

lurch

depending on grade of coco you use you can water every 2-3 days, drain to waste.

B

billybadazz

Excellent link... I'm considering coco, but when you guys say alternate the water and feed cycles, do you run two separate reservoirs with pumps and airstones... One with R/O and one with the nute mix? I can't imagine hand watering every day...

Also, is it correct to assume larger amounts of CalMag are being used with Coco and R/O compared to soil? :thinking

it's pretty easy to hand water everyday but if you wanted to set up 2 rez and put a digitaltimer on 2 pumps and program it to feed 3 days and RO for the other 4 days (feed every otherday of course) and hook Up either top feed or other drippers to each pot or whatever. just a thought. recently made the switch to coco I use cal mag at half dose every 2 weeks plants are vigorous so it def doesn't hurt (10 gal pot, CNS 17 nutes, cal mag, roots organic coco) I am definetly pleased with results. planted 3, 2 in dirt one in coco and the coco one is over 3 feet at a lil over a month(33 days i think) and the dirt ones 17 inches (same strain) and did I mention I took over 20 clones off the coco one! can't even tell either. so I'm pretty sure bye bye dirt. like I told a old man once "they put people in fuckin space your tellin me they can't figure out a more productive way to grow a goddamn weed?! that old man is still convinced that there's no other way than soil. some people will never get it.

Top Bottom