And so it begins, sealed grow room project

• Thread starter Dummy buds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dummy buds

Dummy buds

A little bit more, first water change, im so far impressed with advanced nutrients perfect ph line. It drifts between 5.8-5.9, im feeding 120-160 ppm, and it seems to be liking it. I keep asking myself why it took me so long to try DWC. I use to think it was incredibly difficult.
20230218 211512

KnuckleHead

KnuckleHead

A little bit more, first water change, im so far impressed with advanced nutrients perfect ph line. It drifts between 5.8-5.9, im feeding 120-160 ppm, and it seems to be liking it. I keep asking myself why it took me so long to try DWC. I use to think it was incredibly difficult.View attachment 1332564
I've got about 10 dwc grows under my belt. I'm old and just started growing a few years ago after trying it 20 years ago in dirt. While I respect the folks that grow in soil, I find dwc to be not only simple, but very clean. 20 years ago every grow in dirt was a constant battle against gnats and spider mites.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

I've got about 10 dwc grows under my belt. I'm old and just started growing a few years ago after trying it 20 years ago in dirt. While I respect the folks that grow in soil, I find dwc to be not only simple, but very clean. 20 years ago every grow in dirt was a constant battle against gnats and spider mites.

I use to bake my soil before planting anything because of those little bastards, never again will I use soil

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Looking good .you.might want to use insulated ducting for the ac out put line it gets warm.
I doubt whatever heat the duct is generating will make much of a difference. Insulated duct, IMO, is overkill. I would invest the difference in price in a duct silencer so that the duct noise isn't so prominent especially when the fan is blowing on full.

S

Stonemason7767

I doubt whatever heat the duct is generating will make much of a difference. Insulated duct, IMO, is overkill. I would invest the difference in price in a duct silencer so that the duct noise isn't so prominent especially when the fan is blowing on full.
It helped out alot in my little room.my line is about twice as long though.one of things I went back an changed.

S

Stonemason7767

Not doubting you but if your outlet ducting is getting hot enough to heat the room then how hot is your room getting?
The hose would get about 100 to 130 on a digital laser thermostat .if I had the room at 65 it would condensate bad on the outside of the line. It Helped it run less and more efficiently.

Last edited:
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

The hose would get about 100 to 130 on a digital laser thermostat .if I had the room at 65 it would condensate bad on the outside of the line. It Helped it run less and more efficiently.
How big is your room to generate that much heat?

S

Stonemason7767

It was small a 10 × 8 shed.swiched over from high pressure sodiums to led and put in a mini split ac .lol talk about over kill.cut my electric in half. We sold the property since then.i miss my little shed.

20220719 204743
KnuckleHead

KnuckleHead

I had that problem, the hose was definitely too hot. For a while I insulated it, then after a couple grows I found out those portable air conditioners should not have the exhaust restricted by anything or it over works the compressor. So I took the carbon filter off and after a few days my nieghbor asked me if I was growing weed. He could smell it in his house even though my grow room is at least 150 feet away. Unrestricted the hose was actually cool. But the smell wouldn't do. My fix was to get a huge carbon filter that had enough air volume to restrict the airflow much less. It works well.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
As a fairly recent/new homeowner, but born and raised in New York City......I now find myself excited going to Lowe's. ;). Nice work. I'm still getting the final work on my basement closet to get things on point. I grew many years ago but have a long gap, so I'm getting up to speed and working the rust off. Besides the LED revolution, there are some cool little gadgets and stuff that make things more convenient. You're certainly more mechanically proficient than I am, there are more things that are (so far) out of my wheelhouse.....if I had to cut beams and put up drywall it would probably look like abstract art.... ;). One thing I won't tackle is anything electrical. Two things, electrical, and plumbing.

I know you mentioned a/c, I don't know if I saw but do you have any natural air flow, exhaust..? It looks like your closet is part of a regular room that you use? If so of course you want to keep light out (or really, darkness in) so sealing it up for that is important. I'll try to read more of the thread but wondering what you're doing air-flow wise.

And hi.... :)

Scotty420

Scotty420

If you're ducting in outside air to your condesnser the air can get that hot, it's generally going to be about 20-30 degrees above incoming so if it's 100 outside you can put out 130 degree air. You should be able to pull in room air & if you're keeping it in the 60's it shouldn't be that hot going out.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

@Harpua88 so the room is completely sealed. Air doesn't even escape, well maybe a tiny amount, but nothing to worry about. I will be using c02, that's why I chose to seal it up, which is why I chose the portable Ac that has dual hoses, it is completely sealed off, so there is no smell at all outside of the room. It's a pretty cool room, I have 20 years of growing, and building grow rooms of all sorts.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

I thought about the hot side of the AC, the room is only like 25sqft, the AC is for a 700 sqft room, and the light im using I can remove the power supply, so it's not very hot in the room, when the ac kicks on it runs for about 2 minutes and then it turns off for 30+ minutes. And sits between 72-75°

Scotty420

Scotty420

They don't make AC units small enough to reasonably cool a 25 square ft area. So there's not much need to worry about the heat from ballasts etc. if you have an AC for your room/tent. The only real drawback to the oversizing is lack of humidity control, which usually isn't a huge issue in a grow room. Worst case scenario if you run a heater at the same time as your AC it's basically a dehumidifier, granted a very inefficient one.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

They don't make AC units small enough to reasonably cool a 25 square ft area. So there's not much need to worry about the heat from ballasts etc. if you have an AC for your room/tent. The only real drawback to the oversizing is lack of humidity control, which usually isn't a huge issue in a grow room. Worst case scenario if you run a heater at the same time as your AC it's basically a dehumidifier, granted a very inefficient one.

Surprisingly it sits around 50-60% with a vpd of 1.3-1.5%

Top Bottom