And so it begins, sealed grow room project

• Thread starter Dummy buds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dummy buds

Dummy buds

It’s possible but I have two different whynter dual splits to test and it’s a common issue if you search around. Some people crack them open and seal off the areas that leak. I did something similar.

Throw something realllllly stinky in your room and stand near the exhaust port.

When you did your test did you have the lights on full blast and a Dehum running?That should generate some heat. Make sure you’re not skewing your results by standing in the room generating C02. My AC doesn’t really get a workout until I’m in flowering.
I did have the lights on, no dehumidifier, my room floats 50-65%, im gonna so a smoke test because I'm curious now lol. I have a smoke machine for automotive repair, the smoke is harmless, im gonna try it. I love conducting experiments!!

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

I defoliated 2 days ago, its already bushed back up
20230318 181130

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I hate to say this but that AC is not nearly as sealed as it appears. It will leak air through the body like no other. Once you run your CO2 you will see this.

I’m running a dual split whynter AC as well. I hate it. Before I modified my AC the C02 only lasted a week if that. I was able to get the C02 to last for 2-3 weeks before it ran out once I sealed it up more. My room is less than 30sqft.

Look at the back of you AC unit. There is a filter, this filter pulled air over it. All your precious CO2 and odor literally out the window.
Is your dual split Whynter A/C a mini split system or is this a variation?

P

PahPahCee

I have two different models arc 14s and the arc 122ds. They’re just freestanding portable AC’s. They’re better than most portables but I wouldn’t put them in the same category as a mini split. My cheap window banger seems better.

I have experimented with a lot of cheap AC’s. I live near the coast so no central air or AC in houses around here.

technics702

technics702

I have a Whynter 14s that I use during dry/cure. That thing keeps the temps at 61F solid all day long. The only problem I had was using their mount which has both the intake and exhaust right next to each other. I removed the intake and just had it pulling intake air from the room and exhaust out the window. Once I did that it ran great. Best portable AC unit Ive used, and I live in the desert.

P

PahPahCee

I have a Whynter 14s that I use during dry/cure. That thing keeps the temps at 61F solid all day long. The only problem I had was using their mount which has both the intake and exhaust right next to each other. I removed the intake and just had it pulling intake air from the room and exhaust out the window. Once I did that it ran great. Best portable AC unit Ive used, and I live in the desert.
I’ve seen people use insulated venting for the exhaust hose to assist with temperature reduction. It’ll help with the exhaust radiating heat outward.

simonkay

simonkay

Looks like a really neat setup! How are you going to control the water temps? I'm getting into RDWC after struggling with water temps in single buckets. If you keep the room at the temps that the water needs to be it slowls growth afaik...

What are your plans for the CO2? Tanks or burner? I've researched tanks but it seems that even 20lb will not last very long. I love the idea but I'm bummed at how long a tank seems to last. Curious to see how your setup will unfold.
You have to get a water chiller IMO, i have done rdwc in uk wheres its cold but still had a water chiller connected to the system to maintain 18-19°C stops so many problems in the root zone. Without it my water always went up to 22° as the water pump motor will get warm making your water warm through the day causing bacteria and mold problems in the root zone.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

Yes, it actually brings in outside air in one line, to cool the condenser and the blows that air out another line, out side of the room. Absolutely no smell, or c02 loss

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

You have to get a water chiller IMO, i have done rdwc in uk wheres its cold but still had a water chiller connected to the system to maintain 18-19°C stops so many problems in the root zone. Without it my water always went up to 22° as the water pump motor will get warm making your water warm through the day causing bacteria and mold problems in the root zone.
My bucket stays around 70-73ish, I use beneficials and an enzyme call Z7, no bacteria problems at all, I've even grown peppers in black buckets on my patio, in 110° heat, and nothing, the secret is lots of air, good bacteria, and Z7. I swear by it.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

Today marks day 2 of flower, I had to dim the light a little to see if I can get this Afghani to stretch a little more. I'll bump it up in week 3
20230328 145126

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

I cut the mount and spread them apart for that exact reason

Top Bottom