Anhydrous EtOH Vs 95 Percent (190 Proof)

• Thread starter Eskander
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Eskander

Eskander

I wanted to see if you guys were having a meaningful difference in extraction using anhydrous ethanol over 95%. Going to dry isn't really a big deal with molecular sieves but if it isn't worth it then why add complexity right?

-Eskander

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I see no benefit at our scale. You will be introducing water via bud anyhow.

I cycle thru bottles of 95% and after a few times, measure % and if it drops much below 95% I just use that for cleaning.

Eskander

Eskander

Any reason not to just run it through the rotavap to bring it back to 95%? Or is it build up if things other than water building that are inseparable through distillation?

-Eskander

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Not worth the effort.

Also, you really want a distillation process to remove water, not a rotovap.

For me, Everclear is just a consumable like many others in the process. I suppose if you are trying to pinch pennies, you could convert labor and electricity into higher grade Eth, but if you are pinching pennies you probably don't have a rotovap in your bedroom. You might have a Source Turbo (which I have and it is now collecting dust - not a great product if you want control and thruput) but a rotovap us many thousands of dollars.

And does 99% EtOH give better product than 95%? Not for me. So why bother?

In my opinion, this is just a means to an end any my time is worth way more than a bottle of Everclear every now and then. Always in stock 5 minutes from home. No brainer.

Eskander

Eskander

Not worth the effort.

Also, you really want a distillation process to remove water, not a rotovap.

For me, Everclear is just a consumable like many others in the process. I suppose if you are trying to pinch pennies, you could convert labor and electricity into higher grade Eth, but if you are pinching pennies you probably don't have a rotovap in your bedroom. You might have a Source Turbo (which I have and it is now collecting dust - not a great product if you want control and thruput) but a rotovap us many thousands of dollars.

And does 99% EtOH give better product than 95%? Not for me. So why bother?

In my opinion, this is just a means to an end any my time is worth way more than a bottle of Everclear every now and then. Always in stock 5 minutes from home. No brainer.
Ah... I can't just buy it in my state and I'm a hundred miles from a state line so conservation and recovery makes slightly more sense but in the end you are right. It is just isn't expensive enough of a reagent. Oddly, because Everclear isn't sold in my state, 200 proof from a lab supply seems to be cheaper once shipping is accounted for. Granted it will only be 100% once.

Eskander

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Wait you are the Walter White of better consumption of daiquiris via science and booze isn’t even legal there? Livin on the edge there brother.

Since you are buying online and understand the chemical drawbacks to this it might be a good option for someone buying online.

https://710spirits.com/

Moshmen

Moshmen

Wait you are the Walter White of better consumption of daiquiris via science and booze isn’t even legal there? Livin on the edge there brother.

Since you are buying online and understand the chemical drawbacks to this it might be a good option for someone buying online.

Depending what state your in , I’m in Florida and can only buy 151 everclear - the land of drinking you can buy a cold beer on ice at the gas station register but 190 proof anything ☹️

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Well I quit drinking a while ago but I’m glad the libertarians running the show here make it easy on me. Never thought local access to EtOH could be a problem for some people

Eskander

Eskander

Booze is legal here but 151 is the limit here as well. We have some screwy blue laws here...

This is the daiquiri recipe for those that are not teetotaling:

Personally I think carbonated clarified peach juice and tequila are a better cocktail but that is also a different class of things. Doable without the centrifuge but that is more or less what I got it for.

-Eskander

Moshmen

Moshmen

Well I quit drinking a while ago but I’m glad the libertarians running the show here make it easy on me. Never thought local access to EtOH could be a problem for some people
I don’t drink either , originally from Michigan where no trouble there any redneck can get it!
I can get moonshine here sometimes but very few test alcohol content.
Best I can do here is 99% iso - I’ve done the quick wash thing - probably not right but I tried then you gotta thin it ?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I don’t drink either , originally from Michigan where no trouble there any redneck can get it!
I can get moonshine here sometimes but very few test alcohol content.
Best I can do here is 99% iso - I’ve done the quick wash thing - probably not right but I tried then you gotta thin it ?
Whoa man, did you say Isopropyl? You definitely want EtOH - Ethanol.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Whoa man, did you say Isopropyl? You definitely want EtOH - Ethanol.
So theres my first mistake! Got thing I thru that in the trash huh! Thanx can’t remember who’s thread I took direction from ? It was a while ago and I’ve just sorta put that on the back burner- you guys got me very interested again thanx

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Pressing and Rotovaping today. I’ll show you the howto details when I am done.
303D5F2E 3629 457E B23A 264D28770B94
42491BAC 9835 4550 8F50 661660EDB576
D6173750 D05A 4A75 A82C 2D83A54C9B64

Eskander

Eskander

Looking good. I look forward to seeing your process. Is the pressing and rotavaping parts of the same process or parallel paths?

-Eskander

Moshmen

Moshmen

Nice set up so you start with say 16 g’s of material in each bag , what micron? , I’m in a smaller scale and don’t use bags most of the time . 2 minutes at 210?
Looks like ur gonna be busy a minute or two ! Have fun and thanx for sharing

Top Bottom