Announcing RSO 2.0 - An 20 Year Update to a Classic Recipe

• Thread starter mimiemu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mimiemu

mimiemu

I'd like to announce the public launch of a personal project called “RSO 2.0”, an update to the 20 year old Rick Simpson Oil (RSO) extraction process. For the past two years being sequestered at home by the pandemic, I've worked on making cleaner RSO. What has come of it, is a radical, cost effective, approach to safely creating cleaner oil at home using only kitchen utensils. For all the progress that’s been made in the extraction field in the past 20 years, RSO has been left behind. Here's whats new:

1.Introducing a one hour Room Temperature Winterization.
2.Exploiting Isopropyl’s Super Power.
3.Distilling in Brine water to cleanse and protect the oils.
4.Lower temperature extractions to save CBDA/THCA. Important for today if
the acidic state can impede flu from entering cells.

This is a free process to anyone wanting cleaner oil, nothing for sale.

Oh, I would love to hear feedback Please critique for any typo's, ambiguities or scientific inaccuracies. Let me know your thoughts!

…MimiEMU

Last edited by a moderator:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Staff
Supporter
Hi MimiEMU,

Welcome to the forum. Interesting topic.

It would be far better to post the content you want to show here rather than a link to your website. Need help editing that post?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Staff
Supporter
Interesting write up. I'll read more carefully when I get a few minutes.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Supporter
Fascinating information. I very much would like to give this method a try!

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Take a look at this. Its the process written for distribution as a .PDF. This might do. The home page is significant because it has instructional videos. I cant visualize how to recreate that here. Your thoughts? (here's the pdf..)
Interesting. I didn't see a link to your site with more info, so that would be handy to point out where I missed it.

I've made RSO for some time, before my wife died of pancreatic cancer. It was also before RSO could be found easily in dispensaries. By the way, I calculated the overall cost to be about the same ($70/gram) when I made it myself versus buying in dispensaries in early days of legalization here in AZ.

Some comments and questions follow.

First, some commenting on my procedure. I used a Magical Butter machine, up to 3 ounces of (expensive! up to $400/oz) buds PLUS some leftover vape residue to try to minimize cost. For a solvent, I used Everclear. My process was like this:
1. Dump buds, shake and some vape residue into a Magical Butter machine along with 5 cups of Everclear. Set to the tincture setting, which if I recall correctly cooks for 4 hours at 160F. Grinds the buds as well.
2. Pour green tincture through series of finer mesh filters to try to filter out as much green stuff as possible. Same with butter or oil by the way, but I think I have less loss with tincture.
-note: pouring tincture into a tall container and waiting for a day allows a lot of particulate matter to sink to the bottom, allowing pour-off of cleaner tincture. (Works for oil too.)
3. Pour tincture into a mason jar
4. Put mason jar into rice cooker set to cook for maximum time (2 hours). Mason jar doesn't fit, so can't close the lid, but want the lid open anyway. Water boils, heats Everclear, tincture starts bubbling and alcohol gradually evaporates over the course of 4-6 hours. I do this in the garage because of fumes.

-result: thick black tar-like oil at the bottom of the mason jar. I get approximately 1:7 ratio of oil to bud. 7 grams of bud in gives 1 gram of oil out.

Because the oil is so thick, at this point I had cut it 50% with Wesson oil. That got the oil fluid enough to draw up into a big syringe (originally designed to refill ink cartridges on a printer).

Because the oil is so black (vape residue in part, incomplete filtering) it was nasty to eat. So my wife suggested putting it into gelcaps from the local health foods store. So that's what I ended up doing. I drilled a bunch of holes in a piece of wood to hold the gelcap bottoms. I used the syringe to carefully put drops into each gelcap, then put the cap on the gelcap and threw it into a plastic bag labeled with the number of drops I put in the gelcap (measure of potency) and the date of the extraction.

This way my wife didn't have to taste the gunk. She just ate the capsule and had it kick in about 2 hours later. By making several strengths of pills (3 drops, 5 drops, 7 drops, etc.) she could vary the dosage by combining multiple capsules once she determined the strength of that batch.

Compared to your method, I see advantages and disadvantages. I wonder if you could comment on the use of a Magical Butter machine to kick off the process? And perhaps the use of a simple rice cooker to boil off the alcohol. I wouldn't want to boil the alcohol on my stove, partly because it is a gas stove, but also because it is indoors. The rice cooker can be plugged in anywhere - back porch perhaps - and it really keeps the smell down to move that outside. Magical Butter machine too.

My biggest issue with this, beyond the hassle of getting drops into gelcaps, was the filtering aspect of this. I sort of gave up hoping for an extremely clean output when I went to gelcaps. But I'd love to know how to do better, and the brine step seems interesting there.

Eskander

Eskander

Nice write up. One suggestion for a modification is this:

You can decarb with no smell and no loss of volatiles using common kitchen gear. It is also very easy to get perfect and consistent results every time.

-eskander

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

I take about 3/4 of a gram of RSO a day. I highly suggest investing in a source turbo and watching their videos. They have some videos on how to extract clean oil with everclear. My oil is not black/green. It is golden. You can smoke it if you want.

Eskander

Eskander

I take about 3/4 of a gram of RSO a day. I highly suggest investing in a source turbo and watching their videos. They have some videos on how to extract clean oil with everclear. My oil is not black/green. It is golden. You can smoke it if you want.
For the price of those you can buy a Chinese rotovap which is far better. Harder to run I guess but a little practice goes a long way.

I'm not sure at what point an extract become RSO rather than QWET or QWISO. I think any of those extractions that come out looking shitty are called RSO lol...

-Eskander

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

For the price of those you can buy a Chinese rotovap which is far better. Harder to run I guess but a little practice goes a long way.

I'm not sure at what point an extract become RSO rather than QWET or QWISO. I think any of those extractions that come out looking shitty are called RSO lol...

-Eskander
Yeah I’m a simple man and those rotovaps look complicated. I would rather just press a button lol.

Skeggox

Skeggox

I have a question regarding mine. Ran 21g in everclear for a tincture I normally evaporate to 1 oz. Fell asleep and all the alcohol evaporated. I let my tinctures set 1 week so the left over os dark. This is rso or did i fuck 21 grams up lol

C

cronicoldguy

-Eskander
Yes, a rotovap can be found relatively cheap. I just ordered a POS rotovap ($351CAD) from Walmart via 3rd party Chinese seller. But you need more than just the rotovap unit. That is where the expense begins to climb. Trust me, I am in the process of piecing an operational unit together. Ask Moe what he has into his. I bet 4k or more.

The Source Turbo for what it is, is an outstanding piece of hardware. It is basically a turn-key unit. Nothing more required other than solvent, material to process, and your time. Yes, small batches. But that is who the unit is geared towards. A person processing an ounce or 2 at a time. Larger batches are easy, just take longer to distill. Refill the crucible with solution between cycles.

I have a question regarding mine. Ran 21g in everclear for a tincture I normally evaporate to 1 oz. Fell asleep and all the alcohol evaporated. I let my tinctures set 1 week so the left over os dark. This is rso or did i fuck 21 grams up lol
If it was evaporating at room temp, should be no prob at all. If using heat, and not monitoring the temp, it could have gotten too hot, essentially killing the cannabinoids. Vape some. That will tell you.

Also, if bent on keeping it a tincture, should be no issue putting it back to solution and reducing again.

I have taken batches of RSO that I didnt filter very well. I have put it back into solution, winterized, filtered, and re-distilled with no noticeable degradation in potency.

A question I have.
When winterizing and filtering, most of us here now know that this removes, lipids and undesirables. But in some cases, are there health benefits of leaving these in? Is there any medicinal value in what I would normally throw away?

EDIT: Forgot to add this: Is there any medicinal or any other use for the left over processed flower? Or is it complete garbage?

Last edited:
G

Godfish

Looks like this guide is dead? most of the links are 404 and no new posting on this, I find this good info that needs to be refined and updated, for clarity and correction. So many people have the info and it's not getting put in a simple compressive guide?, this PDF is very close but has some contradictions and double steps? I may in the future refine the steps for clarity because I feel us new to this just need the DIY How to with-out all this distracting facts to get lost in.

For example the guide says to decarb at the start then at the end also? I'm not sure if its necessary to do it at the end also or just first, Sorry but lots of people like me "i.e not very smart" who want to/need to follow a guide just need it a little clearer.

Thank you for your time and knowledge, you guys are so smart! and can help us lesser humans that just need this process for the medicine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom