Another newbie growing her own

• Thread starter Katt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Katt

Katt

Hey there everone, glad to be here!

I’m a newbie grower with 20 or so plants One will be ready to switch to blood soon. I’m using a compost, coir, pearlite and vermiculite mix. This is my first grow and I’ve learned a lot but still have a lit to learn!

Setup basics- Hand watering (for now) in plastic pots, LED, one 3x3x5 tent connected to a 6x8x7 tent.

I’ve dealt with fungus gnats and mites successfully (?) on prior occasions. At the moment I am trying to avoid potential disaster... I transplanted 8-10 plants last week and now I seem to have every weed pest out there! A small amount of unsterilized compost was mixed with my medium.... now I have fungus gnats, white flies, mites, a small black beetle and probably other critters.

I’m going to start with peroxide and go from there, hoping to save my medical crop! Any advice or warnings are welcome!

Katt

Moshmen

Moshmen

I’m a newbie grower with 20 or so plants One will be ready to switch to blood soon. I’m using a compost, coir, pearlite and vermiculite mix. This is my first grow and I’ve learned a lot but still have a lit to learn!

Setup basics- Hand watering (for now) in plastic pots, LED, one 3x3x5 tent connected to a 6x8x7 tent.

I’ve dealt with fungus gnats and mites successfully (?) on prior occasions. At the moment I am trying to avoid potential disaster... I transplanted 8-10 plants last week and now I seem to have every weed pest out there! A small amount of unsterilized compost was mixed with my medium.... now I have fungus gnats, white flies, mites, a small black beetle and probably other critters.

I’m going to start with peroxide and go from there, hoping to save my medical crop! Any advice or warnings are welcome!

Katt
Welcome I’m new too, and someone Else hopefully will stop by with the answers , I’ve been fortunate and only had minor pest infestations

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter

Katt
I would start with the spider mites first.
Treating the spider mites will get rid of all soft bellied bugs and there eggs.
I would rotate your treatments for each systematically as to not put your plants in shock.
Green cleaner and and plant therapy are 2 really good products that can be used up to the day of harvest.
Rotation is a must as to not allow the mites to build up a resistance to the treatment. Rotation if done properly requires spraying ever 3 days for 3 weeks. Then spray 1 time a week every week for maintenance.

You can also make a habenaro spray the mites can not become Amun to.
All natural treatments are the best.

Remember to also do a amendment drench to treat the soil.
Good luck:)

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

For the fungus gnats I use fungus gnat nematodes.the can be bought online and are fairly cheap but very effective.give the pots a dose then again 2/3 weeks later to make sure.i also use the sticky white traps for the fliers.once that's done I let the medium dry out a good bit between watering as it controls the fg and the roots love a just slightly moist medium as the oxygen in the medium is higher than it is when the mediums wet and the roots thrive in such conditions.
I can't give advice on the other pests as I'v only ever had fg which I thinks pretty damn good for the amount of time I'v been growing .
Good luck with your grow.

Katt

Katt

I would rotate your treatments for each systematically as to not put your plants in shock.
Green cleaner and and plant therapy are 2 really good products that can be used up to the day of harvest.
Rotation is a must as to not allow the mites to build up a resistance to the treatment. Rotation if done properly requires spraying ever 3 days for 3 weeks. Then spray 1 time a week every week for maintenance.

Thanks

Katt

Katt

Thanks for the info! I’m not familiar with those two products so I will have to look them up. The mites are what I want to start with And I understand the principal of repeated, rotating treatments. I’ve also come across the garlic hot pepper spray which I can certainly make and try. So the pepper spray does not induce resistance…? So I can continue to use that same product without rotating?

Katt

Katt

Also, what is an amendment drench? Is that something like dipping the pot in Neem oil or peroxide?

Katt

Katt

Hay katt ,You can also research predatory nematodes , depending what critters you are targeting..
I definitely want to go to the predatory route. I was thinking mites and nematodes? It seems that not everyone has had great experience with ladybugs or lacewings. What about spiders? My house is full of them ( and earwigs, centipedes in the basement....and free! I know, not enough of them).

Question; if I use sprays, soaks or DE, do I have to wait to introduce the good pests? I would think yes.

Katt

Katt

For the fungus gnats I use fungus gnat nematodes.the can be bought online and are fairly cheap but very effective.give the pots a dose then again 2/3 weeks later to make sure.i also use the sticky white traps for the fliers.once that's done I let the medium dry out a good bit between watering as it controls the fg and the roots love a just slightly moist medium as the oxygen in the medium is higher than it is when the mediums wet and the roots thrive in such conditions.
I can't give advice on the other pests as I'v only ever had fg which I thinks pretty damn good for the amount of time I'v been growing .
Good luck with your grow.
I think I am going to go with the IPM route until I get things under control. I have blue and yellow sticky cards that are getting covered with bugs. The humidity is very low at 34%. I try to be certain there’s no standing water under pots Or anywhere else

Katt

Katt

my two cents = Diatomaceous Earth

great 1st step in soil IPM. I use it in all soil mixes to varying degrees.

helps control bugs, excellent source of silicon
Thanks! I did incorporate a lot of DE in my substrate along with B.t. Thought I was doing an OK job at prevention, but shit happens!

I would be curious about others opinions on something… What if I turned off the in-line fan and left the air circulating fans running then sprinkled DEA and BT in front of the fan and let it circulate around in the tent. Would it be able to reach the top and underside of leaves? I did try spring DE in water but it pretty much just left a mess stuck on my leaves and shutting out light!

Latest posts

Top Bottom