Another Newbie Question For Ya

• Thread starter Marlie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Marlie

Marlie

If I use one gallon fabric pots, should I germinate and start them in red solos or just plant in the pots from jump?

P

Purfict

If I use one gallon fabric pots, should I germinate and start them in red solos or just plant in the pots from jump?
Up to you, I started my first seedlings in solo cups and just started my second batch right in 1 gallon fabric pots. Not sure if I was able to get more control of watering or it was better, but I’d say the 1 gallon pot seedlings look 3x better than my solo cup ones. If you’re going with a lot of seeds, solo cup would be best to not waste soil.

Marlie

Marlie

Up to you, I started my first seedlings in solo cups and just started my second batch right in 1 gallon fabric pots. Not sure if I was able to get more control of watering or it was better, but I’d say the 1 gallon pot seedlings look 3x better than my solo cup ones. If you’re going with a lot of seeds, solo cup would be best to not waste soil.
Thanks - only four so I think I’ll go right into pots

Newty

Newty

I use solo cups but I grow in 3 gallon pots. Don't ask me why, I prefer the 3 gallon pots. I change my soil a little when I transplant and is one of the reasons I start in solo cups.

Fabric pots are good, it's what I started with and what I'm using in my newest tent setup.

Air pots I see are really popular, the ones I linked below are 2 gallon outside size but actual size is 1.4 gallons (available in bigger and smaller sizes as well). They would give you a little more room for growth over the 1 gallon size if you decide you ever want to get a different style or bigger pots in the future.

Asmodeus

Asmodeus

Its easier to control your watering in solos, but 1 gallon pots shouldn't be a problem. You'll still need to up pot at some point

Marlie

Marlie

I use solo cups but I grow in 3 gallon pots. Don't ask me why, I prefer the 3 gallon pots. I change my soil a little when I transplant and is one of the reasons I start in solo cups.

Fabric pots are good, it's what I started with and what I'm using in my newest tent setup.

Air pots I see are really popular, the ones I linked below are 2 gallon outside size but actual size is 1.4 gallons (available in bigger and smaller sizes as well). They would give you a little more room for growth over the 1 gallon size if you decide you ever want to get a different style or bigger pots in the future.

These look fancy! Never seen them before

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

i would go solo cup to the fabric pot it's so easy to over water a seedling .
you see in my pic how i have these seedling's in a green see through solo cup inside a red solo cup if you do that you can pull the green cup out and see your roots to know when you should transplant
IMG 20231217 172845487
IMG 20231217 172857845
IMG 20231217 172902339
IMG 20231217 172912848
IMG 20231217 172916637

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I'm not sure it matters. I've tried just about every way and they all work.

What I'm doing now is soaking seeds and then planting them into the first and last pot they'll ever grow in. I mostly use 5-gallon fabric pots. I make sure the soil is moist before I put it in the pot. The next time I start plants, I'm planning to fill small holes the size of a nursery cup with Light Warrior starting soil, and then start the seeds in it. Light Warrior is good for rooting and mycorrhiza.

TreeBee

TreeBee

I'm not sure it matters. I've tried just about every way and they all work.

What I'm doing now is soaking seeds and then planting them into the first and last pot they'll ever grow in. I mostly use 5-gallon fabric pots. I make sure the soil is moist before I put it in the pot. The next time I start plants, I'm planning to fill small holes the size of a nursery cup with Light Warrior starting soil, and then start the seeds in it. Light Warrior is good for rooting and mycorrhiza.
I was contemplating trying something very similar. Have you done this yet?

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

I start them in small pots equivalent to Solo cups because it's much easier to control the environment in a small pot than a larger one, and it's simple to transplant down the road.

Stokes

Stokes

I always start in solos or similar size

Are you in coco? 1 gal for soil seems kinda pointless depending on your goals. Yield in soil is directly proportional to pot size

Top Bottom