Another newbie question... how do I measure the actual PPM the plant is taking?

• Thread starter Toscano
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Toscano

Toscano

Hi everyone.

I have no problem balancing out ph levels to water my plants, I'm trying to understand the EC/PPM thing.
If I measure the water after introducing fertilizer, but before feeding it to the plants, the EC meter only tells me how that specific water is.

But how do I know how much fertilizer the plant is actually taking?
Do I keep adding a bit with every watering until I find the plants are getting dark green or something?

I thought about measuring a bit of the runoff that falls in the saucer, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

I will be growing photoperiodic White Widows.
What is the ideal EC for this species?

Thanks.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hi everyone.

I have no problem balancing out ph levels to water my plants, I'm trying to understand the EC/PPM thing.
If I measure the water after introducing fertilizer, but before feeding it to the plants, the EC meter only tells me how that specific water is.

But how do I know how much fertilizer the plant is actually taking?
Do I keep adding a bit with every watering until I find the plants are getting dark green or something?

I thought about measuring a bit of the runoff that falls in the saucer, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

I will be growing photoperiodic White Widows.
What is the ideal EC for this species?

Thanks.
I measure / test my run off water only. After I water or feed I suck up all of the water that runs through the plant and through it away. Then I wait for the plant to seep out more liquid..enough to use my probes in. ( 1/4 cup)..Then test that water with your tools and record the reading.. do that each time you water or feed to understand what is going on...as you feed more your ppm numbers will go up...in veg I'm around 300-600 ppm....in flower I'm 1000- 1200......other guys shoot to the moon in flower with 1800 ppm and higher...not me I don't know how they do it...I just burn them if I feed too heavy.......My numbers could be off prime others may come in to set you straight.

Test your water before you add anything..record it...and your first nute test record it, add your second nute record it ect...not that you'll need those numbers but it will give you an idea of what your nutes are doing to your feed/ water. you'll most likely need ph up...I do because adding nutes drops the soil ph and will contine to drop it with out adding some ph up to help balance the solution

Toscano

Toscano

I measure / test my run off water only. After I water or feed I suck up all of the water that runs through the plant and through it away. Then I wait for the plant to seep out more liquid..enough to use my probes in. ( 1/4 cup)..Then test that water with your tools and record the reading.. do that each time you water or feed to understand what is going on...as you feed more your ppm numbers will go up...in veg I'm around 300-600 ppm....in flower I'm 1000- 1200......other guys shoot to the moon in flower with 1800 ppm and higher...not me I don't know how they do it...I just burn them if I feed too heavy.......My numbers could be off prime others may come in to set you straight.

Test your water before you add anything..record it...and your first nute test record it, add your second nute record it ect...not that you'll need those numbers but it will give you an idea of what your nutes are doing to your feed/ water. you'll most likely need ph up...I do because adding nutes drops the soil ph and will contine to drop it with out adding some ph up to help balance the solution
Thanks!
So measuring the runoff is actually standard practice, that's good to know.

Just one (ignorant) question... when you mention "nutes", what's that exactly?
Is it solid fertilizer? I'm using liquid fertilizers...

TomH

TomH

I'm rapidly finding that the mantra, less is better, in the case of nutrients for cannabis to be absolutely correct.
Now I need to get better at capturing ^ that information after every feed, and recording it.
It seems so simple, but I've only done it on those occasions where I suspect things are getting "off".
I imagine watching those numbers with each watering/feeding would paint a much smoother picture of the nutrient buildup.

4plant

4plant

Feed ppm - runoff ppm = actual feed
In a large greenhouse they would check the ppm of every individual nutrient they put in and check what’s coming out, that way you could add back specific nutes and reuse the runoff.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'm rapidly finding that the mantra, less is better, in the case of nutrients for cannabis to be absolutely correct.
Now I need to get better at capturing ^ that information after every feed, and recording it.
It seems so simple, but I've only done it on those occasions where I suspect things are getting "off".
I imagine watching those numbers with each watering/feeding would paint a much smoother picture of the nutrient buildup.
I look back at my record before each water or feed...with more than 1 plant its hard to keep track. I have a desktop comp here in my room so I keep a word file on each plant on my desktop sub with sub files for veg room, seedlings, flower room, tent,...after a while of doing it I don't have to check where the plant is at, I know what me feed does and how much of what I need....its only if I see something going wrong I'll check the numbers more often I just record like

I didn't read the run off I'm at 10 weeks this Thursday

Flower room/ Gelato

Sept 1 water with ES......ph 6.2.....ppm 1153.........
Sept 5 Feed 5/5/10/1/2.5tsp M.(monster bloom) 4ml up....
Sept 8....Water with ES,,(Epsom salts.1/4 tsp/gal)
Sept 11... feed 5/5/10/1/2ml up....

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Thanks!
So measuring the runoff is actually standard practice, that's good to know.

Just one (ignorant) question... when you mention "nutes", what's that exactly?
Is it solid fertilizer? I'm using liquid fertilizers...
I'm using General Hydroponics 3 part flora system Liguid. and I've added another of their products over the past year+ Floralicious. My numbers correspond to Micro 5ml/Grow 5ml/Bloom 10 ml / Floralicious 1ml/ PH up 2 ml.....I grow in Promix or promix similar peat based mixes. Simple easy follow the feed charts/ keep the environment friendly ( to the plant ) a good light...and watch em grow.

Toscano

Toscano

I'm using General Hydroponics 3 part flora system Liguid. and I've added another of their products over the past year+ Floralicious. My numbers correspond to Micro 5ml/Grow 5ml/Bloom 10 ml / Floralicious 1ml/ PH up 2 ml.....I grow in Promix or promix similar peat based mixes. Simple easy follow the feed charts/ keep the environment friendly ( to the plant ) a good light...and watch em grow.
View attachment 1281084

Thanks.
This information will help.
I'll be using something from Novamax which bears similar names (Floranova Grow and Floranova Bloom).

Madmax

Madmax

In coco/perlite i make sure im at 500ppm after 5 weeks vegging and in flower i only get to bout 570ppm and thats it.using canna classic.i just write up on a white board ppm and ph everyday .i basically have a routine ,when i start and stop additives used through the grow..its like a template for next grows i can try things and tweak it ..

ninjadip

ninjadip

Thanks.
This information will help.
I'll be using something from Novamax which bears similar names (Floranova Grow and Floranova Bloom).
This might help. It appears Novamax is some kind of rebranding of GH... interesting, never knew that

ninjadip

ninjadip

One good tip for GH Floranova series is to use an agitator like a glass marble. That stuff is thick like molasses on the bottom of the container. Placing a marble or two inside then shaking vigorously will mix it up like how a spray paint can works.

Then after mixing with water, I use a silicone helix paint mixer on my drill to make sure it is mixed well, then measure ppm. From there you can add water to lower the ppm, or add more nutes to increase ppm.

I use the these nutes in DWC hydro, and I love it.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
One good tip for GH Floranova series is to use an agitator like a glass marble. That stuff is thick like molasses on the bottom of the container. Placing a marble or two inside then shaking vigorously will mix it up like how a spray paint can works.

I use the these nutes in DWC hydro, and I love it.
The only stuff that's thick is the Floralicious Plus that If found.....The Micro is a bit heavier and that's a good idea for that, I usually just giver a good shake before hand but I like the marble idea...Grow and Bloom are like water...

ninjadip

ninjadip

The only stuff that's thick is the Floralicious Plus that If found.....The Micro is a bit heavier and that's a good idea for that, I usually just giver a good shake before hand but I like the marble idea...Grow and Bloom are like water...
Those are much different than the floranova 2 part series. It is very thick.

Top Bottom