Another Noob grow. Mag 357 LED in use.

• Thread starter Medijuana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LEDhead

LEDhead

How's the Kessil working for you? I have 4 of them I'm going to flower with in my current grow scrog'n in practically the same setup, just no magnum

Medijuana

Medijuana

I can't say for sure how the Kessil is doing since I do have it running next to the 357Mag, and I do swap them back and forth every few days. All I can tell you is the girls seem pretty happy and I believe I'm able to cover more space with both then what I would with the Mag alone. I hadn't originally planned on using the Kessil, as it was being used for my tropical bonsai during the winter months. I was able to move the bonsai to a sun room now that the weather's warmer, so I wasn't just going to let the Kessil sit idle. I do think a single Kessil H350 would do well in a 2x2 space.

Medijuana

Medijuana

Day 42

Temp 76`F, 55% RH, 12/12 Both Spectrums

Day 15 flower

I believe the stretching period is finally winding down. Flowers are becoming more dense and there’s a bit more of a funky smell in the tent. I’ve decided to stop all major pruning about 5 days ago, as I don’t want to stress the ladies too much (though I may have accomplished that with the back right plant, but lessons learned). I’m still picking off the random lower canopy shoot, but I’ve definitely learned that I want to be pretty much done with pruning long before I flip. I can tell the plants really didn’t like it that many days into flower. Also, I will veg for at least another 1 to 2 weeks for the next grow, as I do have the space in the tent. No signs of pests at all. Watering seems to be needed every 2 to 3 days still. Environmental control has been spot on this past week.

IMG 6942

IMG 6943

IMG 6952

Medijuana

Medijuana

To the more experienced farmers: Feedback needed on this post please!!

Day 48

Temp 76, RH 60%, Both Spectrums

Day 21 flower

Ambient 69`F, 29% RH. Flower growth seems to have slowed significantly, but I’m not sure if this is normal. The most notable change is that there are a lot more glands present than last week. Nothing unusual has happened this past week, so I’m not sure what to attribute the slowed growth to, but I have double-checked to make sure there are no light leaks in the tent and I adjusted an intake vent so that it pointed straight down away from the canopy, just in case light was making its way in there somehow. No signs of pests, so I don’t think it is that. I did remove some under-canopy leaves yesterday, as most of them weren’t getting light and a few of them looked fairly worn anyway.

Is this a normal amount of flower growth for 3 weeks post flip?

I'm not privy to the genetics other than being told the clones were 'Raspberry Kush'. If this really has kush genetics, shouldn't I have some indica mass to the flowers by now? I couldn't find any info on this purported strain, so I have a feeling I was BS'd about what I was buying. At least they were all female. o_O

IMG 6960

IMG 6962

IMG 6953

Thanks for any and all feedback. This noob is getting nervous :confused:

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I think the flowers start to plump up after week four or five so hang in there make sure they have enough water and nutes. they should start gaining mass over the next few weeks. From week 4-6 I usually up the dosage of bloom nutes full strength just make sure they can handle it first.

Abek666

Abek666

seems fine to me sometimes after stretch they will slow down a bit so dont worry and be patient^^ they will blow up any more infos on the strain like flowering time from bean and cut?
have fun^^

Medijuana

Medijuana

seems fine to me sometimes after stretch they will slow down a bit so dont worry and be patient^^ they will blow up any more infos on the strain like flowering time from bean and cut?
have fun^^

I can't find anything about the growing habits of the strain other than someone mentioning the strain here on THCfarmer. They apparently didn't like the results, so that has made me a bit nervous. I have my doubts that this strain is really what I was told, as the guy who supplied the clones to me was mildly shady. I have noticed a bit more mass over the last few days, and things are definitely developing a nice sugar-coating. Also, I noticed a new pleasant pine-musk scent in the tent today when I watered. As long as I end up with decent quality meds, I'll be happy. I never set out to break any records with this grow, being my first one and all. I'll still post my gram/watt ratio for those interested.

One more addition to the garden will be Cap's Bennies coming in this week. I can only read so many positive reviews of his stuff before finally giving in and ordering the set. Thanks Cap!!! :)

Abek666

Abek666

patience is the rule of thumb when it comes to gardening^^
so let it flower differently long in the next rounds and see wich is the best smokewise and stick to that and when you not happy at all with the results kick it and start new things, there are so manny strains out there to try out^^

hope things turn out to be on the stellar side for you have a good one

Medijuana

Medijuana

So I did some searchin, and I have a feeling I've ended up with Raspberry Cough, not Raspberry Kush. Every picture I could find of a flowering Cough looks very close (if not identical) to my girls. I definitely see some sativa-like traits in the growths habits and the bud structure. The person I acquired the clones from knew I wanted a sativa-dominant strain, and he seemed caught off guard when I gave him weird looks every time he said he was trading 'Raspberry Kush' with me. I think he just had Kush on the mind (to match his bloodshot eyes ;) )

I'll post an update either today or tomorrow. Cheers!

Medijuana

Medijuana

Day 54

77`F, 58% RH

Day 27 Flower

Ambient 77`F, 25% RH. Flower growth has picked back up again and the colas are gaining a bit more mass. A sharp increase in trichomes is the most notable change, as there’s no mistaking that sugar-coated look. Also, over a third of the primary flowers that first popped out after the flip have retracted their pistils and have swollen to almost 3 times their original size. I’m going to assume the rest of the buds will follow suit within the next several days. The smell hasn’t gotten too ridiculous, but I think the ozone generator is keeping this in check. The odor right now is a fruity pine with a very slight hint of fuel. This week I started supplementing with a half-strength solution of Roots Organic Buddha Bloom in every other watering. Some of Cap’s Bennies will be added to the mix for good measure. I did finally see a few fungus gnats today, so I’ll make sure to apply the foliar spray to the soil this week to get rid of those fuckers. I don’t think they could do any damage at this point, but with their successful assassination of my germinated seeds during my first (and failed) grow attempt, I’m not holding back on these buggers.

As always, any feedback/suggestions/criticisms are welcome.

IMG 7004

IMG 7006

IMG 7005

IMG 7018

IMG 7008

This last shot is just to share the photo with the farm. I <3 macro. Enjoy!
IMG 7012

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Nice work. I have a very similar setup, but using MH/HPS. Check out my Chaos diary in my sign to see how MH/HPS compares to the LED. You may want to keep the LED closed to the plant tops. I don't use them, but that is my understanding. Because they run cool, you can keep them closer. I started my grow from clone 2 days after you. I'm also in super soil. Just started flowering on Monday. Keep it up.

outwest

Medijuana

Medijuana

Nice work. I have a very similar setup, but using MH/HPS. Check out my Chaos diary in my sign to see how MH/HPS compares to the LED. You may want to keep the LED closed to the plant tops. I don't use them, but that is my understanding. Because they run cool, you can keep them closer. I started my grow from clone 2 days after you. I'm also in super soil. Just started flowering on Monday. Keep it up.

outwest

Oh don't worry, I've been watching your thread closely since the beginning. :D You have some nice ladies.

I'm kinda in that awkward spot between balancing light coverage with intensity/proximity. I think where I have the lights now is working out well, but I will definitely be acquiring a second 357Mag for my next grow so that I have full coverage of my 4x4 space without having to keep the lights so high. Right now, the 357Mag is about 6 inches away from the tallest cola, so I'm not doing too bad on that front anyway. Earlier in the grow during the veg cycle, I did have one leaf that suffered some bleaching, and that happened about 4" to 6" away from the light. I think the girls have all hardened off by now though, so bleaching shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Thanks for the feedback! It's always appreciated.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Great work Medi! I guess I forgot to supcribe to this..Those plants and that set up are awesome.
I like this thread because That looks like something I could do. someday.

Looks to me like that light is doing a great job so far.

B

Burned Haze

I have some blackstar 500uv (3) and they seem to do a good job but my HPS/MH seem to kicks it ass thou, however the meeds do rem fairly compact and flavorful they just seem to make mini versions compared. The last few years LED and plasma lights have really improved , imagine what happens in ten next few years .

Medijuana

Medijuana

Great work Medi! I guess I forgot to supcribe to this..Those plants and that set up are awesome.
I like this thread because That looks like something I could do. someday.

Looks to me like that light is doing a great job so far.

Thanks CGK. I hope the garden stays healthy these last several weeks. If I get even a moderate amount of high-quality meds, I'll be very happy (this is all for personal use any, so if it gets me through an entire grow cycle, I'm good). I definitely won't be breaking any quantity records though. I do have some indica-dominant seeds on hand, so I'll go for those records on the next grow ;)

I have some blackstar 500uv (3) and they seem to do a good job but my HPS/MH seem to kicks it ass thou, however the meeds do rem fairly compact and flavorful they just seem to make mini versions compared. The last few years LED and plasma lights have really improved , imagine what happens in ten next few years .

I'm really happy with the 357Mag unit so far. It definitely can't cover my 4x4 screen, but I'll add another unit for the next grow, and that should cover things perfectly. I have a feeling that with full light coverage and an indica-dominant strain, I should be able to pull some pretty good numbers on my next round. I've learned a lot during this first grow, especially from mistakes I made in not vegging quite long enough, not pruning more aggressively in the veg period, not selecting individual growing shoots for each section of the screen, and pruning too aggressively once I flipped to the flower cycle.

Medijuana

Medijuana

Day 60

Temp 81`F, 59% RH, Both Spectrums

Day 33 flower

Ambient 82`F, 16% RH. Bud swelling is becoming more apparent. The odor is definitely at its strongest yet, a sweet funky pine. Many pistils are beginning to turn orange, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the next flush of flowers. I watered the ladies with AACT made with Cap’s Bennies this weekend. Hopefully that will begin to take care of the few fungus gnats I’ve seen flitting around. All in all, this week has been relatively uneventful. Just enjoying the show at this point and keeping on the watering schedule, which seems to be needed every 2 to 3 days. I’ve been watering with about 3/4 of a gallon in each pot and feeding half strength Roots Organic Buddha Bloom every second watering. Now that I have a supply of Bennies, I will add a bit of the Root and Foliar to each AACT brew.

BTW, I know this sentiment is probably universally shared here, but marijuana is one of the most beautiful plants on Earth. I have to stop myself from staring too long sometimes. It's almost magic the fact that it produces neurochemicals that take effect on dedicated neural pathways in our brain and bodies that seem to exist only for a response to this plant. To me, it's the same as the moth that Darwin predicted to exist even before it was discovered, based purely on the structure of a flower with an exceptionally deep nectar tube. Sure enough, the one animal that can access this flower's nectar, and thus pollinate the flower, is a highly adapted moth, the Morgan's Sphinx Moth. Mother nature blows my fucking mind sometimes.

IMG 7045

IMG 7052

IMG 7053

IMG 7054

Medijuana

Medijuana

So I have no idea why this seems to be happening, but one of the plants appears to be maturing MUCH faster than the other three. And by maturing, I mean yellowing, apoptosis (fall foliage) of about 65% of primary fan leaves and definite milkiness of the glands. The bud fan leaves are still green/purple and look pretty healthy. The other three plants' leaves are nice and green and the majority of the glands are still clear. On the fast maturing plant, I definitely don't see any amber color to any of the glands, but I don't see very many clear ones either. They're all clones from the same mother, so I thought they'd mature all about the same time.

Any feedback or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

The pics below are the buds of the plant that looks like it wants to finish soon. I'm only at day 42 of flower. I'm assuming I should base my harvest time on when the glands began to change over, correct, and not on the appearance of the primary fan leaves?

IMG 7138

IMG 7142

IMG 7142   Version 2

As a side note, these buds are VERY dense. My curiosity got the best of me and I gave one a squeeze and there was almost no give to it at all. And I swear I felt a buzz when I licked the stickiness off my fingers. Taste good too!! :D

Medijuana

Medijuana

Maybe this pic will help clear up what I'm seeing?

The bud pics above are from the plant with all the yellowing leaves.

IMG 7143

Any ideas out there?

Luke OReilly

Luke OReilly

I love to see people posting LED grows!! Your plants look happy, healthy and productive!

Botanikos

Botanikos

That's weird, but not unheard of, the yellowing leaves can be an indication of certain things, check your nutes, temp, stuff on the check list to see what may be causing this. Will need more info to narrow the list.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom