Another Rookie Looking For Help😂

• Thread starter Subaru2k13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Subaru2k13

Subaru2k13

Hello all! As many others, I've taken this year and decided to invest in a hobby. Figured I'd give growing a shot, have always wanted to just never had the chance. But here I am! I have a Vivosun 2'*2'*4' indoor grow tent with a desktop fan going as well as an inline fan to suck air out. A buddy of mine gave me an entire plants worth of seed infested buds, so I scoured the internet trying to figure out the difference between male/female seeds. Germinated 4 and am currently at this stage with 3(4th never made it out the ground sadly). I'm honestly hoping the 3rd won't make it just because of how limited in space I am, but we'll see how it goes. The only thing I'm concerned about is the smallest of the three plants has a tiny pinhole in it's main leaf(can't remember the name to save my life), so I am a bit worried about bugs. And wanted to get feedback on how to take care of bugs with such young plants. The other two are fine, no holes or anything. Also if anything looks not right please feel free to lmk! I am always trying to learn more about this process, and eventually want to focus more on quality of buds. Right now I'm just learning the ropes. I am also curious if I should be transplanting the two taller ones, as I've started to notice a tiny little root sticking out of one of the holes in the solo cup? The plants are a bit more stretched too, when I first started them I had them too far from the light. But here's to (hopefully) a successful grow!

Another rookie looking for help
Another rookie looking for help 2
Another rookie looking for help 3
Subaru2k13

Subaru2k13

I stand corrected, it isn't the smallest one with the hole.. you can see the holes in the leader to the left. I'm not sure what it is, but it's just on that one leaf and plant. Also, another question I have is; is it okay to change soils midgrow? The soil in the solo cups was just some random potting soil I grabbed from one of the flower pots at work. And when I go to transfer the plants into bigger pots, I'd like to use better soil. Or just different since I definitely can't take 15 gallons worth of soil lol. So was just curious if it'd effect the plant that much, I'm sure there's some initial "shock" just want to know other's opinions. Thanks again for the help!

20201129 152706
weed_weasel

weed_weasel

Those plants are to small to be transplanting now. Wait until you have 4 or 5 sets of leaves. I often use a fertilized potting mix in the Solo cup, usually Pro-Mix Organic. I transplant into 5 gallon pots of Pro-Mix HP which has no nutrients. Fill the pot that is to receive the transplant around a Solo cup. Now when you transplant you can pop the seedling out of the cup and put it into the hole you made, make sure it is wet before you pop it out of the cup. Tamp the soil down gently then water.

As far as your seeds go you can't tell male from female. You have to wait until the pre-flower stage. If you see wispy hairs at bud sites it's a female, if you see pollen sacs begin to develop it's a male and should be pulled before the pollen sacs open.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You can change soil whenever you'd like. The plants won't mind, unless you're changing to shitty soil.

RR1

RR1

I stand corrected, it isn't the smallest one with the hole.. you can see the holes in the leader to the left. I'm not sure what it is, but it's just on that one leaf and plant. Also, another question I have is; is it okay to change soils midgrow? The soil in the solo cups was just some random potting soil I grabbed from one of the flower pots at work. And when I go to transfer the plants into bigger pots, I'd like to use better soil. Or just different since I definitely can't take 15 gallons worth of soil lol. So was just curious if it'd effect the plant that much, I'm sure there's some initial "shock" just want to know other's opinions. Thanks again for the help!
This may sound mean, but it's not meant to. You went and got all the stuff, blah, blah. Did you remember to do your homework? Do you have a green thumb? Do you grow other types of plants, flowers, etc? Those are the kinds of things that help determine what happens next. Buy a book or two on horticulture. Grow other stuff. You should see all the pots on my deck in warm months. Also for the indoor stuff, learn how to make a healthy environment for your babies. Learn about pests. Indoor has no natural controls like outside does. Learn which details are important, and which are not as important.
If you put the work into nice healthy plants, and really learning how, pretty soon you'll be the guy who always has good shit.
Good luck,
RR1

Subaru2k13

Subaru2k13

Yea I thought it'd be too soon, everywhere I've read they say to wait till there's more sets of leaves. To be completely honest, I could probably answer a lot of the questions I asked myself, but I personally just like to get as much feedback as possible. With that said, RR1 I definitely don't take that as you being mean or harsh. I don't have an extensive plant background, I have planted various veggies in the past with success. I also tried to do as much research as possible before buying a single thing to start growing cannabis. But I've always wanted to learn, not just to say "oh hey I have 'homegrown' shit", but because I'm a very curious person. When it comes to stuff I don't know, it's almost like a challenge to me, and I refuse to do anything half ass. Now I'm not saying I'm gonna grow the best plants, or that I'll be better than everyone. I just want to absorb as much info as possible, so that I can get the best results possible. Unfortunately, I personally don't know anyone who grows, so I am at the mercy of the internet. But I also know better and to take what I read with a grain of salt because what works for one person doesn't for another.
But I do appreciate the feedback so far!! My plants seem to be healthy and happy. The hole in the leaf is still odd to me only because it's just that one leaf. If it was multiple leaves/plants it'd almost be easier to diagnose lol. I also was just curious about pest control with weed plants. I'm very hesitant to put any sort of pesticides anywhere near my plants and was hoping to use a more natural remedy. But I might not even need to worry about it, as I've noticed no new holes or signs of bugs of any kind.
Other than all of that the only thing that im a bit uncomfortable with is adding nutrients. Like I said, I have some experience with growing veggies but not weed. I'm a lot more hesitant or nervous with these plants. Which I shouldn't be, I know I'll screw up a few plants and it's part of the learning curve. Luckily I have more seeds than I know what to do with so I have plenty of time to learn. But I've never really messed with any sort of liquid plant nutes. I've always stuck to just using good quality soil to grow veggies. I did end up buying the fox farm trio, since that seems to be a very popular starting point. I've seen their feed chart on their website and know that those numbers are for when you're using all of the products listed on that chart. But it says to mix with a gallon of water, so does that mean I just mix up a gallon of water with however much nutes and give all of that water to my plants then and there? Because that's a lot of water it seems for such a young plant. Or do I mix that gallon, use however much I use and keep however much water/nutes is left until the next feed? That's the part I'm super confused on, maybe I'm overthinking it.. or maybe I'm too baked, who knows🤷🏻‍♂️ lol
I do want to say thank you again to everyone to commented! I hate relying on the internet in this day and age, but with no experienced growers around, this is as close to "ask a professional" as I'll get lol

Last edited:
RR1

RR1

Yea I thought it'd be too soon, everywhere I've read they say to wait till there's more sets of leaves. To be completely honest, I could probably answer a lot of the questions I asked myself, but I personally just like to get as much feedback as possible. With that said, RR1 I definitely don't take that as you being mean or harsh. I don't have an extensive plant background, I have planted various veggies in the past with success. I also tried to do as much research as possible before buying a single thing to start growing cannabis. But I've always wanted to learn, not just to say "oh hey I have 'homegrown' shit", but because I'm a very curious person. When it comes to stuff I don't know, it's almost like a challenge to me, and I refuse to do anything half ass. Now I'm not saying I'm gonna grow the best plants, or that I'll be better than everyone. I just want to absorb as much info as possible, so that I can get the best results possible. Unfortunately, I personally don't know anyone who grows, so I am at the mercy of the internet. But I also know better and to take what I read with a grain of salt because what works for one person doesn't for another.
But I do appreciate the feedback so far!! My plants seem to be healthy and happy. The hole in the leaf is still odd to me only because it's just that one leaf. If it was multiple leaves/plants it'd almost be easier to diagnose lol. I also was just curious about pest control with weed plants. I'm very hesitant to put any sort of pesticides anywhere near my plants and was hoping to use a more natural remedy. But I might not even need to worry about it, as I've noticed no new holes or signs of bugs of any kind.
Other than all of that the only thing that im a bit uncomfortable with is adding nutrients. Like I said, I have some experience with growing veggies but not weed. I'm a lot more hesitant or nervous with these plants. Which I shouldn't be, I know I'll screw up a few plants and it's part of the learning curve. Luckily I have more seeds than I know what to do with so I have plenty of time to learn. But I've never really messed with any sort of liquid plant nutes. I've always stuck to just using good quality soil to grow veggies. I did end up buying the fox farm trio, since that seems to be a very popular starting point. I've seen their feed chart on their website and know that those numbers are for when you're using all of the products listed on that chart. But it says to mix with a gallon of water, so does that mean I just mix up a gallon of water with however much nutes and give all of that water to my plants then and there? Because that's a lot of water it seems for such a young plant. Or do I mix that gallon, use however much I use and keep however much water/nutes is left until the next feed? That's the part I'm super confused on, maybe I'm overthinking it.. or maybe I'm too baked, who knows🤷🏻‍♂️ lol
I do want to say thank you again to everyone to commented! I hate relying on the internet in this day and age, but with no experienced growers around, this is as close to "ask a professional" as I'll get lol
You'll be surprised what you will eventually end up with. You have the right attitude, and a curious mind. Too bad you don't have anyone around. That would be a huge help. Guess you'll have to make do with us.
RR1

Top Bottom