ants on my plants

• Thread starter patrick hazey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

patrick hazey

hi all. I have a dilema. My outdoor crop has an ant infestation and some catepillars n of course spider mites. I just got some azatrol. What's should I get for ants n catepillars.
This is my first outdoor grom but I am really an indoor grower.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

DT 4 the caterpillars I'm thinking Maybe the azatrol will take care of the ants..

Ants on my plants sound super funny 2 me

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
ants on your plants sometimes bring aphids

they ranch them like cattle

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
ants on your plants sometimes bring aphids

they ranch them like cattle
Oh fuck ME, you can say that again!

Dude, ants brought root aphids 20'-30' up off the ground last year, right into my perlite hempy tubs. Fucked them UP. Ants have infested one patch of sweet corn with aphids.

I don't know how best to control ants outside of creating barriers, but even then they can tunnel right under them, but stuff like diatomaceous earth spread at the base of the plants can be quite helpful. For the aphids I've begun experimenting with a tomato leaf spray, made from the fresh leaves of tomatoes and steeped for a day or two, seems to be working against spider mites and only yesterday did I spray the aphids in the corn, so I'll have to see if that did anything to help.

Ants are farming... errr. ranching aphids on every bull thistle we have on the property. It's pretty creepy when you catch them taking groups of aphids to new plants. Several ants, each with their own aphid, will gather on the underside of a leaf. They'll cluster together, and then the ants' abdomens begin to pulse, all together, rhythmically, as though they're dancing or masturbating. Creepy.

Tanglefoot at the base of the plant will prevent them from taking anything up the stalk. But the roots need to be watched carefully, too, and if they seem to be doing something in the root zone I would treat immediately, based on my experiences last year.

OGONLY

OGONLY

I've had ants on my outdoor plants all season. I actually thought they may be beneficial. I figured they were looking for other incects to eat, which would be good right? I have had only seen an occasional single aphid, never any in large numbers. No spider mites here. I have several small spiders that live on my plants. I feel that they are likely to kill any aphids or spider mites that may appear.

I've followed your advice Seamaiden about the Thuricide to prevent caterpillers and haven't seen one yet. Haven't rotated with Spinosad even though I have it. Might do so this week. Nice big colas are really starting to form now, so happy they are not being eaten. Thanks for the tip Seamaiden!

S

Sunbiz1

hi all. I have a dilema. My outdoor crop has an ant infestation and some catepillars n of course spider mites. I just got some azatrol. What's should I get for ants n catepillars.
This is my first outdoor grom but I am really an indoor grower.

I had the same problem. Then I made one of these and it worked...only borax was a bitch to find...Meijer markets still carry 20 mule.

http://naturalantkiller.blogspot.com/

G

Greencandyman

Those nasty little ant bastards farm the aphids, only eat enough to not kill off what they have brought to your plant, and when they have excess aphids, carry em down and then to the next plant. Farm em and do it again. A good way to get rid of the little buggers is go to home depot, and they sell bags of lady bugs, hundreds in each bag. Wait till its dark, and sprinkle them out of the bag on your plants. If done at night, they will pretty much stay till there is no food source. It will wipe em out. I also have used preying manits's. The nurseries sell the egg cases pretty cheap. Put the egg cases in an aquarium w/ a small heat lamp on them, and in two weeks about 200 babies hatch out from each case. Aplly to plants after dark, and they eat the shit out of every bug on your plants.

Top Bottom