ANTS!!! what should i use?

• Thread starter ZIONLION
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

ZIONLION

hey everyone. I found ants in my room today. tiny little guys. seems like they've focused on only one plant. thats the good news. will they eat at the roots? how do i get rid of them?
i would really appreciate your help.

Barefrog

Barefrog

Hey Zionlion

Why would the ants
go up the plants. I
suspect they will farm
some aphids, that is
what they do.

Borax is a natural ant
killer they will bring it
back to the queen and
that will kill her as well.

However if the ants dont
go on your plant but are just
interested in your soil, let
them do their job.
They will aerate your soil
like nothing else. I had plant
outdoor with ant hill and they
were always the biggest plant.

Bare

Z

ZIONLION

thnx barefrog.
they dont go up the plant. they are just in the soil. so they wont attack the roots?

Barefrog

Barefrog

If they are only on
your root system dont
bother them, they are
part of nature too.

I know they love to farm
aphids on plant it is a nectar
for them, they do it just like
us farming cow.

Bare

J

Jalisco Kid

We had a lot of rain in Nov. which brought ants into my room. I had one plant end up having scales. Never heard of anyone having this problem. I have only had mites once. I bought some tanglefoot which is a goey mess and circled the stalk with it. Killed the scales with my hands problem solved. Using DE indoors with fans is bad on the lungs. JK
I always get people telling me how great DE is so here is the msds on it. I know the miners wish they never heard of it.

A

Alekiboy

The ants should be harmless to your plants...
Are you using molasses or any other sweets in your nute drinks that might be attracting them..
In Hawaii I have 4 different ant species that travel through my growing areas... And they seem to just keep things clean and I have never seen them attack any parts of my plants... I wish I could train them to keep guard for mites and grasshoppers...
Alekiboy

T

thc4sim

Anteaters are good i hear!! LOL :icon_cookie:

sorry could'nt help it!!

:boogie:

F

FastForward

Thnx Guano. where do you find that stuff?
:afroweed:

Google Diahydro....am after some myself....put a layer of it on top of your soil/coco and the bugs get their bodies ripped to shit when they crawl over them :)

J

Jalisco Kid

FF If it slices an dices the exoskeleton of an insect what do you think it does to nice tender lungs?

J

Jalisco Kid

I could not imagine what you would use it for in food,but the msds says it does not cause problems ingesting it. I will put in what it says about inhaling and drop it . You decide what is best for you.
It is like I try to get my guys to wear welders safty googles in the room, they think its a pain in the ass to go back and get them. Wait 20 years the shit adds up.
Suerte JK

Diatomaceous Earth
1. Product Identification

Synonyms: Diatomite; Celite®; Kieselguhr Soda Ash Flux Calcined
CAS No.: 68855-54-9
Molecular Weight: Not applicable.
Chemical Formula: Not applicable.
Product Codes: 1939

2. Composition/Information on Ingredients

Ingredient CAS No Percent Hazardous
--------------------------------------- ------------ ------------ ---------

Kieselguhr, Soda Ash Flux-calcined 68855-54-9 100% Yes
This product may contain up to 75% crystalline silica:
Cristobalite 14464-46-1 < 70% Yes
Quartz 14808-60-7 < 5% Yes

3. Hazards Identification

Emergency Overview
--------------------------
WARNING! HARMFUL IF INHALED. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. MAY AFFECT LUNGS. CANCER HAZARD. CONTAINS CRYSTALLINE SILICA WHICH CAN CAUSE CANCER. Risk of cancer depends upon duration and level of exposure.

SAF-T-DATA(tm) Ratings (Provided here for your convenience)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Health Rating: 4 - Extreme (Cancer Causing)
Flammability Rating: 0 - None
Reactivity Rating: 0 - None
Contact Rating: 1 - Slight
Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES
Storage Color Code: Blue (Health)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
Causes dryness and irritation to the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, sore throat, breathing difficulty (dyspnea), and wheezing. Excessive inhalation may cause decreased pulmonary function, lung damage and silicosis. Acute silicosis is manifested by dyspnea, fever, cough and weight loss. Severe respiratory symptoms may lead to death.
Ingestion:
No adverse effects expected.
Skin Contact:
Causes irritation with dryness and abrasion.
Eye Contact:
Causes irritation, redness, and pain.
Chronic Exposure:
Prolonged inhalation exposure may produce silicosis. Chronic symptoms include cough, dyspnea, wheezing, increased susceptibility to tuberculosis, decreased chest expansion, and repeated nonspecific chest illnesses. Progressive respiratory and cardiopulmonary impairment may be fatal. Chronic inhalation of crystalline silica is a lung cancer hazard.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Persons with pre-existing respiratory or cardiopulmonary problems may be more susceptible to the effects of this substance.

N

Nuglover

I don't personally put it in mine, although I've heard of putting it in pet food to kill parisites. They have food grade that is kept with grain and corn in silo's to avoid infestations. And yeah...don't breathe the shit.

N

northern monsta

i had ants bout 3 years ago the little fuckers came through cracks in floor and walls i seen them before they could make there way to my garden, what i done was, get some powder ant killer and lined around the outside of the grow then under door frames and then i got on to where they were comeing from and put my 3rd carton down holes ect i used 3 tins of the stuff and its not good to breath BUT i never seen them again and there were HUNDREDS, i dont know if they would of damaged or ate anything as they never got the chance after a couple of days i hoovered it all up Ant killing powder defno works good just be sure to use a bit, p.s. bugs creep me out i say best to kill them they may not have hurt anything but at the time it was them or me, so it was them lol but if your outdoors i dont know maybe leave them NUGLOVER is 100% rite dontbreath that shit

B

Brothers Brand

instead of using toxic poison on plants that youre going to consume, you can use artificial sweetener containing aspartame, like Equal for example... its a little known fact that before we started using it as a sugar substitute, it was developed to be an ant killer.
and millions of people put it in their coffee every morning......

R

rayvon

have a google for sonic insect repellers. used to have a real bad problem in me kitchen when i got this place, put one of these things in the corner of the room and ive not seen a single ant since (just change its frequency once a week on mine). its sods law that some of em will be shite some shite hot so look around.

fair few peeps on here have said ants are beneficial for your soil though so i'd look into that too :)

S

shepj

You could probably make "tobacco tea", most pests don't care for that too much lol.

G

greenthumb

the only ants you have to worry about are wood ants and leaf cutters but dont go squashing them because that releases a hormone into the air and before you know it your infested

Top Bottom