Any accoustic engineers in here?

• Thread starter ComfortablyNumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Pests are a problem for many growers and we all have to watch out for them.
But I also know that all pests have a frequency they don't like. Does anyone here happen to know what that is?
We could just put a small transducer in the grow to keep it pest free without chemicals.

Anthem

Anthem

Pests are a problem for many growers and we all have to watch out for them.
But I also know that all pests have a frequency they don't like. Does anyone here happen to know what that is?
We could just put a small transducer in the grow to keep it pest free without chemicals.
Sounds like bro science because if it was that easy, it would have already been done.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Sounds like bro science because if it was that easy, it would have already been done.
Not necessarily. Just because nobody thought of it yet means its bad. Or should we have said that about the microchip?

Medical science is now (in the last 3 years that I know of) coming out with sonic treatments for various issues. It works there. I've seen freq modulation lift a ping pong ball.
This can work, the thing is figuring out how to do it right.

euphoria526

euphoria526

Not necessarily. Just because nobody thought of it yet means its bad. Or should we have said that about the
Medical science is now (in the last 3 years that I know of) coming out with sonic treatments for various issues. It works there. I've seen freq modulation lift a ping pong ball.
They have made sonic pear repellants for years, but you probably haven’t heard much from them for a reason. They either don’t work as advertised or too many pests are on too many different frequencies to be effective

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

They have made sonic pear repellants for years, but you probably haven’t heard much from them for a reason. They either don’t work as advertised or too many pests are on too many different frequencies to be effective
Right, I've seen the ones for mice and other small animals.
Those are set on one freq. I'm thinking of a rotating freq that cover the top 10 insect pests for cannabis.
The ones I've seen are underpowered as well.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Best advice I can give is don’t paying lady Gaga music around plants or you’ll have a cockroach infestation happen, theirs something about the frequency and hurtz range of her voice that cock roaches just love
*choke* Don't read this while drinking. 🤣 😂

Anthem

Anthem

Not necessarily. Just because nobody thought of it yet means its bad. Or should we have said that about the microchip?

If it was just a simple matter of varies frequency, it would already be on the market. These large scale professional growers have a lot to invest and have invested in to what ever they can get to prevent problems. They are even using Nasa developed technology to eliminate 99.9 percent of all mold spores in the air. If they can afford this type of technology you are assured they have looked at Frequency modulation to ward off bugs.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

If it was just a simple matter of varies frequency, it would already be on the market. These large scale professional growers have a lot to invest and have invested in to what ever they can get to prevent problems. They are even using Nasa developed technology to eliminate 99.9 percent of all mold spores in the air. If they can afford this type of technology you are assured they have looked at Frequency modulation to ward off bugs.
That's ok. You don't have to join in. The rest of like learning and experimenting. We will take care of it.

Anthem

Anthem

That's ok. You don't have to join in. The rest of like learning and experimenting. We will take care of it.
It is just more of your bro science, I will be happy to stick around and put in my 2 cents whenever I feel the need!

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

It is just more of your bro science, I will be happy to stick around and put in my 2 cents whenever I feel the need!
If you were being constructive with your criticism, then that would be great. But if all you're going to do is be negative, then just go away because you are becoming a bigger pest than hemorrhoids.

@Aqua Man

Anthem

Anthem

If you were being constructive with your criticism, then that would be great. But if all you're going to do is be negative, then just go away because you are becoming a bigger pest than hemorrhoids.

@Aqua Man
Say as you may but I am just adding my comments to the conversation as you are.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

As always debate is absolutely welcome. We don't have to agree and that's fine but we do have to be respectful.

All opinions, facts and information are welcomed so our members can decide for themselves.

We do have an ignore function for those not wanting to see posts of others.

Unhinged

Unhinged

Saying bro science doesn't make you right.

You should look into vibrations and frequencies. If they can detonate a turbine then they can piss off an insect. Go ahead, dig yourself in deeper.

Anthem

Anthem

Saying bro science doesn't make you right.

You should look into vibrations and frequencies. If they can detonate a turbine then they can piss off an insect. Go ahead, dig yourself in deeper.
Perhaps you could invent the device and make millions off it.

Anthem

Anthem

Hmmm.... The guys that invented these must be really dumb, huh?
Well how about buying one and reporting back. I am sure we can find a few people on the site more than willing to send you some spider mites and root aphids to check out the effectiveness.
https://www.amazon.com/ultrasonic-pest-repeller/s?k=ultrasonic+pest+repeller

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter

I tend to agree, just because nobody has attempted doesn't mean it won't work. People in the medical profession make millions of dollars by inventing a cap, or a way of doing something more efficiently. Luer lock reflux connectors are an excellent example.
Luerlock

I think novel ideals or approaches have potential sometimes. It's just a fair amount of testing and failure. I've got some pretty effective means of controlling spidermites and fungi, but once I started using them, the spider mites were gone, forever. I really haven't seen any since, so it's difficult to work on something, unless your at least knee deep into it.

I've had idea's for doing things like attaching cellphone buzzers to plants, because it's low frequency. If there physically attached to the plants they well could have other net benefits. But I think anything attached to the plant stalks is going to transmit both noise, and vibration, which I think might drive them away also.
Vibration2
Vibration

The other benefit of using such an approach would be that it helps increase air movement, and perhaps increasing C02 uptake. Plants are sensitive to vibrations, and there's a lot of evidence that they are able to sense in this capacity. "feeling" their way with roots and leaves through vibrations.

It's certainly an interesting topic.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I tend to agree, just because nobody has attempted doesn't mean it won't work. People in the medical profession make millions of dollars by inventing a cap, or a way of doing something more efficiently.

I think novel ideals or approaches have potential sometimes. It's just a fair amount of testing and failure. I've got some pretty effective means of controlling spidermites and fungi, but once I started using them, the spider mites were gone, forever. I really haven't seen any since, so it's difficult to work on something, unless your at least knee deep into it.

I've had idea's for doing things like attaching cellphone buzzers to plants, because it's low frequency. If there physically attached to the plants they well could have other net benefits. But I think anything attached to the plant stalks is going to transmit both noise, and vibration, which I think might drive them away also.

The other benefit of using such an approach would be that it helps increase air movement, and perhaps increasing C02 uptake. Plants are sensitive to vibrations, and there's a lot of evidence that they are able to sense in this capacity. "feeling" their way with roots and leaves through vibrations.

It's certainly an interesting topic.
Cool. I had not heard about them being sensitive to vibration, but it makes sense in hindsight.
It would just have to make sure it does not give out harmful freqs to the plants.

Latest posts

Top Bottom