Any eletrictions is the house

• Thread starter NewGrowerer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
New room build. Need advise is the load can hols on my panel. Located in the US.

100 amp panel

Mini split : https://www.alpinehomeair.com/produ...zvbUMcfbNN_pC1VV2gpVNctPuwR06q7RoCTwEQAvD_BwE

8 gavita 1700e LED

Quest dehumidifier: https://www.questclimate.com/product/quest-876/

I need 8 120v plugs. Will have two trolmaster, a water pump, and an auto doser. (This should be no more than 15 amps breaker)
What other loads are on this panel? If that's it ( what you posted) then 100A is fine. If that's your house panel and you have a typical home and 100Amp is all you have then no way 100 amp will be enough The mini split requires a 50 amp breaker and that dehue will require a 30 amp.

NewGrowerer

NewGrowerer

House is 200amps.

This is a sub panel. It has 10 opens slots

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
House is 200amps.

This is a sub panel. It has 10 opens slots
Lots of space then, you're good to go. Just make sure you use the right sized wires to run between panels. Its been a few years for me since I retired but I seem to remember a #2 for a 100Amp...

NewGrowerer

NewGrowerer

Lots of space then, you're good to go. Just make sure you use the right sized wires to run between panels. Its been a few years for me since I retired but I seem to remember a #2 for a 100Amp...

K

NewGrowerer

NewGrowerer

How many Lights on a 20amp breaker should I do?

I had two different electrical guys tellcme diffent stuff. One said no and one said yes lol.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
How many Lights on a 20amp breaker should I do?

I had two different electrical guys tellcme diffent stuff. One said no and one said yes lol.
a 20 amp breaker = 2000 watts to be safe add your lights wattage up. you can't go over 2000. again though you are now on a number 12 wire if you're coming straight out of the panel.

NewGrowerer

NewGrowerer

a 20 amp breaker = 2000 watts to be safe add your lights wattage up. you can't go over 2000. again though you are now on a number 12 wire if you're coming straight out of the panel.
Ok now sure what the 1700e watts are added up

RamDan

RamDan

Ok now sure what the 1700e watts are added up
There has to be, somewhere, marked on the lights the power that they draw. If not, it will for sure say how many watts each led draws, count your individual LEDs and multiply then add 10% to be safe. For example an old LED light would have say 80 LEDs in it and they would be drawing probably only three watts each (newer leds are up to ten watts each and bigger) so, 80x3=240, plus 24 (the ten percent) would be 264W. As for a standard fixture, 1000W HPS for example the bulb will draw 1000W but ballasts are on top of that…and they are usually around 100W. so 1100W. I should note that if you were able to do it and your lights are compatible it’s much better to run them on 220 V of power instead of the regular 110 current that you probably have. It’s cheaper to run that way…or no, there’s nothing cheap about electricity, it’s less expensive lol. Good luck, and remember if your buddy is getting jolted, don’t grab him and pull him away or both of u will end up down 😂
Good luck with your wiring!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
There has to be, somewhere, marked on the lights the power that they draw. If not, it will for sure say how many watts each led draws, count your individual LEDs and multiply then add 10% to be safe. For example an old LED light would have say 80 LEDs in it and they would be drawing probably only three watts each (newer leds are up to ten watts each and bigger) so, 80x3=240, plus 24 (the ten percent) would be 264W. As for a standard fixture, 1000W HPS for example the bulb will draw 1000W but ballasts are on top of that…and they are usually around 100W. so 1100W. I should note that if you were able to do it and your lights are compatible it’s much better to run them on 220 V of power instead of the regular 110 current that you probably have. It’s cheaper to run that way…or no, there’s nothing cheap about electricity, it’s less expensive lol. Good luck, and remember if your buddy is getting jolted, don’t grab him and pull him away or both of u will end up down 😂
Good luck with your wiring!
Cheaper? Voltage x amperage = wattage We pay by the KW 120 V X 15 amps = 220V x 7.5 amps = 1650 watts either way

NewGrowerer

NewGrowerer

I will be running everything possible on 240 plug. Thanks for info

I have the Gavita 1700e's. They draw a tad over 5 amps each. You can get 3 lights per 20 amp circuit but noting else. No fans, no dehumidifier, no AC......nothing. Having pen spaces in your panel doesnt mean you have more power. 100 amp service is just that......100 amps. You cant draw more than that across all your power needs.

RamDan

RamDan

Cheaper? Voltage x amperage = wattage We pay by the KW 120 V X 15 amps = 220V x 7.5 amps = 1650 watts either way
That’s what we thought too until we put a reader on the two different power sources to check it. the higher voltage actually read slightly cheaper to run. All we could come up with was maybe because of the heavier wire used for 240v there was fractionally less net loss from resistance as compared to smaller 120v wires….It wasn’t much, very tiny, but it did test less….I don’t know what to tell ya 🤷🏻‍♂️

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

That’s what we thought too until we put a reader on the two different power sources to check it. the higher voltage actually read slightly cheaper to run. All we could come up with was maybe because of the heavier wire used for 240v there was fractionally less net loss from resistance as compared to smaller 120v wires….It wasn’t much, very tiny, but it did test less….I don’t know what to tell ya 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sometimes it's more in how many digits the meter will read. For example, if your meter only reads to the .1, then using the 5.3amps @120v example and then moving to at 240v line, your meter is dropping the .01 column so again using the same light would read at 2.6 amps @240v instead of 2.65 amps. The math says it should be the same draw electrically, however there may be some real world factors that might vary it slightly like in what you're saying in your example above. At the end of the day, the draw is essentially the same, which is what @PipeCarver is trying to say.

Dan789

Dan789

New room build. Need advise is the load can hols on my panel. Located in the US.

100 amp panel

Mini split : https://www.alpinehomeair.com/produ...zvbUMcfbNN_pC1VV2gpVNctPuwR06q7RoCTwEQAvD_BwE

8 gavita 1700e LED

Quest dehumidifier: https://www.questclimate.com/product/quest-876/

I need 8 120v plugs. Will have two trolmaster, a water pump, and an auto doser. (This should be no more than 15 amps breaker)
Not sure if anyone’s done a load calc for you, but just looking at the two loads you’ve indicated you’ll be adding approx 64 amps at 240 volts to your total load, as we haven’t used 110/220 in the US since 1970… (ac and dehumidifier)…. Add 8 fixtures at 5 amps, is another 20 amps…leaving you very little for the rest of your whole house…just sayin.

NewGrowerer

NewGrowerer

Not sure if anyone’s done a load calc for you, but just looking at the two loads you’ve indicated you’ll be adding approx 64 amps at 240 volts to your total load, as we haven’t used 110/220 in the US since 1970… (ac and dehumidifier)…. Add 8 fixtures at 5 amps, is another 20 amps…leaving you very little for the rest of your whole house…just sayin.
Yeah that's what I was figured. I would be at pretty much 100 amps just for the room. Leaving me 100 for the whole house.

Top Bottom