Any Experience With Aquaphonics?

• Thread starter dab science
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dab science

Im interested in running a setup this witer in a outdoor greenhouse anyone have any input on best ediable fish to use or know anything about starting a good bacteria for the water also best worms for the job or should I not use worms with bacteria?

FreeRadical

FreeRadical

Im not a master at this by any means but ill help you get started. If i was you i would chose between tilapia and an agressive fish known as a japanese arrowana. Then i like using a duckweed tank
to feed your fish and manage algea. And an algea tank to manage the other side.

Last edited:
D

dab science

@FreeRadical I was planning to start a duckweed pond in a kitty pool and a string alge pond in this big fishtank thing I have to feed the fish if I do go with talipia I think that will take care of there diet but im not sure if I should supplement something else for food I know talipia are super aggressive eaters of alge and duckweed so I dont think that will be a issue

D

dab science

I have heard your suppose to start a benifical bacteria culture of some sort in your water something to do with the health of your fish and it helps breakdown the fishpoop to become plant food but again I am uncertain if this is necessary at all ? also if I do use bacteria then would useing worms to convert the fish poop to plant nutrients pointless? Or should I just use worms and no bacteria?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Im interested in running a setup this witer in a outdoor greenhouse anyone have any input on best ediable fish to use or know anything about starting a good bacteria for the water also best worms for the job or should I not use worms with bacteria?
Best edible fish depends on a few factors, not the least of which is this--what is legal in your area? Then, what do you like to eat? I raise bluegill, better eating and easier to feed than largemouth bass and catfish. Also, when I was living in NorCal I couldn't get tilapia as they're not legal in California north of the Tehachapi range.
@FreeRadical I was planning to start a duckweed pond in a kitty pool and a string alge pond in this big fishtank thing I have to feed the fish if I do go with talipia I think that will take care of there diet but im not sure if I should supplement something else for food I know talipia are super aggressive eaters of alge and duckweed so I dont think that will be a issue
If your goal is to use the AP to grow cannabis and/or edible plants, you don't want them to have to compete for nutrients with duckweed, let alone hair algae (it can overtake a system and can and will grow where there is no light). I say no. Yeah, the tilapia will eat the duckweed, but they'll need more than that or they won't taste very good. They need a varied diet in order to have the best flavor. I suggest a separate system for growing the duckweed, then adding it when you wish to feed the fish.
I have heard your suppose to start a benifical bacteria culture of some sort in your water something to do with the health of your fish and it helps breakdown the fishpoop to become plant food but again I am uncertain if this is necessary at all ? also if I do use bacteria then would useing worms to convert the fish poop to plant nutrients pointless? Or should I just use worms and no bacteria?
You cannot keep the fish for very long without doing lots of water changes unless you have nitrifyers growing well. They are absolutely required to at least convert the NH3 to NO3 (sequence of oxidation goes ---> NH3 --> NO2 (still toxic) ---> NO3.

There's a LOT to know just about keeping fish, and keeping them healthy. You're adding the plant life cycle to this mix. I suggest learning about the nitrification cycle to start, then decide if you really want to do this with fish. If you do, I'm happy to answer what questions I can.

My first BIG recommendation is to quarantine ALL NEW ARRIVALS for a minimum of 30 days for observation. If they go 30 days disease free, they are safe to put in the main system.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Last time I tried putting my stereo under water I got shocked LOL :(

that was a play on your title aquaphonics... :) Couldnt resist

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@Seamaiden would be much like having or using the Berlin method of reefkeeping, some sort of live rock or similar to keep the nitrifers going and have a place to live correct?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes! That's really the role your grow beds play.

Man.. you keep talkin' that reefer talk to me, hoo boy!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes! That's really the role your grow beds play.

Man.. you keep talkin' that reefer talk to me, hoo boy!
LOL ya no pun on the reefer either. :D I am actually considering breaking out my 120 gall and get back into it. Would be eniromentally responsible as I have lots of old contacts I can source coral frags from. Should I take the plunge I will keep my fishy little friend in the loop. ;) the only thing holding me back is I work full time, plus my garden and as you know even with all the automation reefkeeping is a lot of work!!!! Not sure if ole Cactus has enough azz left with just work and garden.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh jeez.... yeah, remember, I had to get a job in the trade to keep up with my habit. Since Dave and I disagree on the how's, doing the AP has been relatively simple (he just needed to see why I wanted things plumbed the way I wanted them plumbed, and experience is indeed the best teacher). But my dad's gotten into keeping fish and I have to say, I'm bit.

D

dab science

@Seamaiden so should i start a worm compost pile to feed the tank of string algea and the pool of duckweed? Like throw a handful of compost in the water for nutrients? I picked a fish tank for the string algae because the glass is see through and if I leave it in the greenhouse it will get plenty of sunlight for algae production also I will leave duckweed pond in there aswell to prevent bugs from getting in them they will be self contained tanks not connected to the fish and plant tanks I plan on stacking the actual comtainer with the fish and the container with the plants on top of each other with a frame to give about a foot of space inbetween them

D

dab science

So at the end of the green house the agaae tank will be next to the duck weed tank and ill put 2 rows on the sides for the fish and plants

D

dab science

If I need more for there diet what should I inplenent into what I listed to make them taste good?

D

dab science

Can I just get some water from a aquaphonics pond and just add it to my new water to get the bacteria and will it do well with the clay hydro grow medium s

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@Seamaiden so should i start a worm compost pile to feed the tank of string algea and the pool of duckweed? Like throw a handful of compost in the water for nutrients? I picked a fish tank for the string algae because the glass is see through and if I leave it in the greenhouse it will get plenty of sunlight for algae production also I will leave duckweed pond in there aswell to prevent bugs from getting in them they will be self contained tanks not connected to the fish and plant tanks I plan on stacking the actual comtainer with the fish and the container with the plants on top of each other with a frame to give about a foot of space inbetween them
You could certainly do that, but I have found that the red wigglers do better if you simply establish them in the grow beds. The hair algae will grow as long as it gets light and if there's excess P in the water then it'll be an explosion.

What are you growing the hair algae for? And! Have you considered crawdaddies or freshwater prawns here? The crawdaddies are fighters, but with enough space they'll do ok. The FW prawns are less prone to fight and can be grown out in netting 'condos' (think of drying racks, but under water) where each animal takes its own level.
If I need more for there diet what should I inplenent into what I listed to make them taste good?
I love raising mealworms for this, and black soldier fly larvae can be set up to self-feed for you. The plus side of the mealworms is the frass, the plus side of the BSF larvae is they turn just about ANYTHING into compost better than worms will. Including meats.
Worms for fish food? Worms in the grow medium?
Both if you like, but for animals like tilapia and bluegill you may need to chop 'em up for them.

If you're on Facebook there's a group called OU812 and the guy running it has a pretty neat setup and videos showing how to do a few of these things, including the self-feeding BSF rig.

Latest posts

Top Bottom