Any future for caregivers in post-64 CO?

• Thread starter Green Mopho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Mopho

Green Mopho

So between the newly formed Amendment 64 task force and the previous trend in the state with MMJ a la HB1284 and the MMED, what does the future hold for the small time quality growers? Looks like market prices have taken a little slump, doctors are being pressured into writing lower plant count recs, and Denver PD seem to be back to busting folks again. I hate to admit it, and I was pro-64 before the election, but things are looking grim out there for caregivers. Anyone think there will be open opportunity for business or wholesale in the recreational market for smaller connoisseur-niche growers or caregivers? I've heard some people saying optimistic things about the retail shops and being able to "vend" to them like the old days, but with the new task forces and everything, it looks like its gonna be badges, cameras, and tracking systems in October 2013. Is the grass greener on the other side? Or will it be business as usual with the suits taking over?

sedate

sedate

green morpho said:
So between the newly formed Amendment 64 task force and the previous trend in the state with MMJ a la HB1284 and the MMED, what does the future hold for the small time quality growers?

Economically speaking, small-batch growers might do okay after rec-stores open up, as the blow-off valve of national prohibition should serve to cushion prices for sometime - even after retail stores open up,

But this would take skill - a fairly large home installation and considerable networking talents.

Possible - but difficult for sure.

green morpho said:
but things are looking grim out there for caregivers.

green morpho said:
Anyone think there will be open opportunity for business or wholesale in the recreational market for smaller connoisseur-niche growers or caregivers?

Private caregivers seem to be already all but instinct. I know few who can keep it up - much less compete with the relent price/selection pressure of the larger dispensaries.

I know a bunch of cats who've taken everything down in the last year - between the work keeping it up and the ever dropping price - never mind how long peepz are sitting on stashes now - private growers are shutting down these days. Notice how EMPTY hydro stores are compared to 18 months ago?

I have $5000 worth of gear in my garage - good stuff - magnum reflectors, 1000w ballasts, CAN fans/filters - from friends who gave up. I'm seriously out of space to install it anywhere.

green morpho said:
I've heard some people saying optimistic things about the retail shops and being able to "vend" to them like the old days, but with the new task forces and everything

Not a chance in hell. Whatever comes out of rec shops - assuming they ever open - will be regulated and taxed with a death-grip, Believe that.

green morpho said:
Is the grass greener on the other side? Or will it be business as usual with the suits taking over?

Caregivers must get big or go home. With national prohibition, the local scene should have enough cake for everyone.

Let us hope.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

What do you mean about go big? How big? 30kW or larger commercial operations without MMED scrutiny? Already getting into the warehouse range at that point, and not many people can produce consistent quality at that scale. Therefore you are just blowing it up like the next guy with B grades, B+ at best, and only further contributing to the already existant surplus in supply thats causing the problems in the first place. Plus, how can you justify a setup that large as far as plant count?

dirk d

dirk d

look at tobacco. look how big business took it over. they won't even allow you to grow your own tobacco lol CO law is a joke imo. Let's tax everything to death and then when the industry is smashed move on.

Take a look at how they tricked the people of WA into thinking opening up liquor sales was going to lower prices lol They just added another tax and are trying to kill the small alcohol seller. It's only a matter of time before the MJ industry is infected with the stench and disease of Big Business.

K

kuz

If they allow retail something like an alcohol model, it could be a billion dollar business, when they realize that they just might go there,I doubt it, but it could happen. And I dont expect them to let small guys vend, but they should. There is no reason not to let the basement grower wholesale, no license, no permit, nothing. Its just a crop, you grow a bunch of tomatoes and you haul them to the market and sell them, no special permission is required from anybody. There is no sales tax on wholesale. Farmers supposed to be real honest and tell the irs how much cash they take in at the market, but thats the farmers responsibility to report. Not that growers would ever be allowed to sell direct to the public, wouldnt that be awesome, weed markets. Regulate the retail sales, and let the growers in. Its hard for some people to imagine life with such little government involvement. A couple thousand basement growers supplying retail, one oz at a time. lol. It would be a good thing, imo.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
There is no room for basement growers who want to play by the rules and make a living, that is for sure.

State run stores that only sell weed that tests at 10% ain't gonna happen. Everyone knows there is no money in that. All shops will be state licensed of course, but not state run. I do believe that if you have the capital to play by the rules at a commercial scale, there will still be money to be made.

Sure tobacco is regulated, but when was the last bust of an illegal tobacco grow? I have mixed feelings about regulation. Someone needs to keep these dispensaries from cranking out weed laden with toxic chems, mildew, pests, and contaminants. They were certainly won't stop without being forced to do so.

outwest

putembk

putembk

Like you analogy regarding tomatoes pop. I grow some of the best tomatoes you can get in the summer. Same with what I grow in the winter. Connoisseur's will always be after the good things in life. Thus a demand will continue to be there for the ones who can deliver such a product. No, I don't believe the state or the feds are going to allow you to make millions or even a decent living doing this in Colorado but there will be a place for the hobby (tent) grower if one will stay within his/her sphere of influence.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

The government just wants their cut like always and they cant get it when people are growing and bartering/selling amongst themselves,they continue to spend more and more money everyday with very very little benefit going back to the people so they need more and more revenue streams to keep up,the politicians and elite are getting rich though.
We may as well just crown a fucking king at this rate.

putembk

putembk

Obama smoking

King Obama

K

kuz

There is no room for basement growers who want to play by the rules and make a living, that is for sure.

State run stores that only sell weed that tests at 10% ain't gonna happen. Everyone knows there is no money in that. All shops will be state licensed of course, but not state run. I do believe that if you have the capital to play by the rules at a commercial scale, there will still be money to be made.

Sure tobacco is regulated, but when was the last bust of an illegal tobacco grow? I have mixed feelings about regulation. Someone needs to keep these dispensaries from cranking out weed laden with toxic chems, mildew, pests, and contaminants. They were certainly won't stop without being forced to do so.

outwest
Idiot's selling contaminated herb. Market value for cannabis elevates the level of stupidity out there. The dark side of greed. Yeah, having some accountability to the source is an issue. Still rather role the dice than depend on gov regulations to help me out.

Yep fishwhistle
Michelle sure enjoys life as the Queen

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
Are you in full compliance with state law? If so, hats off to ya!

outwest

My grow is compliant, as far as plant count goes, but I am one of the few Caregivers who actually has the stones to deal with real live sick people, Stage IV Cancer, Muscular Dystrophy, etc... My patients know if needed, they will go to court with me, and I can't see any D.A. wanting my MD patient on the stand, it would make the DA look like a heart-less bastard. However-----

Why does the bar get set with "STATE LAW?"

We are all DRUG DEALERS, act accordingly, or be a Poster Boy..... remember Chris Barkowicz? That guy is still in prison!

Abiding by STATE LAW and MAKING MONEY has always been a myth.....

If anyone wants to claim they are making a living selling to patients, now would be a good ime to speak up, I know at least a few in this thread who won't be saying shit!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
My grow is compliant, as far as plant count goes, but I am one of the few Caregivers who actually has the stones to deal with real live sick people, Stage IV Cancer, Muscular Dystrophy, etc... My patients know if needed, they will go to court with me, and I can't see any D.A. wanting my MD patient on the stand, it would make the DA look like a heart-less bastard. However-----

Why does the bar get set with "STATE LAW?"

We are all DRUG DEALERS, act accordingly, or be a Poster Boy..... remember Chris Barkowicz? That guy is still in prison!

Abiding by STATE LAW and MAKING MONEY has always been a myth.....

If anyone wants to claim they are making a living selling to patients, now would be a good ime to speak up, I know at least a few in this thread who won't be saying shit!

No judgement here, but that was my point. As I stated before you simply can't be state compliant and make a buck. Plants counts have to be the silliest measure ever. It would only make sense as a measure if every plant yielded the same amount, every time. Like 2 ounces. Ha!

outwest

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
No judgement here, but that was my point. As I stated before you simply can't be state compliant and make a buck. Plants counts have to be the silliest measure ever. It would only make sense as a measure if every plant yielded the same amount, every time. Like 2 ounces. Ha!

outwest

Agreed, but that's been true since HB-1284 limited Caregivers to five patients. How can you make a living off five patients, and pay rent/mortgage/electric/food/car, etc... so, it's been this way for at least 2.5 years, why all the fuss now?

Seriously, it's a lot of drama about not much, just grow better, or grow more...... if you really like growing, you will adapt. If you'd rather complain, well, this is a GREAT OPPORTUNITY!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Agreed, but that's been true since HB-1284 limited Caregivers to five patients. How can you make a living off five patients, and pay rent/mortgage/electric/food/car, etc... so, it's been this way for at least 2.5 years, why all the fuss now?

Seriously, it's a lot of drama about not much, just grow better, or grow more...... if you really like growing, you will adapt. If you'd rather complain, well, this is a GREAT OPPORTUNITY!

Move to the hills and fire your lights up. Been rocking over 25kw for a minute now. I'm not the only one.

No. One. Cares.

turbo

Whatever higher power you believe in, may it bless both of you, and keep both your gardens green!

outwest

putembk

putembk

At the end of the day each individual has to evaluate their own risk they are willing to take to get the benefit they want. There is NO way the gov't at any level is going to let you open "HONEST ED'S POT EMPORIUM". Anybody who thinks (living here or not) they are going to settle in Colorado and become rich and famous selling herb is going to spend some time in the crow bar hotel. Your ass is going to get shut down and you will spend the next 18 month defending yourself using up all resources trying to stay free. The rules that have been given to us make it almost impossible to stay compliant but I am going to try my best to keep the man away from my front door and enjoy myself while doing so. Stay safe and use some common sense.

Top Bottom