Any good Advice please Aus

• Thread starter crypto03
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

crypto03

Hi Guys,
First time grower here any advice. These bad girls are only 12 days old. I’m pretty sure they are doing well. Have got one set of single leaf, one set of 3 point and either true set coming through or another set of three point first. I’m currently growing under lights for evening but started transition them outside for the day to get them use to growing outdoors this last week has been extremely windy so have made a bind breaker out of a cage fridge basket and glad wrap. I have had the opportunity to grow them so I have but I’m actually growing against typical grow seasons here in QLD Aus. I think it’s usually Aug- March but I have started 1st March so if they flower might just take longer and smaller yield ( I’m chill with). Anyone had success with outdoor winter grow? QLD is a pretty hot state and winters are mild really not frost just shorter days. They look pretty healthy so far in terms of growth I think they look good for 1 1/2 weeks. No signs of stress or light burn or deficiency. Any advice for winter grows ?

Any good advice please aus
Any good advice please aus 2
B

Bdubs

The number of fingers on your new growth is down to 1. You should see 3 then 5. Yours is 3 then 1. There is a problem in your root zone.

After 1 1/2 weeks of veg those pots are too small. Technically they are still in seedling stage 4 weeks from the time of breaking soil. So you can’t start your veg timer just yet. But when my seedlings are at that stage, their roots would have consumed that whole starter pot. It is possible that the root stress you have is from lack of space for roots to grow. Soil may be too moist all the time or too dry, either one will cause root rot.

I would upsize the pot and go from there. Give them nice warm conditions after transplant though.

B

Bdubs

You have to know what you’ve done and your process to determine the cause of the lower leaf count. It isn’t a small signal it’s a major one. You have to find out why and correct it for her.

If those sit outside over night, cold soil/temps can be a problem. Cold temps lower transpiration and then couple that with low humidity and she can’t transpire and stomata closes. You’ve got a lot of things to contend with growing outside, in pots it is even harder to keep soil temps up to snuff. If they are planted in the ground, there is a lot more temperature retention than the small thin starter pots.

B

Bdubs

Notice how the one on the right has 3 leaf as its newest growth. That one is more healthy, but still treading the same path as the larger one. That is what made me assume the roots are bound or struggling in the small pots. If let go, and I am correct, I bet the right plant develops another 3 leaf or 1 leaf next as she grows and roots fill the starter pot more. But she is stressed as she should have popped a 5 leaf after the 3 leaf on the right plant.

Root rot is always any growers worst nightmare. I throw it out there because reduced finger count is very bad and detrimental to the plants future growth. In my experience reduced leaf count ends up being root rot or pest infestation. Example: Like gnat maggots chomping away at the roots.

I would say it is genetics, but she already proved to you she can make 3 leafs and she has failed to make 5. Like I said, unless you have ruderalis but even then, single leaf after 3 leaf without continuing 3 leaf would even be a major signal to a ruderalis, even if it were only capable of making 3 leafs, any less than 3 from the time she makes 3 fingers, is the same signal.

B

Bdubs

Get them babies inside and veg them indoors. Allow the plant to get older before they chill outside in any container/ground. As cannabis plants grow, they increase their ability to protect themselves from all forms. They also increase growth hormones as they age and their vigor is more. (This is why people veg so long, to increase growth hormones, which is depicted by age not size). This is also why it is best practice to take cuts from an older plant in veg, that cut will have the growth hormones, the same as the mother it was cut from. That causes more vigorous growth out of your cuttings/clones.

Sorry ranting on information for you. Get them warm, new soil and increase the humidity. Humidity and temps will be the limiting factor in an outdoor “winter” grow.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
You are down to 12 hours and 17 minutes daylight and falling! If they are photos, you will probably have to add some supplemental lighting to keep the total up close to 14 hours or they will probably flower on you as soon as they are old enough! The temps look good though! This might be one of those rare occasions when an auto would be preferable!

Last edited:
C

crypto03

Get them babies inside and veg them indoors. Allow the plant to get older before they chill outside in any container/ground. As cannabis plants grow, they increase their ability to protect themselves from all forms. They also increase growth hormones as they age and their vigor is more. (This is why people veg so long, to increase growth hormones, which is depicted by age not size). This is also why it is best practice to take cuts from an older plant in veg, that cut will have the growth hormones, the same as the mother it was cut from. That causes more vigorous growth out of your cuttings/clones.

Sorry ranting on information for you. Get them warm, new soil and increase the humidity. Humidity and temps will be the limiting factor in an outdoor “winter” grow.
Hey Man, here’s an update for you. It’s been 3 days since I posted. I decided to repot them as they had always been a bit leggy from the first week before I had fixed the lighting height now that they have a bit more sets of leaves and the upper part of the stem is thickening they started to lean. So I repotted them up to just under the cotyledons. (With the exact same potting mix ratio) and gave it a good watering with half strength seaweed/ compost concentrate now the leaves have pretty much straight away dried and curled slightly with a slight brown colouration. Any suggestions to help fit this ? Also do they look a like better now ?first photos are from this morning before reporting and last is of the dry curl in the leafs

IMG 4994
IMG 4995
IMG 4997
IMG 4998
IMG 5015
IMG 5016
Top Bottom