Any ideas on how to boost humidity for free?

• Thread starter CannaTyger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
illmatik

illmatik

A wet rag did an amazing job of raising the humidity of my grow tent. I just leave the rag in the corner of my drain pan where my run-off collects before being pumped out. Before using the rag, I had tried a humidifier in the grow tent and it did not work very well at all.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
also you can usually find humidifiers cheap on buy and sell pages. That's where I got mine for $20. If you find an ultrasonic and it's not working properly just soak all the lower resivoir where the evaporator and water sensor are in hot oxyclean, then hot vinegar. Rinse it and should be good as new. When they scale up from hard water they dont work as well and that's when people let them go cheap lol.

illmatik

illmatik

I don't know what I was doing wrong but I bought a brand new humidifier and threw it in my tent. It was basically pumping out steam 24/7 until it ran out out of water after about a day. It never got my RH above 50% though. Perhaps there was too much airflow where the humidifer was?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

also you can usually find humidifiers cheap on buy and sell pages. That's where I got mine for $20. If you find an ultrasonic and it's not working properly just soak all the lower resivoir where the evaporator and water sensor are in hot oxyclean, then hot vinegar. Rinse it and should be good as new. When they scale up from hard water they dont work as well and that's when people let them go cheap lol.
I prefer the ultrasonic also... I always use RO or distilled water it increases the life by a huge amount. Thanks for the cleaning tips.

BigCube

BigCube

I don't know what I was doing wrong but I bought a brand new humidifier and threw it in my tent. It was basically pumping out steam 24/7 until it ran out out of water after about a day. It never got my RH above 50% though. Perhaps there was too much airflow where the humidifer was?

If you have a constant exhaust fan, you're just blowing it out.

The way to do it in the tent would be to have your exhaust fan on a thermostat so it only comes on when the temperature gets high enough. That way your fan has off time, so your moisture can stick around. Same with co2.

CannaTyger

CannaTyger

If you have a constant exhaust fan, you're just blowing it out.

The way to do it in the tent would be to have your exhaust fan on a thermostat so it only comes on when the temperature gets high enough. That way your fan has off time, so your moisture can stick around. Same with co2.
Yeah thats kinda how i have mine set up. I have fans on the same timer as the lights, then i jave the humidifier set up to a humidity controlled outlet (when humidity drops below 45 it kicks the humidifier on, goes above 60 it shuts off)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I prefer the ultrasonic also... I always use RO or distilled water it increases the life by a huge amount. Thanks for the cleaning tips.
Same, RO only. I've read using regular tap water can lead to a calcium/mineral buildup on the plants leaves. And yeah, doesnt scale up the humidifier.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I didn't know what an ultrasonic humidifier was until an earlier post here but I think I saw one at the store on Tuesday 30% off seniors day lol not only do I get stuff for $4.99 - $7.99 I get 30% off. I'll see if its still there next week.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Ive got a budget set up goin on here. Most of it i puchased a little at a time starting about 8 months ago. I set it all up and started these about 2 months ago (i know theyre super behind because the light i started them with was really only designed for 1 seedling so it was really just barely keeping them going. So i finally got my 1000w led light and they started shooting up. Problem now is i just started introducing them to over 30% humidity and theyre taking off even more but with the "humidifier" i have its having trouble getting above 45%. Any ideas how i can add some more humidity other than get another humidifier or putting a bowl of water in there? Anyways heres some pictures. The humidifier is actually a fog machine atomizer i took apart and tossed into a bowl of water and plugged into a humidity controlled outlet. 2 fans 1 for circulation one for air cycling. 2.5x 2.5x3.5 grow tent. (The last picture with the 25% humidity is with the door open)View attachment 906144View attachment 906145View attachment 906146View attachment 906147
Set a bowl of water in front of ur fans if possible

Top Bottom