Any ideas on ways to drain water from soil pots

• Thread starter tonyl50
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tonyl50

I have 50 plants in bloom room, in 5 gal soil pots with saucers under them. I am finding it very strenuous to be lifting the pots, putting them in a longer tub to flush them. Is there any ideas on how to water or flush without individually moving the pots? Like somehow ditching the saucers and having a slanting floor to a hose drain or something? I'm 60 years old, and pretty strenuous. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreaciated - or any links to articles, etc.

Thanks ya'll

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'd use a length of PVC under one edge. I'm only 46 (haw!), but my back is straight up f'cked and I can't move 5gal buckets anymore, either.

Also, you might want to look into growing in pure perlite in a hempy style, which is a type of passive hydroponics. I am currently using 30gal tubs from Walmart and a sump pump to move the fertilizer (I am SO glad I spent that $70, shoulda spent more and gotten the 1/3hp pump!) with a length of hose and a valved watering wand.

So, if your room's floor won't be damaged, I'd say spend a few $$ on a sump pump that can get down to 1/4" or better (some of the better pumps can take it down to 1/8"), slightly tip the pots onto lengths of PVC and let 'em flow.

budboy299

budboy299

Only thing I can think of is putting a plywood tray under them and lining it with pond liner. then either a sump pump or wet vac to take up the runoff.
wish I could think of another option...I too know the joys of a wrecked back!

E

ent

I think you nailed it tony. Get a 4x8 slab of plywood for about $15 and line it with 2mill painters plastic. Keep it on a slight incline and put a hole in one corner and connect a hose to it. if it is slightly elevated you can drain it. you can then connect a small 1/2 gallon reservoir with a float valve and a pump to pump the water out of the room.

I have something like this and it works well.
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-...ensate/dp/B000AHT6T4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

I build a sandbox style pool with 1x6's... then line it with panda or poly like you would a coy pound.. then I lay cattle grate or diamond grate over the pool.. the buckets drain right into to pool.. no more moving pots.. You may have to build a nice wood frame to support the weight of grate and buckets full of water.. Then you need to buy a wet vac or pump to remove the water from your pools or elevate your pools with cynder blocks and make drain to waste hose.. jmo

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you're gonna go to all that trouble, then get some cheap sets of sturdy plastic shelving from wherever (Lowe's'll match competitor prices) and some pre-fab trays. Anything can be set under one edge of the tray (drilled at one end) to create enough slant for proper drainage. Or, a cheap kiddie pool can be set on the slanted ply or plastic shelving could be both drilled and plumbed with drains. You'd pay much less for the pools, but they're round, much less sturdy and will still need support for slanting (but you were gonna buy that anyway, right?).

I went ahead and got trays, got a decent deal on them, don't care if they don't match. Here's how I have them, yours would just need more head room since you're in 5gal buckets/pots, and something to catch and/or move the water, or allow it to move. I'm not running 50 plants in flower, either though, that's a lot of plants to touch.

CRW 8653 73010
SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

Get a Wet/Dry Shop Vac and suck up all the water,I know how you feel,this might be your best option for now,It's Hard work lifting them damn pots!! Defenitely easier to do that if you can't make the adjustments suggested by everyone else.

convex

convex

Small cheap kiddie pool or a drain table.

Edit:

Had a buddy who used washing machine drip pans for drain to waste. Just a thought.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

I build a sandbox style pool with 1x6's... then line it with panda or poly like you would a coy pound.. then I lay cattle grate or diamond grate over the pool.. the buckets drain right into to pool.. no more moving pots.. You may have to build a nice wood frame to support the weight of grate and buckets full of water.. Then you need to buy a wet vac or pump to remove the water from your pools or elevate your pools with cynder blocks and make drain to waste hose.. jmo

i've read of grows which are considered ebb and flow being in a sandbox style table. (32) 11L containers, packed tight, with soil. he flooded the table until there was just 1" of standing water. over a period of 4 days the pots would soak it up and use it (bottom watered). he watered when the wet spot under a pot went away. he used enzymes to break down excess salts. he got 1 g/W.

what about hot organic soil mix...no salts to add or build up.
hth

S

SSHZ

I don't know if it's been said but I aim fans to blow at root level,,,,,, this dries things out quickly.

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

i've read of grows which are considered ebb and flow being in a sandbox style table. (32) 11L containers, packed tight, with soil. he flooded the table until there was just 1" of standing water. over a period of 4 days the pots would soak it up and use it (bottom watered). he watered when the wet spot under a pot went away. he used enzymes to break down excess salts. he got 1 g/W.

what about hot organic soil mix...no salts to add or build up.
hth

Thats a very interesting technique Crysmatic.. Sound simple and efficient.. There are so many different ways to make growing easier.. Thanks for sharing!!

T

tonyl50

Thanks everyone! Such good ideas. Really gave some great ideas, and I'll either go with slant and drain (most probably), and/or the shop/vac idea will help too. Glad to know I'm not the only one with a back that is bad, and the lifting of heavy pots. Thanks again. You all are great

S

Surfr

I just picked up three 4'x4' trays to use.. Just put a plastic tub underneath the center hole to drain and your good to go...

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
You should look into the washing machine plastic trays. They are to be put underneath your washing machine in case of a leak. They are about 30" x30" and have a 3" lip all they way around.Cheap= $15. I use a shopvac to collect my runoff out of the tray when finished watering. RB

Latest posts

Top Bottom