...any old timey boxing fans out there?

• Thread starter justanotherbozo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

yeah, i decided to re-watch 'The Fighter' last night and it brought me back to the days when 'Irish' Mickey Ward was still fighting, back before the MMA boom when the only weapons they were allowed were thier gloved fists.

so anyway, tonight i decided to go see if there were any Mickey Ward fights on YouTube and lo and behold i found the Ward vs Gatti trilogy and i remembered them being good fights so i watched all three and man were they ever good, ...if you dig that sort of thing, lol.

a couple things worth noting is that Mickey turned 37 before the second fight and he also announced, just before the third fight started, that he would be retiring after this third Gatti fight, he was almost 38.

...and these are links to the entire fights and not just to highlights.

so, anyone else have any personal favorites they'd like to share, maybe some Oscar, or Roy? ...how about Sugar Ray?

speaking of which, here is a link to the Dickie Eklund vs Sugar Ray Leonard fight, back before Dickie became a crack head. (you'll remember that Dickie is Mickey Ward's half brother, hence the different last names)

peace, bozo

Natural

Natural

Bloodsports! I always feel a small amount of guilt after watching a good fight. I've seen guys get hauled off unconscious out of the ring and left wondering if they lived. I have always wondered who would win, in an Ali vs Marciano fight. Ali was the greatest..but Marciano had a unique style with a knockout punch...would've made the greatest fight in history. I always liked Sugar Ray Leonard and I was glad the eye thing got him out before the sport did too much damage. He could throw some fast punches.

K

kolah

ALI! a childhood hero of mine...I still love the guy...he made boxing popular...and he was the greatest...only wish he'd retired earlier. His Frazier and Foreman fights I have watched multiple times...and his early fights were awesome as well. He also took a stance on racial issues and said FU to the wars.

putembk

putembk

ALI! a childhood hero of mine...I still love the guy...he made boxing popular...and he was the greatest...only wish he'd retired earlier. His Frazier and Foreman fights I have watched multiple times...and his early fights were awesome as well. He also took a stance on racial issues and said FU to the wars.
Still remember listening to (wasn't televised) the first Ali/Liston fight. Liston took a dive, imo, but was the start of a great career. Also liked Norton, Leonard and Hearns. Used to be a huge boxing fan, now, meh. Love the UFC now.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Had a girlfriend once. could not cook but you should have seen her box....

putembk

putembk

Pryor vs Arguello 15 rounder
Great fight...isn't that the one where Pryor was accused of taking the padding out of his gloves and had something in his water?
Haggler/Hearns...lost my ass on that one. Thought Hearns would win. Short but exciting fight. I have Tyson's autograph. Spent about 20 min at the black jack table with him in vegas before he became champ.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Yup his corner man goes "give me the water, no the black bottle with the special water" Pryor comes out and throws punches in bunches that were thrown with animosity .....those guys never the same after that fight

putembk

putembk

Yup his corner man goes "give me the water, no the black bottle with the special water" Pryor comes out and throws punches in bunches that were thrown with animosity .....those guys never the same after that fight
If I remember right Arguello retired after that fight. How about George Forman and Ron Lyle? One of the best fights ever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom