Any Problems With Using Aluminium For Trays And Res In Hydro System?

• Thread starter Horto
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Horto

Horto

I am interested to hear if there is any issues for roots on aluminum Trays?
Also if an Aluminum Res could cause any nutrient problems?

Has anybody used coated Aluminum profiles.

Horto

Horto

Here is what I think regarding Aluminum.
Aluminum forms a coating that protects from further corrosion, why it is used in Evaporative Air-conditioners.
Aluminum is used for cooking and storing foods.

Not claiming the following document is totally correct, but it looks at the accumulation of Aluminum in lettuce grown in a non-circulating Hydroponic System.

Not making claim it is safe or not.
The Aluminum would only have two weeks to build up, before the nutrients were replaced?

Happy to here to hear what folks think.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The only time I've had a problem using aluminum materials was when I used some to make a cheap reflector over a coral reef system. The saltwater splash caused it to corrode pretty badly. No splashing, no corrosion, right?

I think if you're talking about those cheap baking pans, you'll be alright. :)

Horto

Horto

The only time I've had a problem using aluminum materials was when I used some to make a cheap reflector over a coral reef system. The saltwater splash caused it to corrode pretty badly. No splashing, no corrosion, right?

I think if you're talking about those cheap baking pans, you'll be alright. :)

Salt water is far more corrosive then Nutrient solutions.
Aluminum boats still last a long time.

Aluminum is not good for you , but the low concentration in leaves it is not going to do a lot of harm.
I would not use a large Aluminum Res, and risk the general health of plants with mixing.
But if the Aluminum is laying around and handy, I would be inclined to use it and save money.

It is a difficult question?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Saltwater is incredibly corrosive, I would be quite surprised if someone were running nutrient solutions that end up corroding metals the way saltwater does.

I thought I answered the question, in my opinion (but not experience, especially since it's not something I've had tested) you should be alright using it.

The paper you've shared seems to say that Al levels aren't changed by being grown in something like a soda can. The connection with Alzheimer's... what I've been reading seems to be showing other things at play.

Horto

Horto

The connection with Alzheimer's... what I've been reading seems to be showing other things at play.

Yes, early research often finds the effects before cause.
Although the research with cans doesn't show high levels of Aluminum, the accumulation of such substances across many low level sources is a concern. Once a product is readily used in manufacturing for food industry, the truth becomes blurred.

If someone asks, that's what I would say.

What I do is different.
The way I look at from a position that would only effect me.
I have done somethings in ignorance of all the info and had a few nasty accident, enough asbestos and seriously dangerous farm chemical in me to kill a small elephant.

There is a little less concern about a bit of Aluminum.
I use a big stick to vigorously mix any chemical into the Res.
The Nutrient Bubbles with agitation and some plastic gets scrapped in process.
Re: mixing with Aluminum Res.

Good luck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom