Any recomendations for a good lightmeter?

• Thread starter WestCoaster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WestCoaster

WestCoaster

I did a search, but only found some bare bones posts, three plus years old.

What I am looking for is some recommendations for a good quality light meter to track indoor MH & HPS bulb degradation.

I owned a good one over ten years ago but for the life of me I can not remember the name of the manufacturer.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

WC.

sedate

sedate

Hey there. No recommendations just a warning..

I had an old hydrofarm that worked great. But I got the new one a few weeks ago:

And it really sort of sucks. It takes light samples on some fraction of a second so it actually jumps around under mag cores instead of averaging its own display output and then it displays 1000's of footcandles which is sort of a less useful way to display output readings IMHO than the previous model.

Really cheesy meter. Cheaply made and poorly designed. Avoid that thing.

WestCoaster

WestCoaster

I am looking at this meter currently as I think it has a wide enough range to cover any wattage bulb I will have plus it has settings for different kinds of light sources, sodium, mercury vapor, etc.:

http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=10&prodid=64

Certainly not the most expensive out there but a lot of high end meters have features that are all but worthless in an indoor gardening environment.

WC.

chazbolin

chazbolin

As previously stated; the HF meter is junk and you should buy a good quantum meter where you will measure the uMoles of light being emitted. Not footcandles, lumens or lux.

This is a case where you actually do get what you pay for (model no 3415F):

Last edited:
Top Bottom