any soil good to start?

• Thread starter burn4me
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
burn4me

burn4me

is it ok to just run to local garden section and pick up soil? if so recommended soil? want to get started and its cheaper.... thanks

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Patioplusnewbag
Lowes or home depot. for 5 bucks a bag

or you could get Black Gold soil for about 10 bucks at a local nursery

burn4me

burn4me

awesome.....
so that and some nutes? is there a cheap way for nutes or am i SOL and just gotta get online and bite the bullet?
and thanks btw

burn4me

burn4me

was looking at
Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Soil Combo Kit: Grow and Bloom for Soil
its cheap and for noobs such as i am but what else? those #s seem low
grow:2-3-4 bloom:1-4-5.....that sound right? or do i need others?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Botanicare is good stuff..go with that!
those numbers are good..go half strength when the plants are young

are you growing seeds or clones?

burn4me

burn4me

seeds to start. plan on cloning once i make it past germ. and sexing. really nervous. is that all or should i get something else

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thats all you really need...Dont feed the seedlings till they have some real leaves..
and when you do feed them, start with 1/4 strenth nutes
You might want to save up for a good PH meter

are you using T5 lights?

burn4me

burn4me

will when money is better. starting with CFL to veg then 600w hps. and i have ph tester kit from fish store with up and down additives.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
keep that cfl really close to the seedlings (couple inches away)
if you dont, they will stretch and fall over

Natural

Natural

I don't get the attraction to hot bagged-soils really. I clone and propagate in plain peat moss with dechlorinated tap water (aerated for 24 hrs). My seedlings won't get 1/4 strength nutes until around 3 weeks, after good sets of true leaves have matured. The only problem with this method is for hungry sativas who may need up-potting and weak nutes a wee bit earlier. Charged commercial soils have only served to complicate my control factors.

burn4me

burn4me

I don't get the attraction to hot bagged-soils really. I clone and propagate in plain peat moss with dechlorinated tap water (aerated for 24 hrs). My seedlings won't get 1/4 strength nutes until around 3 weeks, after good sets of true leaves have matured. The only problem with this method is for hungry sativas who may need up-potting and weak nutes a wee bit earlier. Charged commercial soils have only served to complicate my control factors.

bro love the advice but im the noob village idiot lol.... looking to get started for as cheap as possible plus no paper trail on my cards and what not. while weed just became legal on the medical side not for me. pluuuuuuus parole.....:facepalm:

Natural

Natural

I don't think you're gonna be able to go a whole grow on just supped up soil..unless you're gonna be buying bulk ingredients and do it yourself..which is expensive and the same course as buying simple bottle nutes. Borrow a car..pay cash..get a cheap nute set and you're golden.

Natural

Natural

..pretty sure you can use those "up to $600 gift card visas" for most online orders btw. Also look for some cheap peat moss at nurseries or garden safe soils can be ok..I stay away from hot-soils...they can be troublesome. Stay away from anything with time release bullshit in it..and like Ken says..mix supped-soil with peat. Especially when they are young.

Natural

Natural

natural could u give examples of soil u speak?

I use pro-mix bales. One is enough for 1K of lights. Black Gold makes a good soil as does Roots Organic..as does Botanicare etc etc...BUT these get expensive and are not strong enough to get you through a cycle..it just helps replace some of your amendments/or bottled nutes. Beginner's bottled nutes is a long list. Some are salty..some are more organic. The cheapest easiest way to get a quality crop for dirt is straight peat moss and bottle nutes. Unless you just have a few plants or deep pockets I would avoid specialty soils.

burn4me

burn4me

ok thanks guess ill do some research on what im doing then jump in....thanks guys

Top Bottom