Any special treatment when reusing coco?

• Thread starter HG23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HG23

HG23

I just finished my first run in coco and am looking to reuse the old coco. I went through and tilled it up nicely and removed the main root masses as best as possible. I feel like I've heard some people say they use an enzyme product to help break down the old root matter and others say they just go ahead a reuse it without an enzyme. Also, is anyone recharging their coco with weak nutrient solution or anything like that? Please let me know your methods and experiences, thanks.

S

StonerB

I think the enzymes would help for sure and maybe even two kinds. Some enzymes are catalysts to speed up reactions while others are made to break stuff down. I dont remember which brand is which but im sure its on the farm somewhere. I would not recharge it. Coco holds nutes pretty well, if anything I would flush the hell out of it so you dont start your veg up with a ton of flower nutes left in there. Also use a lot of bennies when re using any media because if you keep your soil (coco) alive and feed the bennies they will in turn feed the roots just as nature intended. The only downside to this practice is the coco itself will start to break down into usable nutrients that will need to be acounted for down the road, most notablly you will need to reduce your Ca Mag. Even though coco is supposed to resist breaking down it does so pretty fast when using bennies and enzymes so continual ammending is required between evry crop to maintain its structure. Some of my favorite ammendments for structure are hydroton (chow mix) and stuff called birds nest coco. The birds nest coco is cool shit, it has great air/water holding capacity. Its a bit hard to find but once you try it you will praise it also. If you have the storage space and enough extra media you can even leave the root balls in to decompose and break down into nutrients. Subcool has very good techniqes for this in his TLO guides. When you finally see both quality and yeild done from true organics you will never go back. That being said I hope you were using organic nutes on the first batch done in this coco. If not you may seriously want to buy more and start again. Brewing guanos into teas is an awsome nutrient schedule, it simply takes time and space. Organics takes some patience but it is well worth the end result. No doubt with all these additions you will eventually have what could be called "soil" but when its coco based you are way better off. Many pests are attracted to peat so stay away from the peat and also perlite. Well ammended coco and hydroton is all you need.

COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

Dont reuse if u use heavy pk boosters or had fungus gnats or any root diseases. Otherwise a heavy enzyme dose and a good aact wil do the job. I also add fresh coco and some zho..

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

For my last round I enzymed, prayed over it, baked in the oven, then imidacloprid, then caps bennies. Last two are the only things i know work. RAs and fungs tried to war with me, all gone now, I won.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

I dont do shit. Put it in a bin and it sits till the next time I use it. done this for over 5 years. Ive sprayed all kinds of shit on it in the past, makes little too no difference if you take the time to do a side by side and look. Hell check out my latest grow that was reused canna coco. Best of luck amigo!

Z

zombywolf

I just finished my first run in coco and am looking to reuse the old coco. I went through and tilled it up nicely and removed the main root masses as best as possible. I feel like I've heard some people say they use an enzyme product to help break down the old root matter and others say they just go ahead a reuse it without an enzyme. Also, is anyone recharging their coco with weak nutrient solution or anything like that? Please let me know your methods and experiences, thanks.

I recycle Pro-mix for 8 crops- similar to coco. No problems, but I use Drip Clean from H&G in each gallon of fert for salt build ups. Never any problem.

BCrocker

BCrocker

My setup = Canna coco, perlite, hydrton mix... Canna A+B /etc, never over 1.8 EC in the round.. cannazyme the last week in the feedings/flushes , dump all the pots out after clip, pull as much root mass out as possible in a day, re-pot same day. Never any issues

mgk

mgk

I reuse coco without any issues. As long as it's flushed and I know it won't burn the immature ones when I re-pot.

S

swisscheese

I reused my coco in my bubba kush and whitefire beds without any special treatment besides letting them sit in contractor bags for a few months. Honestly the whole having to use tons of chemicals to keep fungus gnats and root aphids out of coco is starting to get old for me.

Top Bottom